Books to keep an eye out for.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
Had a look thru the Holtermann Museum out at Gulgong over the weekend Jemba.
Well worth a look thru if you're out this way. Love the old pics :Y:

Hopefully next time I'm up there it's open, was closed last time I was allowed to cross the border.

Excellent post Jemba :Y:

mbasko said:
Had a look thru the Holtermann Museum out at Gulgong over the weekend Jemba.
Well worth a look thru if you're out this way. Love the old pics :Y:

Thanks for the feed back, I sure would love to check the museum out one day. :Y:

Teemore said:
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.
River looks a little sad in that 3rd photo ( ?? river at Home Rule).
Cheers T.

Yes indeed the old boy's sure did some work. :Y:

Gold miners and a mine head, Gulgong area or Hill End

1600247608_gold_miners_and_a_mine_head_gulgong_area_or_hill_end__.jpg

Gold miner and his hut next to his mine, Hill End

1600247637_gold_miner_and_his_hut_next_to_his_mine_hill_end.jpg

Race and sluicing equipment at Boonoo Boonoo Gold Mine - Tenterfield, NSW

1600247670_race_and_sluicing_equipment_at_boonoo_boonoo_gold_mine_-_tenterfield_nsw.jpg

Group of gold mines on Central Hawkins Hill, looking south, Hill End

1600247706_group_of_gold_mines_on_central_hawkins_hill_looking_south_hill_end.jpg

Peter McLeod's Union Hotel (immediately in front of a gold mine), Home Rule

1600247758_peter_mcleod_s_union_hotel_immediately_in_front_of_a_gold_mine_home_rule.jpg

Taken From The State Library of NSW

https://collection.sl.nsw.gov.au/

Miner using a spring dolly, Copperfield River, Oaks Goldfield

1600295507_1.jpg

Miner using a combination cradle and sluice, Oaks Goldfield, Queensland

1600295539_hall_n11.jpg

Miner with equipment for alluvial gold mining, Copperfield River, Oaks Goldfield

1600295562_3.jpg

Mr. Johnson using a combination sluice and cradle, Copperfield River, Oaks Goldfield

1600295597_4.jpg

Mr. Winkleman, Mr. Coleman and three other miners using sluice-boxes and a cradle, Charley's Creek, Oaks Goldfield, Queensland

1600295636_5.jpg

Three miners demonstrate an unusual puddling machine, Charley's Creek

1600295676_6.jpg

Two miners sluicing for gold

1600295704_7.jpg

A miner poses for a photograph in front of a North Queensland timber and bark hut

1600295732_8.jpg

The Oaks Goldfield was completely surrounded by the Etheridge Goldfield and was only designated as a separate goldfield for administrative purposes. The Etheridge Shire was over 38,000 km2 and included the townships and goldfields of Cumberland, Georgetown, Charleston and Einasleigh. Due to the sporadic nature of the ore and the difficulties in mining it efficiently, goldfields in the Etheridge Shire were often designated "poor man's fields," even though well over 500,000 oz. of gold was reportedly mined there by the start of the First World War. James Cook University gratefully acknowledges Kenwyn Arthur Hall (grandson of the photographer) for his support of the NQHeritage Pilot Project.

Taken from the James Cook University

https://nqheritage.jcu.edu.au/

Thanks Jemba, if I wasn't so lazy I'd just go to the website but enjoy what you're posting.

Shows 2 things I suppose (apart from the harshness the old timers endured) .
Gold is stupid, how primitive is that equipment, how easy to catch the heavy stuff.
The primitive equipment is probably why we're now finding their leftovers.

Thanks, Tom.

