You are not logged in.

  • Register to access all forum features  

#1

clintonb
Member
Joined: 11 September 2020
Posts: 9
Member
08 October 2020 09:22 am

Hi all,

I bought an equinox 600 a few weeks ago and have been slowly trying to work it all out. I have taken it out a few time for a swing and I am slowly getting used to it. My question is do I need/should I have ear stiffeners to stop the ears braking off the coil or is this unnecessary.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Clinton

#2

Jaros
Moderator
From: S.E.Qld., QLD
Joined: 11 August 2013
Posts: 12,983
Moderator
08 October 2020 09:46 am

1602110738_doberman.jpg

Is this what you mean?


F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

2 users like this post: Deepseeker, aussiefarmer

#3

Deepseeker
Member
Joined: 13 August 2018
Posts: 1,427
Member
08 October 2020 09:51 am

I think you're confusing your Ear Stiffeners with your Leg Chompers Jaros! smile


Try hard not to offend. Try even harder not to be offended.

#4

Dave79
Member
Joined: 30 May 2018
Posts: 1,342
Member
08 October 2020 09:58 am

I've been using mine as a brush cutter for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems with the coil ears, just my shaft getting a bit floppy awful but a bit of sikaflex in the joint sorted that out.


Prospecting must be like fishing, the big one keeps getting away!

#5

clintonb
Member
Joined: 11 September 2020
Posts: 9
Member
08 October 2020 10:26 am

Dave79 wrote:

I've been using mine as a brush cutter for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems with the coil ears, just my shaft getting a bit floppy awful but a bit of sikaflex in the joint sorted that out.

Thanks for the helpful information big_smile

#6

Sandta
Member
From: Newcastle, NSW
Joined: 04 June 2014
Posts: 4,406
Member
08 October 2020 01:05 pm

Dave79 wrote:

I've been using mine as a brush cutter for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems with the coil ears, just my shaft getting a bit floppy awful but a bit of sikaflex in the joint sorted that out.

The ol ‘floppy shaft’ ay
Unfortunately that happens to most of us eventually cry

3 users like this post: Jaros, Thomo, Dave79

#7

Clodmaster
Member
Joined: 14 July 2019
Posts: 153
Member
08 October 2020 02:39 pm

I use ear stiffeners on my Nox as a precaution because I normally find a way of breaking things.

P.S. - Got rid of my floppy shaft some time ago and replaced it with a Detect-Ed one - no more shaftile dysfunction for me!

1 user likes this post: Sandta

#8

clintonb
Member
Joined: 11 September 2020
Posts: 9
Member
08 October 2020 02:41 pm

Clodmaster wrote:

I use ear stiffeners on my Nox as a precaution because I normally find a way of breaking things.

P.S. - Got rid of my floppy shaft some time ago and replaced it with a Detect-Ed one - no more shaftile dysfunction for me!

Thanks for the information big_smile

#9

Goldpick
Moderator
From: Mount Gambier
Joined: 07 November 2013
Posts: 8,484
Moderator
08 October 2020 06:58 pm

Also the Detect Ed carbon shaft doesn't require the stiffeners due to the wider coil mount, simply re-uses the stock rubber bushes. To be honest the Nox coil ears are pretty thin, especially when compared to those on my Deus. I suspect mainly due to Minelab trying to keep the overall weight of the detector down (every little bit counts).


Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Equinox 600, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, XP MI-6, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

#10

clintonb
Member
Joined: 11 September 2020
Posts: 9
Member
08 October 2020 10:32 pm

Goldpick wrote:

Also the Detect Ed carbon shaft doesn't require the stiffeners due to the wider coil mount, simply re-uses the stock rubber bushes. To be honest the Nox coil ears are pretty thin, especially when compared to those on my Deus. I suspect mainly due to Minelab trying to keep the overall weight of the detector down (every little bit counts).

Yer thanks. I have been contemplating an up grade to the Detect Ed carbon shaft. Might wait and see how long I get out of the stock shaft first.


Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site

Top