Advice on GPS units

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Stru,

Can you tell me if you've had any issues with your Oregon 600 such as freezing/malfunctioning, slow to lock on to satellites etc ? as many have reported these kind of problems from reviews that i have read, i'd like to get the 600 but am leaning towards the GPSMAP64s after reading many reviews..

unindexed said:
nowdays GPS are in every mobile phone - you're from 2005?:D

He was just making sure his escape plan was ship shape and hassle free of phone calls, not everyone wants a phone unless your post 05? :D

Problem with using mobile phones in the field for GPS duties is how quick they chew through power, especially when compared to a dedicated handheld unit running off a couple AA batteries. Mobiles are also not the most robust things to throw about, don't think I like the thought of another busted and expensive Samsung Galaxy screen if dropped in the field. Dedicated handheld units are built to cope with some pretty heavy abuse including full waterproofing.

Another problem is heat My mobile automatically stops charging when the temps get too high which can be a real pain, even when mounted near the windscreen in an air-conditioned car it has refused to charge due to heat off the windscreen. No such problems regarding heat with a handheld or dash mounted GPS.

You will also find that a handheld GPS with a dedicated antenna will perform better than a mobile for satellite acquisition and with less dropouts, especially where there isn't a clear view of the sky/horizon or in forested areas.

my thoughts exactly Goldpick. mobile phones have limitations, & the functionality on a lot of apps is limited too. I don't use a sedan to cart hay around, even if it looks flasher & goes faster.
The right tool for job at hand means a better outcome for longer :perfect:
and, its worth noting that in most remote areas phone signal is very limited or non existent, so as a phone its useless .... leave it in the car where it wont get broken!

Volcanic said:
Hey Stru,

Can you tell me if you've had any issues with your Oregon 600 such as freezing/malfunctioning, slow to lock on to satellites etc ? as many have reported these kind of problems from reviews that i have read, i'd like to get the 600 but am leaning towards the GPSMAP64s after reading many reviews..

Volcanic, I have a Garmin GPSMAP64S & love it. rock solid. powered with Panasonic Eneloop Pro high power NiMH batteries (because I haven't needed to upgrade them to lithium)

When I am out I loose phone reception and phone gps, plus I get a lot of interference with my phone so I have it either off or in airplane mode
I find a real gps gives far better location and never let me down

And the gps is far more robust and two aa batteries as spare dont take up much room

Cheers hh

sample photograph :cool:

1547760217_dsc00262.jpg

the Garmin GPSMAP64 series also have a Glonass Receiver (Russian GPS system, orbits more N-S over the poles) which helps in WA at least where not as many regualar GPS satellites are accessible. Both receivers work simultaneously in parallel.
Theres around 6 GPS a lot of the time & i think 12 at best accessible from southern WA. It takes a good receiver to get the best out of this limit. Ive compared my phone to my Hema HN7, & the phone accuracy is noticeably less at 10-20m (somedays out past 30m), The HN7 at about 5-10m, & I reckon the Garmin gets down to less than 5m.
I have now bought a GPS/Glonass receiver to plug into my laptop.

Skip said:
New garmin map 66st. Google overlays. Best I've seen

Since at least the Garmin 62 this has been doable but Garmin locked up the Firmware to prevent it being that user friendly unless using the paid Birdseye subscription. And even then the image resolution was apparently not that great.
The Garmin 62 could display the high res images but the screen resolution is the let down.

Interestingly, some consider "these maps (the Google overlays) are absolutely useless in real life". Each to their own I guess. I think you can get far more detail in the landscape from a hi res image and topo than just a topo map alone.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26353

The 66 doesn't require a subscription to bird's eye. It has a sharper screen than the older models (by far) also improved visibility in direct sunlight.

As good as these devices are, one should always carry a paper map as a back up.

I still use a paper toppo and hi res image for cross check.

Going back back to a hand held GPS is like going back to black and white Television..a mobile phone with Hima maps is a no brainer..

Going back back to a hand held GPS is like going back to black and white Television..a mobile phone with Hima maps is a no brainer..

1547858998_img_2344.jpg

Thuraya XT Lite paid about $700 12 mths ago $15 / mth + calls, SMS, with Optus. can suspend it at a anytime or restart with a phone call. can set waypoints. and it works anywhere in aus. We go bush a lot where mobiles don't work and got us out of trouble last year when we had injector problems in a remote location
PS ; No plan works for us

Hi Folks, I have done a search of the forum on hand held GPS units as I am thinking about upgrading my Garmin unit. As the technology is continually improving, I would be interested in hearing what you find best in the way of hand held GPS units. Particularly interested in units that have mapping capability. Reliability and functionality are critical. Thanks

Latest posts