You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Occasional_panner
06 August 2016 10:50 am

I'm confused, Reedy creek is on the exempted list but every man and his dog goes there.

1 user likes this post: AtomRat

Occasional_panner
17 August 2016 09:44 am

I forgot to post an update, oh well, better late than never. There is a map of the area that you are allowed to prospect in.
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets … -Guide.pdf

Other maps can be found here,
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/visit/popular … fossicking

Just thought I'd post it for any newcomers like myself.

1 user likes this post: jimnyjerry

xcvator
12 December 2016 11:29 am

So can I use the water in an exempted river/creek to process, with a river sluice, classified dirt dug out of a dry creek bed adjoining , but not in, the exempted river

blennus
21 June 2017 07:11 pm

I think I might have been avoiding a pannable creek very close to me for a little over a year now... on the exempt list it mentions "Yarrowee River Tributary of Barwon River" there happens to be a Yarrowee creek near me (Sebastopol in Ballarat)... and it never occurred to me that there could be a different one... given the Barwon River is quite a bit further down South (or at least Google Maps seems to have it listed down there)... is my local Yarrowee Creek a different creek and I can therefore pan it or does the Barwon River come all the way up here and muck up my hopes of a short trip to pan? (I should probably know more about the path of the Barwon River but my memory is a bit rusty).

casper
21 June 2017 09:26 pm

blennus wrote:

I think I might have been avoiding a pannable creek very close to me for a little over a year now... on the exempt list it mentions "Yarrowee River Tributary of Barwon River" there happens to be a Yarrowee creek near me (Sebastopol in Ballarat)... and it never occurred to me that there could be a different one... given the Barwon River is quite a bit further down South (or at least Google Maps seems to have it listed down there)... is my local Yarrowee Creek a different creek and I can therefore pan it or does the Barwon River come all the way up here and muck up my hopes of a short trip to pan? (I should probably know more about the path of the Barwon River but my memory is a bit rusty).

the creek and the river may be one and the same .....

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/3240 … t-a-creek/

" Luck happens when Preparation meets Opportunity "

casper
21 June 2017 09:44 pm

ooops - double post ops

Last edited by casper (21 June 2017 09:45 pm)

Occasional_panner
21 June 2017 10:14 pm

Poop out of luck mate, that one is off limits.

casper
21 June 2017 11:46 pm

Occasional_panner wrote:

Poop out of luck mate, that one is off limits.

Yes - curious though that the Yarrowee mentioned on the exempt list says it is a tributary of the Barwon River, a river which is on the opposite side (south side) of the Dividing Range to the Yarrowee River/creek asociated with the Ballarat Goldfield.

Last edited by casper (21 June 2017 11:47 pm)

nucopia
22 June 2017 09:08 am

Its a debacle
Its a shame we dont have any lawyers on the forum that could challenge this for us

every day is an adventure

OldGT
22 June 2017 07:36 pm

nucopia wrote:

Its a debacle
Its a shame we dont have any lawyers on the forum that could challenge this for us

If the tattslotto win is in the millions it's right near the top of the to do list....

1 user likes this post: nucopia

20xwater
22 June 2017 07:49 pm

OldGT wrote:
nucopia wrote:

Its a debacle

If the tattslotto win is in the millions it's right near the top of the to do list....

but there's no gold in the exempt creeks and rivers, they are exempt so no-one wastes
their time and energy digging there for nothing and disturbing things..

Occasional_panner
22 June 2017 08:59 pm

20xwater wrote:
OldGT wrote:
nucopia wrote:

Its a debacle

but there's no gold in the exempt creeks and rivers, they are exempt so no-one wastes
their time and energy digging there for nothing and disturbing things..

BS big_smile

2 users like this post: nucopia, Rusty_G

ballarat_gold
Banned
Banned
22 June 2017 10:36 pm

The yarowee's a no go... Not that you'd want to pan or bank out of it. The shite farm dump there crap couple times a year in it.

fergo1
20 October 2019 11:52 pm

IVE JUST BOUGHT A PROPERT IN GREYTOWN AND I WAS WONDERING IF I CAN SLUICE MAJOR CREEK

fergo1
21 October 2019 12:42 am

1571578942_w1920-h1080-w3456-h2304-2012771626_1_pi_161121_104247.jpg

MegsyB007
21 October 2019 02:24 am

Hi Fergo and welcome to PA.

