Exempt rivers and creeks Victoria - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One creek i am trying to identify , i saw the name on a map once but there are many in the state with the same name and this one doesn`t appear on the list of creeks for that area. But it is hard to trace where it came from due to where it is in the forest and i can`t seem to attach it to any other river system . Still working on it.

The river of G O L D . :goldpan: :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :goldnugget:

1592642233_8a3a9ca3-be89-46b0-8b30-46911279fb0b.jpeg

1592642233_44aa4b3d-e2b3-45f8-87cc-894eb21f7122.jpg

Found today, out for a couple hours

Goldenred33 said:
Thats very nice gold looks like u could use a detector with big bits like that

I really want to look into getting a detector, but have no clue where to start. I just followed the bedrock down to the bottom on an outside bend believe it or not and found some good size gold with the pan

I appreciate that this thread is getting a bit long in the tooth......but it's still an interesting and very relevant topic.

Whilst doing a bit of research I came across some interesting information on the DELWP website......

propertyandlandtitles*vic*gov*au/surveying/advice-and-guidelines-for-surveyors/ambulatory-boundaries........change the "*" accordingly..

The two papers worth a read are:

The Doctrine of Accretion (PDF, 598.7 KB)

and, particularly,

River Boundary Determination (PDF, 2.9 MB)

The second paper is described thus:

Rivers and their impact on cadastral boundaries in Victoria
These Surveyor-General Practice guidelines take the form of case studies that demonstrate the impact of moving rivers on cadastral boundaries.

The guidelines emphasise the significance and importance of the:

1881 Order In Council, by which land along 280 rivers was permanently reserved
1905 Water Act, which clarified the term 'bed and banks'
1850 Separation Act, which dealt with the Murray River as the state boundary.

The role of the Surveyor-General as an arbitrator, providing authoritative determination of boundaries is discussed and the role of the licensed surveyor as a planner and land manager.

Possibly some interesting curfew reading :)

Weekend prospector show on 7mate just aired latest episode panning and sniping in the Yarra river ( listed on exempt river document ) well and truly upstream from plenty river junction.
Myself and others have emailed vic gov departments asking clarification re legality.
Lets hope production company tests in court. :perfect:

What a knob thing to do . if your looking for high fives your in the wrong place . Do you have any proof of your allegations.Get your facts strait . Its TV

Blockie235 said:
Weekend prospector show on 7mate just aired latest episode panning and sniping in the Yarra river ( listed on exempt river document ) well and truly upstream from plenty river junction.
Myself and others have emailed vic gov departments asking clarification re legality.
Lets hope production company tests in court. :perfect:

Assuming that the location is as you maintain, the reaction of the Department(s) will be interesting.

Please keep us informed of any response.

I have to agree. It is wayy the wrong thing he did. I wouldn't give a damn aboit someone popping down the yarra to have a sneaky covert pan, while doing their best not to draw attention. Nobody will get caught out and it will not inpact on our prospecting hobby.
But by flaunting it on commercial tv.. sorry but thats cooked. Now, even if by some chance he has legal right to pan where he did, the fact is, he is suggesting to everyone in tv land that its cool great and ok to pan the yarra.. now i would guess a lot of people watching arent going to look up on the internet all the requirements and legalities of prospecting.. they just will get their frypan out after watching the show and head straight to the yarra. That would greatly increase the chances of a greenie seeing this and claimong this is standard prospecting practise leading to lobbying to limit prospecting further.
Not really something i agree with him promoting. I hope he will address this in an episode in the very near future, as he is misleading a lot of people with this at the least.

Reply received today
Please see attached links to exempt rivers & creeks list was all I got in reply. Will be interesting to see if any of the plethora of tourist who frequent this area and may decide to pan for gold after watching this show get fined or not.

Blockie235 said:
Reply received today
Please see attached links to exempt rivers & creeks list was all I got in reply. Will be interesting to see if any of the plethora of tourist who frequent this area and may decide to pan for gold after watching this show get fined or not.

Your taxes at work :)

Hi guys and gals

Atm is trying to get my head around what a exempt river is and NOT. I know anything list on the no go list is NO GO. Now if a river changes name for example we will use the exempt river "Stringer's Creek Tributary of Thompson River" That starts as Stringer's Creek then changes to Stringer's Creek east branch and Stringer's Creek west branch now from my understand they would be also NO GO due to been part of tributary of stringer's would I be right in this statement?? Now if a different creek runs into stringer's let use little joe creek that basically in main town of Walhalla that flows into stringers creek how is that creek treated ??? A no go or a go creek??

Just trying to get my head around how feed creeks are treated... As I seen a number of posts re cooper creek been able to be panned but under the exempt list the way I am reading it would be a no go creek due to it falling under "Thomson River Tributary of La Trobe River" as it feeds straight into the Thomson river unless I am missing something in the way I am reading this exempt list thing and understanding of the Tributary parts on that list

You might find the answer that you're looking for in this thread:

List of exempted rivers and streams

Latest posts