GPZ7000 And Salt Lakes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justoverthehill

Wandering around looking at rocks
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just reading a story on the net about a guy and his missus detecting a salt lake in WA using a SDC and a 4500. They had quite good luck and I was wondering if anyone here has tried a GPZ7000 on or around our salt lakes? Do they handle the salt or is there way to much interference? I'm pretty sure the 4500 had a AI coil and the SDC was running a 14x9 Coiltek.

Unfortunately, as I understand it salt is a bit of an Archilles heel of the GPZ, however presumably Minelab are working on it for a future update/new model.

That is interesting! mbasko do you have a gpz7000? I have a family member that wants to hire one and use it out around near some creeks that wash into a salt lake but wasn't sure if he would be able to get close to it since he read somewhere that the gpz hated salty soil and was very noisy. That's really cool that they can update the software so the detector can become more stable over certain conditions and new features added to it!

I have previously owned a GPZ. I now use a GPX but would like to get a GPZ again one day, great machine IMO.
There's some experienced GPZ users on the forum so surprised nobody has commented as I would assume the Salty Soil Ground Smoothing option has been tried by someone in WA?
Actually I'd be surprised if someone hasn't tried it on some of the problematic conductive ground we get in eastern Australia after rain?
Hopefully someone with experience using Salty Soil can comment.

Hiring one & trying it out would be the most sensible option.

IMO, without having used the setting, I'd assume it would work well in conjunction with using moderate settings. A lot of people get frustrated by noise/instability over problematic ground due to a reluctance to lower some of their settings believing they'll lose too much depth to make it worthwhile.
While some depth loss is to be expected in harsh ground using more moderate settings can be the difference between being able to detect, with sanity, or not. If you can detect the ground & keep the detector reasonably smooth then IMO your still a chance of finding something. Too much noise makes it even more difficult & doesn't maintain good depth etc. anyway.
It's much the same as using a DD or AI coil (on a GPX). Some are reluctant to take their mono coils off for the same reason.

There are a few members on here who are well aware of the SDCs capability using the salt settings including over in WA especially on larger deep targets but may have agreed to Get Smart and entered the cone of silence ;)

I would be interested to know where you read that Justoverthehill as someone may have broken ranks.

For the record my deepest ever target was an old timers canvas tarp eyelet at an amazing 18 inches.

SDC + Coiltek 14 x 9 Gold Extreme on salt 3.

Used the Z on a Salt Lake in the Leonora/Laveraton Area not happy with the outcome, compared to years ago when I was in the same area with my 4500. However I did not spend a lot of time with different settings just expected a gold signal to be louder than the salt interference.

Bacchus said:
There are a few members on here who are well aware of the SDCs capability using the salt settings including over in WA especially on larger deep targets but may have agreed to Get Smart and entered the cone of silence ;)

I would be interested to know where you read that Justoverthehill as someone may have broken ranks.

For the record my deepest ever target was an old timers canvas tarp eyelet at an amazing 18 inches.

SDC + Coiltek 14 x 9 Gold Extreme on salt 3.

Can't see that myself.....I have an article coming out soon in GG&T where I put an SDC over a 5oz nugget....any target response is well and truly gone by 250mm. I understand it's an air test and was using the factory coil but it shows the point...SDC's aint designed for deep targets.

Agree the SDC is fairly limited for depth with MPF & the standard 8" coil but only 10" on a 5 ounce nugget?
Are you sure your SDC is working correctly? Seems very shallow even for the SDC.
Found smaller targets deeper than that with my SDC's but don't own one to test it now.
Anyone care to test it out?

Have dug some very deep holes in mullock only to get some scraps of tin. From memory I think there was about 6 bits of tin all up around the size of 20c/50c. 2 x pieces shown in the pic here: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=97131#p97131

A few examples of quoted deeper depths on smaller bits https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/4100-sdc-2300-limits/

mbasko said:
Agree the SDC is fairly limited for depth with MPF & the standard 8" coil but only 10" on a 5 ounce nugget?
Are you sure your SDC is working correctly? Seems very shallow even for the SDC.
Found smaller targets deeper than that with my SDC's but don't own one to test it now.

