Advice on GPS units

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a GPS12 for many years....great little unit, but a bit behind the times these days. Rattled around in the tinny helping me find my crab-traps up in NQ.

Currently use an eTrex 10 for just general point-fixing....and an Oregon 600 (now the 700) for venturing into new country or more remote trout streams.

Very happy with the 600.....good battery life....don't buy the Garmin rechargeable pack, just chuck in a couple of Eneloops....works fine.

Good daylight screen vis....only mild criticism is that some of the capabilities and options aren't what I'd call dead-set intuitive.

Recommend the Australian Topo Maps, which can be bought cheap on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Garmin-...2da3e|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524&frcectupt=true

I see that compatibility on this listing only goes as far as Oregon 650, so I'd be checking about compatibility for the 700 first.

Think I bought my map card from this same bloke a couple of years back.......price was about the same, and it works fine.

Had Garmin for many years now and can't fault them.

Choice of a GPS is very dependent on what you want to do with it. i.e.

If you are out by yourself, incorporating a UHF might be an expense too far away. If you are in a group of 2 or more then the Rino will do both. If you want maps and use it for planning then a bigger unit might be the way to go and again you'll pay for it.

If all you want to do is put in a waypoint at your car, switch it off and go bush to detect, then if you lose your bearing back to the car, turn it on and let it guide you back, then a small unit like the Garmin E20 is all you need. I also, might mark a waypoint (WP), of an area I want to go back to another day while out there. I use the E20, it has 2 renamed waypoints - CAMP & CAR which I leave in it permanently. When I set camp I reposition that waypoint to it(easy to do). Every time I drive to a detecting point, I reposition the CAR WP to where it's parked before heading out. Then turn it off as I don't use it when detecting. Only gets turned on if I get "misplaced" (never get lost or I wouldn't be here to write this, lol) Takes a couple of AA Alkaline and I get over a year out of a set of batteries by the way I use it. If the worst happens and they find my bleached bones, at least they'll know where my car and camp are. :skull: (Should note, I carry a KTI PLB for emergencies)

If you want something to navigate whilst driving, the Hema Navigator with appropriate mapping is also good. I think there's another brand called Zanec that is similar, but can't say anything re that one.

So first advice, work out what you want to do, then look at what is available to do that. Then look at cost and the best deal. I've only ever used Garmin hand held and in car until I got the HN7 Hema, so can't speak for other brands.

Morning Condor, Agree with all of your #6 post except last paragraph.
I would never cut costs when it comes to selecting life saving equipment, will spray the moths flying out of my wallet when handing over $$'s if need be.
Have a GME MT600G EPIRB + Barrett UHF radio (This is a beauty, have talked to operators as far away as Tasmania and several aircraft.) mounted in the ute and we both carry Rinos and as you mentioned mark caravan and ute positions before walking away.
** Re: UHF, one day, by pure chance while searching, tuned in to a drama unfolding. A geo had been bitten by a snake and preparations being made for his rescue. The Geo's mate was driving and heading towards an inland pastoral homestead. The pastoralist was positioning all the vehicles he had beside the airstrip (to use headlights, all his flares had been used recently on another mission)) to guide the Royal Flying Doctor if darkness fell before arrival. This drama went on into the night and it was morning before it was announced the Geo was safe and well and recovering in Royal Perth Hospital.**

Thanks for your posts folks, keep them coming please.

I mentioned the technology is continually changing which would leave my old and trusty Garmin GPS12 for dead, but still doing what it was designed for - marking trails and ability to go back to waypoints like vehicle and camp etc. I was gobsmacked to read about InReach technology on the Garmin website and that it is now being incorporated in some of their handheld GPS units, like their GPSMAP66i. The ability to be able to communicate via the sat phone network on the handheld GPS wherever you are is stunning and a major step forward in safety / recovery. Is there anyone out there using this?

Thanks, Ron

NJ, my point in my last was; that the last thing to consider is cost. What you want/need and being fit for purpose are the first considerations in just about every thing we choose to buy. :)

Ron, Ive got a 66i in the post and a handheld UHF (5 watt oricom unit) that I take with me. The 66i has basically the same Garmin software as most of their non-touchscreen, color models - that is, a major step up from your unit, with the ability to add custom maps, electronic compass (you dont have to move to determine your orientation), altimeter, bariometer, and high precision gps antenna. It also comes with topo maps of Australia and NZ I believe.

I have an iPhone that intermittently struggles with gps (despite being the latest and greatest) - I dont trust it. Also, it is pretty fragile compared to these Garmin units.

