You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

condor22
14 September 2020 06:17 pm

I added a USB port and CIG socket, to give me 4 x USB, 1 x dedicated CIG socket and from the 2 pin (32 V GPO) power point can plug in other items.

Those other items include a 150 W inverter, from which I can run an ultrasonic cleaner, and or charge my electric toothbrush. An adapter lead to plug in a triple cig socket block.

Most are to consider charging detector equipment or run my laptop.

GPX battery, Laptop power, 18650 Li-oN charger, SDC C cell battery charger, Uniden handheld UHF all need CIG sockets for charging.
Wireless headphones, wireless transmitter, mobile phones, power bank, Steelphase etc all need 5 VDC USB.
I can also charge my digital camera and movie camera from the inverter.

So instead of putting all this gear into a queue, it can all be on charge at the same time. I've found that doing this during daylight hours to be better, as the solar handles it all at no cost to battery capacity. The total load not including inverter is < 5 amps.

1 user likes this post: robmoto

condor22
16 September 2020 01:06 am

I run my Dometic D2 diesel heater about once a month when the van isn't used. Tonight I decided to do this with 240 VAC power turned off, battery full and note some power draw info at various stages. As heaters are mentioned in the General topic, I'll post a link to this post in that thread.
1600178264_1_heater_startup.jpg
Above - The battery was showing 13.3 V just off Float charge and 100% full. The glowpin is operating along with the fan, note the 9.5 A load and the battery voltage at 12.4 V. If the battery was at rest (If I left it for a few hours) the voltage would be about 12.9 V, so it drops about 0.5 V under this load.
1600178264_2_heater_running.jpg
Above - Here the glowpin is off, and the fan is going like the clappers (jet turbine style, lol) It pulls 3.0 A and the voltage has gone back up to 12.6.
1600178264_3_heater_idling_on.jpg
Above - Here the heater is on and idling as it is only holding temp, at 1.7 amps, however I also have a light on, so the heater is only using 1.2 amps, the voltage was changing from 12.5 to 12.6, so about the same as pic 2.
1600178264_4_heater_shutdown.jpg
Above - The heater has been turned off, the glopin comes back on to burn off diesel around it for about 45 seconds and the fan slowly reduces to off. Thius was just before it went off.

There is more to say re the above - next post

1 user likes this post: robmoto

condor22
16 September 2020 01:24 am

I may have noted this before......

I'll give 2 examples to qualify why I turn my heater on sooner than later. Same scenario for both examples - Van is on battery power (no 240 VAC), temp in the van is 18 C and I know that tonight is going down to 8 C overnight. Current time is 1600 (4 pm for the 12 hr mob)

Example 1 - (approx values shown) The heater gets turned on at 1600 and set to 20 C, the glowpin only comes on for < 2 minutes = 0.3 AH. It goes fast for maybe 15 minutes to reach 20 C @ 3.0 A = 0.75 AH. (for a 2 degree temp increase) Then for the next 6 hours set to that temp it idles and uses (in my experience) approx 6 AH. Time now 2200 (10 pm). TOTAL AH used = approx 7 AH.

Example 2 - The heater gets turned on at 1900 (3 hours later) however, the van ambient is now down to 12 C and again from my experience will take at least an hour or more to get to 20 C = 3 AH. (An increase of 8 degrees) Then another 3+ AH for the next 3 hours to the same shut off as example 1. = 6+ AH.

In other words, you save sod all in battery by turning the heater on later. Similarly, the same logic applies to the amount of diesel used as the faster the heater, the more fuel used.

Very much up to the individual, but I prefer to have the comfort as soon as it's needed and less time listening to a "jet engine". smile

2 users like this post: PabloP, robmoto

condor22
17 September 2020 06:35 pm

I like to keep a record of what I have done re the electrics, here's the latest wiring diagram
1600328153_van_power_mod.jpg

2 users like this post: PabloP, Ded Driver

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site