⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work Dihusky. I can still see the quality work if I look closely with my 20X loupe. I hope you charged that job out on an hourly rate and not per carat. :)

Martyz said:
Nice work Dihusky. I can still see the quality work if I look closely with my 20X loupe. I hope you charged that job out on an hourly rate and not per carat. :)

Longest part was trying to analyse an original stone, get the size accurate and the angles. So damn small it was impossible to photograph in the detail needed to use the measuring systems on the computer, so winged it by dopping an original and comparing side by side through the 10X and the graticule. Cutting only took a couple of hours as it was so small, all done with 3000 then polish at 50k.

That must be why they get 14 year olds in Srilanka and India to tackle all the small stuff.
I know that various magnifying devices are becoming my way life but the little ones can still be pretty. :rainbow:
1599002455_16f3a836-8ad3-4eb8-8732-4d00b4ea3fe4.jpg

Well I have the before shot.

1603699777_dscf9021_2.jpg

This smokey quartz came out of the tumbler, there seems to be a nice clear section which is not easy to see in the photo.

Is there anyone who would be interested in checking it out and having a go at faceting if my expectations are correct.

More than happy to pay for the work.

Blocker said:
Well I have the before shot.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5263/1603699777_dscf9021_2.jpg

This smokey quartz came out of the tumbler, there seems to be a nice clear section which is not easy to see in the photo.

Is there anyone who would be interested in checking it out and having a go at faceting if my expectations are correct.

More than happy to pay for the work.

Nice one Blocker, Where did you score the Smokey ?

They facet up very well if you can find a clear zone, I expect it would also make a fine stone with a few micro bubbles. I have only cut the perfectly clear sections. My brother has cut a few larger stones with inclusions into kite shapes and wire wrapped them as pendants and they look very slick.

This one was from Oberon and is a suitable size for a ring as I chased out all the inclusions.
1603710045_c1763c1e-b5af-4c3c-816c-f2fe0ebf67d7.jpg

Try your local lapidary for someone to cut it near you, otherwise they may run classes and you can have a crack at transformIng it yourself. :gemstone:

Wally69 - If my memory serves me correct I think I got it at Tingha Sands quite some time ago. The local lapidary club has been closed since March and will not re-open until next year, all going well. I should have included a coin for size comparison. I love your work, you have to be happy and proud with those results.

Gilly47 said:

Must have been thinking about the jelly bean sapphire that didnt turn up in my buckets of wash from the Reward area. 8.(

Buy the way, that 12ct Hart stopper black spinel that popped out of the ground when you dropped in for a chat turns out to be a black sapphire with an exceptionally tiny ribbon of colour through one corner. Will need to do some homework and work out what to do with it now.

good on you, its addictive - hope you have an ethical facetor to cut your finds

Just tried to pull up the before shots, but the damn phone has just decided to delete all my photos :mad: ]:D Huawei :skull:

Now I've got that off my chest, these are the finished shots, Amethyst was the trial cut for the design before I cut the Sapphire pair.

1607323395_pear-test-cut.jpg

A veil running right through the centre, but the cut still worked. The final result...

1607323661_0.8ct_pair-sml.jpg

Matched pair of pears 4.35mm x 6.5mm, interesting that one was 0.1ct heavier at 0.85ct and the second 0.75ct, I'm wondering if the inclusions are tiny Haematite crystals as the stone reacted to a magnet?

1607324053_micro-crystals-sml.jpg

The one on the left was a 3.6ct rough and the design needs a false pavilion culet, I stuffed up on the dimension calculations, when I got to the crown there wasn't enough material for the original design so had to go for the step crown.

Nice work Dihusky.
Good to see your getting some time at the wheel... and finished just as the border opens and the Christmas rush begins. :Y:

Actually great doing some cutting from rough as opposed to strange jobs and gem repairs.

A couple of before and afters, Peach Morganite 9.8ct and in a bad way with a horrible chip in the side. Original was an un-symetrical native cut.

1607500501_before.jpg

1607500528_chip-side-small.jpg

16 hours later and a few hrs of lost sleep, 9.5ct finished

1607500601_after.jpg

1607500618_after-chip.jpg

The finished stone

1607501290_after-3.jpg

Then there was the sad and unloved little Tanzanite, 5ct to start with and lost around 0.5ct in the recut mainly due to the semi-oval native cut girdle

1607501354_before.jpg

1607501486_after.jpg

The final result can be satisfying they're a bloody pain to set up prior to cutting and measuring the original facet angles.

Wow that came up well. 0.3ct loss and it looked like it needed a major recut.
Another happy client.

Latest posts