You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

clintonb
08 October 2020 09:22 am

Hi all,

I bought an equinox 600 a few weeks ago and have been slowly trying to work it all out. I have taken it out a few time for a swing and I am slowly getting used to it. My question is do I need/should I have ear stiffeners to stop the ears braking off the coil or is this unnecessary.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Clinton

Jaros
08 October 2020 09:46 am

1602110738_doberman.jpg

Is this what you mean?

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

2 users like this post: Deepseeker, aussiefarmer

Deepseeker
08 October 2020 09:51 am

I think you're confusing your Ear Stiffeners with your Leg Chompers Jaros! smile

Try hard not to offend. Try even harder not to be offended.

Dave79
08 October 2020 09:58 am

I've been using mine as a brush cutter for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems with the coil ears, just my shaft getting a bit floppy awful but a bit of sikaflex in the joint sorted that out.

Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one keeps getting away!

clintonb
08 October 2020 10:26 am

Dave79 wrote:

I've been using mine as a brush cutter for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems with the coil ears, just my shaft getting a bit floppy awful but a bit of sikaflex in the joint sorted that out.

Thanks for the helpful information big_smile

Sandta
08 October 2020 01:05 pm

Dave79 wrote:

The ol ‘floppy shaft’ ay
Unfortunately that happens to most of us eventually cry

3 users like this post: Jaros, Thomo, Dave79

Clodmaster
08 October 2020 02:39 pm

I use ear stiffeners on my Nox as a precaution because I normally find a way of breaking things.

P.S. - Got rid of my floppy shaft some time ago and replaced it with a Detect-Ed one - no more shaftile dysfunction for me!

1 user likes this post: Sandta

clintonb
08 October 2020 02:41 pm

Clodmaster wrote:

I use ear stiffeners on my Nox as a precaution because I normally find a way of breaking things.

P.S. - Got rid of my floppy shaft some time ago and replaced it with a Detect-Ed one - no more shaftile dysfunction for me!

Thanks for the information big_smile

Goldpick
08 October 2020 06:58 pm

Also the Detect Ed carbon shaft doesn't require the stiffeners due to the wider coil mount, simply re-uses the stock rubber bushes. To be honest the Nox coil ears are pretty thin, especially when compared to those on my Deus. I suspect mainly due to Minelab trying to keep the overall weight of the detector down (every little bit counts).

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Equinox 600, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, XP MI-6, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

clintonb
08 October 2020 10:32 pm

Goldpick wrote:

Also the Detect Ed carbon shaft doesn't require the stiffeners due to the wider coil mount, simply re-uses the stock rubber bushes. To be honest the Nox coil ears are pretty thin, especially when compared to those on my Deus. I suspect mainly due to Minelab trying to keep the overall weight of the detector down (every little bit counts).

Yer thanks. I have been contemplating an up grade to the Detect Ed carbon shaft. Might wait and see how long I get out of the stock shaft first.

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site