Moneybox's videos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shep said:
Was the A frame welded on the top of the RHS?

Youre going to mention Stress Node ?

Transverse welds are never done on truck chassis especially across a flange , longitudinal welds on the web are favoured assuming its not a high tensile chassis , if high tensile then usually brackets are bolted / rivetted / huck bolted to the chassis and the bracket is welded on to the attached body work.

I do sometimes weld where you mentioned but i eliminate the top stress node by putting a tapered doubler plate on the sides of that joint area that extend at least 3 x RHS height each side of that zone.

:)

Those lucky *** in the west might get the best gold 8.( but they have to put up with the worst roads in the country :p

I like the 50mm ball, as if my van ever needs to be towed by another vehicle, it is the most available.
I have however substituted the original hitch with a fully articulated one to handle the roughest terrain.
With a reversing camera on my Jeep, I can hitch it easily first time.

BigWave said:
I like the 50mm ball, as if my van ever needs to be towed by another vehicle, it is the most available.
I have however substituted the original hitch with a fully articulated one to handle the roughest terrain.

you have something like these ?

i never used one but there are so many products coming on the market now we have a luxury of choice.

1600764721_flex_ball_type.jpg

CreviceSucker said:
Shep said:
Was the A frame welded on the top of the RHS?

Youre going to mention Stress Node ?

Transverse welds are never done on truck chassis especially across a flange , longitudinal welds on the web are favoured assuming its not a high tensile chassis , if high tensile then usually brackets are bolted / rivetted / huck bolted to the chassis and the bracket is welded on to the attached body work.

I do sometimes weld where you mentioned but i eliminate the top stress node by putting a tapered doubler plate on the sides of that joint area that extend at least 3 x RHS height each side of that zone.

:)

Those lucky *** in the west might get the best gold 8.( but they have to put up with the worst roads in the country :p

If its welded across the top then the trailer is unroadworthy in the NT and every A
frame failure I have seen like the one pictured was welded across the top.

I know enough about where and how to weld. I even knew I was doing the wrong thing at the time but sometimes you just need the "quick & easy" and this time I got caught out. I'd never have done that sort of thing for somebody else :)

The hitch will remain a standard 50mm ball. I have too many vehicles and trailers to stuff it all up with a variety of couplings.

We're heading down to Perth this weekend (on our way to Kalgoorlie) to extract our Isuzu NPS300 4WD truck from the police impound yard. I've been looking for this truck for three years and eventually the driver got nabbed driving without a license and the truck was impounded. It's funny how things work out, we have action going through the court to retrieve the truck and that all comes to fruit on Tuesday but the impounded vehicle is available on Thursday. However without the court action the police would have never picked up on the illegal use of the vehicle.

I originally leant the vehicle to this guy (my tenant) after he was released from Bunbury prison, the offence, driving without a license...... I wonder where he's going to now :)

CreviceSucker said:
BigWave said:

i never used one but there are so many products coming on the market now we have a luxury of choice.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1804/1600764721_flex_ball_type.jpg

I like the look of these couplings.

Phil & Sandra
Another awesome adventure ........ not the sort of adventure you want, but you both continue to amaze me with how cool you are in a time of difficulty. Phil, you sure are mister fix it. Sandra, youre always happy with a lovely laugh, no matter the situation. Great to see. Good on you both.
Cheers Andy

Moneybox said:
CreviceSucker said:
BigWave said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1804/1600764721_flex_ball_type.jpg

I like the look of these couplings.

There might be 5 or more options these days of hitches with a high rotation / low friction design but i couldnt buy one sight unseen.

I would have to go into a shop and sight each one , pick it up and try to pick design faults then evaluate which is the best one.

I am even reluctant to trust "reviews" by 4WD magazines these days after being let down by the newest / best thing that turned out to be crepe.

did any of you lot find comparisons for all these hitches ?

That’s disappointing Phil. The 6 can be a “naughty child” and lead to wells being dug from time to time. Your clip is a good example of why Minelab needed to include a DD coil as part of the package for this detector. i hope that your next deep signal uncovers an endless gold reef.

cheers

Les