Have dug some very deep holes in mullock only to get some scraps of tin. From memory I think there was about 6 bits of tin all up around the size of 20c/50c. 2 x pieces shown in the pic here: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=97131#p97131

A few examples of quoted deeper depths on smaller bits https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/4100-sdc-2300-limits/

yep....detector works fine...similar result on multiple sdc's. In fact, most day's it's less than the 250mm I got on that particular day......also....I'm only using my 'eyeometer'...it's not meant to be a scientific study....it just shows a point. I have also done the same thing with 2 of the aftermarket coils and it's the same result.

Just want to make the point...as I have in the article....that I don't see it as a negative at all. It's no different to swinging a 4500/5000 and missing out on the tiny bits. It's all about different tools in the shed.

Soil types/mineral shielding will make a huge difference to depth as well....it always has. My guess is that it is a simple case of human error....and thats been going on for quite some time! You dig a hole...get excited...retrieve your target and two things have occurred....unless the target is still in situ, it means you have scratched it out and prob dug out another few inches of dirt with it....or people include the waste pile around the edge of the dighole.....9" suddenly becomes 18"..or a simple case of people talking crap!

All detectors have limitations...it's one of the main reasons there is so much gold left...again it's a positive....not a negative.

Firstly Goldtalk Leonora

I , unlike yourself have no vested interest in talking up or down any particular machine , coil or gold digging experience but if you are going to call a six year member of this forum a liar you best do some reasearch.
1601161715_33582b9a-4bfa-4720-be16-f4b71e0a77d7.jpg

I put it to you that these two blokes have far more credibility than you Goldtalk Leonora or myself for that matter when it comes to the ability of any gold detector.

I have spent the past two days ( even purchasing software ) to try and restore a deleted video form my phone of the dig described previously. It clearly showed me immersing the entire 14 inch coil with plenty to spare into the hole and producing a clear signal on the target , I was simply going to post the video with a :) allowing you to eat your sarcastically written words but with no success , but hey if its not written ( or in this case videod ) its not real , right ?

With hours spent on test beds and a year running the 14 x 9 I can assure you a flat copper / brass coin can indeed produce a stronger more recognisable target at depth In mineralised ground than a solid nugget especially in salt setting.

I must say that for someone who relies on the gold detecting business for income your ignorance on the ability of particular machines and coils surprises me and If I were a paying customer I would seek a better credentialed educator than Goldtalk Leonora.

Have a great day :)

Goldtalk Leonora said:
mbasko said:

yep....detector works fine...similar result on multiple sdc's. In fact, most day's it's less than the 250mm I got on that particular day......also....I'm only using my 'eyeometer'...it's not meant to be a scientific study....it just shows a point. I have also done the same thing with 2 of the aftermarket coils and it's the same result.

Just want to make the point...as I have in the article....that I don't see it as a negative at all. It's no different to swinging a 4500/5000 and missing out on the tiny bits. It's all about different tools in the shed.

Soil types/mineral shielding will make a huge difference to depth as well....it always has. My guess is that it is a simple case of human error....and thats been going on for quite some time! You dig a hole...get excited...retrieve your target and two things have occurred....unless the target is still in situ, it means you have scratched it out and prob dug out another few inches of dirt with it....or people include the waste pile around the edge of the dighole.....9" suddenly becomes 18"..or a simple case of people talking crap!

All detectors have limitations...it's one of the main reasons there is so much gold left...again it's a positive....not a negative.

Nice attempt at deflection !

Perhaps you can openly state on here that Phase Tech and Reno Chris are lying as their posts clearly are at odds with your assessment.

Keep digging : In more ways than one

Goldtalk did say that his 250mm number was from an air test. Which is nothing to do with actual 'depth' (ie. ground penetration), irrelevant to real-world PI detecting and not even worth mentioning, IMHO.