The only potential downside to the 66i is that it uses a non-removable lithium ion battery. So you cannot carry a spare with you. However, it charges via usb so if you already carry a backup usb power bank you are all set. The USB port is in a really stupid location though so you cant really toss it in your pocket and charge at the same time, unless you buy a right angle usb cable, which I probably will do.

Once I Ive had some time in the field with it and exported some of my mapping data from QGIS onto it Ill report back.

My PLB1 was getting to end of battery life ( theoretical life anyway - I have an old 121.5 GME that sits at home in a metal box but still passes the builtin battery test every year for 19 years and counting - I am waiting to see when it dies as an experiment) so I got an InReach Mini and all I can say is that it does exactly as it says - allows you to SMS & Email people when out of mobile range as it uses the Iridium satellites.

I have had it 6m but only activated my account for 2m as I mostly play around home but I did use it for a solo trip in remote CW QLD for a couple of weeks. If you preconfig the SMS/email then you can send them at no extra cost so I sent Back at camp for night/ Moving to next spot/ Arrived next spot messages (each automatically with GPS location) back home each day.

Doing a message from scratch on the unit is like using a 1990s pre touch screen mobile but it can be linked to your phone to make that bit easier. One of the key reasons I got it is that if I get the car stuck or breakdown then I want a recovery vehicle not a chopper and dont want to tie up E services for my problem. Wife can call RACQ/ local tow guys to come n get me.

Real plus is that in a true emergency you are in constant message contact with global emergency centre so you know who is coming and when & can articulate your needs/location precisely.

Only 3 negatives for me were 1) GPS lock took a minute minimum - sometimes 5min 2) "compass" isnt a fluxgate but just GPS position delta so relies on GPS movement. No good if standing still or walking in a small circle :) 3) having to pay $25/m on top of $530 pp. Have a good read of the online manual to see what you are getting .

Regarding mapping etc lowcost/free isnt always worse than $$ - I use a Samsung Galaxy tablet with Orux Maps ( free) and download all the QTopo geopdf topographic maps 1:100k with 1:25k Topo & PhotoTopo Maps for my prospecting locations ( Qtopo maps also is free). Orux Maps & QTopos duplicated on phone which I use for primary nav in the bush but it is much nicer viewing the maps on tablet 10"" screen back at camp. I think some other states also have free Topographic maps available & they may well be better resolution than from a GPS supplier.

BrokeInBendigo said:
Ron, Ive got a 66i in the post and a handheld UHF (5 watt oricom unit) that I take with me. The 66i has basically the same Garmin software as most of their non-touchscreen, color models - that is, a major step up from your unit, with the ability to add custom maps, electronic compass (you dont have to move to determine your orientation), altimeter, bariometer, and high precision gps antenna. It also comes with topo maps of Australia and NZ I believe.

I have an iPhone that intermittently struggles with gps (despite being the latest and greatest) - I dont trust it. Also, it is pretty fragile compared to these Garmin units.

The only potential downside to the 66i is that it uses a non-removable lithium ion battery. So you cannot carry a spare with you. However, it charges via usb so if you already carry a backup usb power bank you are all set. The USB port is in a really stupid location though so you cant really toss it in your pocket and charge at the same time, unless you buy a right angle usb cable, which I probably will do.

Once I Ive had some time in the field with it and exported some of my mapping data from QGIS onto it Ill report back.

I have the gps12 cx ,which is the updated version of the gps12 with a coloured screen. It does all that your unit does and has the option of adding a more powerful remote antenna if you need to buy one. Great little unit. I have had mine since 1999. The electronic compass is very accurate ,too. Man overboard function is the first thing i press when leaving camp. Garmin is a good brand. I would be interested to hear how your 66I goes, BrokeinBendigo. Reckon it will be a ripper.

Seeking advice on which GPS to get.

To help finding spots to get to. To record locality of any finds. To avoid getting lost & getting back to vehicle.

Best Buy?

This is one case where paying for a brand name could save your life So, spend that bit extra and get a product with a Warranty/Guarantee can help you if you get into trouble. :Y:

Can't go wrong with Garmin. I've had a couple of handheld units and always carry spare batteries or a power bank for the ones with inbuilt batteries.

I'm actually hunting down the simple pocket/watch back tracker.
Finding it hard actually!
Simple led type compass, that points you to a couple of saved weigh points.
Camp, and vehicle etc.
1600m with arrow pointing to vehicle etc.
Easy to use.
Wish detecting outlets like miners den stocked them.
A minimum "must have" !