Yep I was thinking the same in regards to their equipment. I also was thinking by posting such photos with the links, this gives members who so wish a short cut to the sites that have first class photos.
Jemba
:Y:

hi all
Excellent information here...By any chance would anyone know where i could lay my hands on a copy of Bungonia to Braidwood by Barry Mcgowan...cant find one anywhere
All the best
Rob

BUNGONIA TO BRAIDWOOD by Barry McGowan Historical & Archaeological account of the Shoalhaven & Mongarlowe Goldfields. 293 pages incl. maps & photographs. Pub. 1996 $38.50 plus p&h $7.00

Braidwood & district Historical Society Inc

Address: 186 Wallace Street,
PO Box 145, NSW 2622
Telephone: 02 48422310
Email [email protected]

MONGARLOWE & THE LITTLE RIVER GOLDFIELDS by Bruce Russell 86 pages with photographs. Published 1989 $8.80 plus p&h $4.00

THE BRAIDWOOD/ARALUEN GOLDFIELDS 3 pages. A concise history of the goldfields. $2.00 plus p&h $1.00

BRAIDWOOD GOLD FIELDS 1850-1860s Roslyn Maddrell. Published 1978, reprinted 1999. $16.50 + p & h $5.00

LOST MINES - REVISITED by Barry McGowan. Historic Mining of the Monaro, Southern Tablelands & South Western Slopes. 235 pages incl. maps & photographs
Reprint 1996 $33.00 plus p&h $7.00

THE GOLDEN SOUTH by Barry McGowan. A history of the Araluen, Bells Creek, Majors Creek and Jembaicumbene Goldfields. 176 pages including photographs, maps and drawings. Published 2000. $32.50 + p & h $7.00

HISTORIC PUBS OF SOUTH EAST NEW SOUTH WALES written and illustrated by Garry Bell. $25.00 plus p & h $6.50.

THE GOLD PAN by Paul Buckley $12.00 plus p & h $5.00.

Braidwood & district Historical Society Inc
Address: 186 Wallace Street,
PO Box 145, NSW 2622
Telephone: 02 48422310
Email [email protected]

:Y:

BOOK
Gold fossicking in Australia / compiled by Harvey Neese ; adapted by Ivan A. Mumme.
I. A Mumme (Ivan A.)
Sydney : Angus & Robertson 1984

BOOK
Where to find Australian minerals / [by] Douglas M. Stone [and] Robert Butt.
Douglas M Stone
Dee Why West, N.S.W. : Periwinkle Books 1977

BOOK
A fossiker's guide to gemstones in Australia / Nance & Ross Perry.
Nance Perry
Kew, Vic. : Reed Books 1997

BOOK
Fool's gold : myths and legends of gold seeking in Australia / Barry McGowan.
Barry McGowan
Sydney : Lothian Books 2006

BOOK
The Bright district nugget book : including up-to-date list of locally found gold nuggets, prospective areas for gold in quartz specimens, prospecting hints, detailed goldfield maps / by R.J. Kaufman.
R. J Kaufman (Robert J.), 1953-.
Wandiligong, Vic. : LRGM 1992

BOOK
Gold fossicking in Australia / compiled by Harvey Neese adapted by Ivan A. Mumme and Belinda Henwood.
I. A Mumme (Ivan A.)
North Ryde, N.S.W. : Angus & Robertson 1988

1600992513_e1d189e58f0565ef9cf818dfe9f0cbe1.jpg

https://calisphere.org/exhibitions/10/items/ark:/13030/kt8d5nc6w1/

phantomnosepicker said:
just an update....bungonia to braidwood cant be had for love n money..open to offers...bugger you barry :cool: :cool:

Hi you could always check with your local library, worth a try. cheers Jemba

Linton: A Photographic History

by Jill Wheeler and Del Atkinson

1601931134_book-linton-a-photographic-history.jpg

Published in December 2017, this is a history of the small gold rush town of Linton as told through selected photographs from the collection of the Linton and District Historical Society, many never before published.

Chapters include: Beginnings, Gold, The Early Town, The Later Town, Agriculture and Industry, Education, Religion, Sports, Clubs & Societies, Linton People, Celebrations and Commemorations. With over 100 pages of historic black and white photographs, many never published before, you wont want to miss out on your copy of this piece of Lintons history.

The book is available for purchase at $30 from the Historical Society. Mail Order is $30 plus postage and handling of $12 per book. To order, email us at [email protected]

It is also available from Wares, Plants n Things, The Known World Bookshop or the Shire Offices, all in Sussex St, or in Ballarat at Collins in the Bridge Mall, or Ballarat Books.