1601165430_air_test.jpg

Hi Bacchus
I can defiantly understand why some people would enter the cone of silence about detecting on salt lakes! hahaha hell I probably would as well if I was finding those amazing looking salt lake nuggets!
I found the article while I was trying to dig up information about the gpz and salt or salt lakes, I can try and find it so you guys can have a read if you would like. Also with that coil your running Bacchus do you recon it gives you a bigger advantage with depth over the standard or just more area covered?

Hi JOH

Was looking forward to the extra coverage from the 14 x 9 on a trip to the open spaces of Tibooburra before lockdown hit and my local area
here in SA is mostly overgrown where the 8 suits me better overall where the knuckle setup is great to push in and under bushes.
My deepest targets have been dug with the 14 x 9 but you do lose sensitivity especially on the porous, prickly type of gold compared to the standard coil.

Cheers and good luck

Goldtalk Leonora said:
mbasko said:

Yes right tool for the right job. Some tools like GPZ/GPX aptly cover a wide spectrum of jobs & with the right coil on, settings etc. you'll still get plenty of tiny bits even with 14" or 15" coils!
A good tradesman never blames his tools :lol:
Human error does happen but those tin fuggets were well entrenched in the clay at the bottom of the hole & took some getting out, definitely didn't slip down from the side. You can clearly see the top edge of the hole in relation to the pick handle so the spoil pile wasn't included in my assessment there. I originally posted that because I believed a relative sized piece of gold would be found at that depth in that ground with the SDC no worries. Still do!
I've also had to smash through quartz to retrieve deeper gold with the SDC so know that gold I got didn't fall down deeper either.
But I won't mention sizes/depth as I must be talking crap?
I think we've all been caught out digging a deep hole only to realise we dug past the target. I'm not green & realise that happens but I think I'm experienced enough to know when the target is in situ at the bottom of a hole or when I've had to get through hard layers to retrieve it.
I was an early adapter to the SDC & more than covered my first one with the mostly subgram gold finds as have mates of mine. Lots of digging & scraping but yes mostly shallow finds. The deeper ones are barely a break in threshold & nearly like turning an intuition into real signals.
Very aware of it's positives & negatives. :Y:

We're getting way off topic here - have you tried a GPZ in Salty Soil Ground Smoothing on WA salt lake/s? :)

Hi Bacchus...not calling anyone a lier mate....but I will call you a dickhead....no vested interest one way or another.....also....not my main form of a living....gold is...deflection???....not sure what your on about. Credibility?....dont care mate...you can take on board what I say....or not...up to you and no difference to me.....I'm only one bloke with an opinion...take it or leave it. You obviously have something personal against me....thats fine too. We will leave it at that hey.

As for 'air tests Grubstake"...yes they are very flawed...but they demonstrate a point..thats all. On our test bed here in the west, our smallest target is Half Oz (melted down lead in a blob) buried at 1ft....in quiet ground (granite) and SDC can't get it.

Hi Jaros....'but he started it!"...unless I read it all wrong...Bacchus was attacking me personally and my "credibility"... I reckon I have a right of reply?

My opinions are only/just that...opinions....I am ALWAYS happy to be wrong...when I am, I'm the first to admit it....but to attack me because of some issue he has with me???.....nup

hi GTL history shows that those with a guilty conscience usually react that way so i suspect that may be the reason you got the response you did after all you are entitled to you opinion......as long as it complies with everyone else is what society of today expects, i agree with you my experience out around red castle area the sdc is great for small shallow targets but if i am looking for something bigger and in open ground like is found around there i use my 7000.

as you mention different tools in the shed for different applications.

i also agree you were attacked first and it would appear for no other reason that your opinion is different, i didnt see anywhere that you were calling anyone a liar but maybe my eyesight is failing and this can be pointed out as i clearly missed it.

does the truth get distorted some times.....well like fisherman the fish gets bigger with every time the story is told so perhaps maybe the hole gets deeper also.

anyway good luck out there in gods gold country and keep digging. cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts