Myrtleford, Bright area information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gappa44 said:
dirtyharry said:
Hi Gappa
I have a shack at Mt Beauty & chase gold all through the Bright area on a regular basis

Firstly all the major rivers & creeks are all on the banned list
However the locals dont seem to mind as i often see people panning & sluicing in Morses Creek right in Bright
When confronting them about the possibility of a fine, they claim the local rangers couldnt care less as long as it is only panning & sluicing
I personally wouldnt risk it

I have done the Eldorado thing & though i got lots of gold it is fine with heaps of black sand. I like chunky gold

My next adventure will be over to Stanley & some of the small creeks in that area

The Red Robin mine is now closed for the lack of a permit to continue

There is gold all through the area but make sure you do research. Google is your friend

Regards

Dirty Harry

if you have a shack in mt beauty then surely you know the town of dederang ! its my hometown !!!

and the bright ranger is a top bloke wouldnt fine you unless you were really doing a big no no like dredging or something i know him personally drank many of stubbies with him :D
let me know if you would like to meet up oneday!! i and buy a sdc2300 in a few weeks so if your chasing chunky gold i mite be able to help with the sdc2300 !

I see this is an old thread but Mt Beauty is my old hometown grew up there, moved to Queensland in 1978 then moved back in 2000 to care for my mum and now in Sydney.
Wed know a lot of the same people in the district.
I used to ferret and shoot around Dederang and played against them in footy and went to the Dederang races

Lots of maps and reports on the area (eg GSV Bulletin on the Bright goldfield, stuff on the dredge in the 1950s Mining and Geological Journal), and a history book with a discussion of every hard rock mine in the case of Harrietville, can't remember title except Harrietville was on it. Mate worked a mine at Wandiligong in the 80s, someone was working one at Harrietville still 5 years ago.

Done a bit of digging up around Myrtleford and bright done really well going back tomorrow ill post some pictures (and the tourists wash straight through the sluice got some coins sunnies the odd bikini and a few swarewords but hey it all counts) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heading up that way sat and sunday so if anyone wants some new spots to dig for the yellow stuff,Gunnar start at Morse's Creek bright sat (River sluice,highbanker and some spoil heaps from old workings)and go from there i know its short notice

Latest posts