Diamond Creek area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It not in the exempt list but most surrounding land is managed by parks victoria and a no go for prospecting.
You might be lucky to find a small stretch that isn't off limits though

I have stopped wasting my time looking for areas in Melbourne and now look further afield

Yarra River and tributaries above its junction with the Plenty River.

Copied text from list, clearly states tributaries, above ( meaning upstream ) of Yarra & Plenty River are exempt.

So other than the Parks Victoria approved limited panning area of Andersons Creek, Diamond Creek is exempt.

Thanks - its become extremely difficult shifting the onus onto us in being legal - and not black & white.
Making us knock on property owners doors and negotiating a split - anyone done this successfully?

I used to pan it when still farmland, but even then railway construction next to it had dumped so much waste rock in it that it was difficult. Even then I preferred St Andrews and Warrandyte (1964)

Any river or creek that runs into the Yarra River above the Plenty River junction, is banned to prospecting (except specific area of Andersons Creek in Warrandyte). This also includes if the rivers and creeks are running through private property.

1559833507_diamond_creek.jpg

Cheers,
Megsy

Digga said:
Keep an eye out for tigers

Good advice Digga. I came close to being bitten by Tiger snakes twice over the years while fishing in Westerfolds Park, shown right in the middle of Megsy's map above. Once, when I was a young bloke a Tiger was even reared up and ready to strike as I walked from the car park down to the river.

The birds were going crazy in the trees (a good sign there is a predator nearby), and like a schmuck instead of stopping and heeding the warning signs I took my eyes off of the track and kept walking as I looked up in the trees to see what was going on. When I looked back down there I was less than a Metre and a half or so from the big bugger, with just my fishing rod sticking out in front in my hand beside me, seeming to confuse it a little as it waved around right in front of its face.

I stood still and froze while it lay down again and slithered off. Just 50 metres or so further on I came across a couple of families in a clearing playing and kicking a ball. I walked over to one of the parents and said "Just keep an eye out mate and watch the kids, there's a bloody big Tiger snake just over there that slithered off towards this way". His answer? - "Bullshit!" :awful:

Yep not a fan of them Slippery buggers I got bit on the hand about 4 years ago in Esperance by a dugite ,
Almost rolled me,

Latest posts