I'm assuming you mean Major Creek in Graytown Victoria, that's spelt with an 'A' in Graytown, not some other town in Australia actually called Greytown.

Major Creek is not on the exempt list, so it's OK to sluice there. As long as you're on private property, it's fine. There is prospecting allowed in certain areas at the Heathcote-Graytown National Park. Check this map for areas.

https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/asset … ng-map.pdf

Stay out of the Puckapunyal Military Area or you could get your ass shot.

And this is the list of rivers and creeks where you can't prospect/fossick, for future reference.

https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/licen … nt-fossick

You still need a Miner's Right to prospect on private property too. Go to the earth resources website to buy one online.

Good luck. smile

Cheers,
Megsy

PS: Please don't yell at us, which you do when using ALL CAPITALS....

Last edited by MegsyB007 (21 October 2019 03:20 am)

The Australian bush - love it - take care of it.

2 users like this post: Northeast, sand surfer

Katabatic
14 September 2020 09:57 am

I appreciate that this thread is getting a bit long in the tooth......but it's still an interesting and very relevant topic.

Whilst doing a bit of research I came across some interesting information on the DELWP website......

propertyandlandtitles*vic*gov*au/surveying/advice-and-guidelines-for-surveyors/ambulatory-boundaries........change the "*" accordingly..

The two papers worth a read are:

The Doctrine of Accretion (PDF, 598.7 KB)

and, particularly,

River Boundary Determination (PDF, 2.9 MB)

The second paper is described thus:

Rivers and their impact on cadastral boundaries in Victoria
These Surveyor-General Practice guidelines take the form of case studies that demonstrate the impact of moving rivers on cadastral boundaries.

The guidelines emphasise the significance and importance of the:

1881 Order In Council, by which land along 280 rivers was permanently reserved
1905 Water Act, which clarified the term 'bed and banks'
1850 Separation Act, which dealt with the Murray River as the state boundary.

The role of the Surveyor-General as an arbitrator, providing authoritative determination of boundaries is discussed and the role of the licensed surveyor as a planner and land manager.

Possibly some interesting curfew reading smile

Last edited by Katabatic (14 September 2020 10:30 am)

MegsyB007
14 September 2020 03:48 pm

Yes, I read these a while back and found them interesting reading.

Here are the direct links for you.

https://www.propertyandlandtitles.vic.g … boundaries

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … retion.pdf

One file is too big to upload here. Access via the website.

Cheers,
Megsy

Last edited by MegsyB007 (14 September 2020 04:07 pm)

The Australian bush - love it - take care of it.

1 user likes this post: Katabatic

Blockie235
20 September 2020 09:48 pm

Weekend prospector show on 7mate just aired latest episode panning and sniping in the Yarra river ( listed on exempt river document ) well and truly upstream from plenty river junction.
Myself and others have emailed vic gov departments asking clarification re legality.
Let’s hope production company tests in court. perfect

Booney
21 September 2020 12:58 am

What a knob thing to do . if your looking for high fives your in the wrong place . Do you have any proof of your allegations.Get your facts strait . It’s TV

Blockie235
21 September 2020 08:00 am

So it must be good and well then if it’s on tv ?

Katabatic
21 September 2020 09:25 am

Blockie235 wrote:

Weekend prospector show on 7mate just aired latest episode panning and sniping in the Yarra river ( listed on exempt river document ) well and truly upstream from plenty river junction.
Myself and others have emailed vic gov departments asking clarification re legality.
Let’s hope production company tests in court. perfect

Assuming that the location is as you maintain, the reaction of the Department(s) will be interesting.

Please keep us informed of any response.

Last edited by Katabatic (21 September 2020 10:22 am)

hippyhunter
21 September 2020 11:51 am

I have to agree. It is wayy the wrong thing he did. I wouldn't give a damn aboit someone popping down the yarra to have a sneaky covert pan, while doing their best not to draw attention. Nobody will get caught out and it will not inpact on our prospecting hobby.
But by flaunting it on commercial tv.. sorry but thats cooked. Now, even if by some chance he has legal right to pan where he did, the fact is, he is suggesting to everyone in tv land that its cool great and ok to pan the yarra.. now i would guess a lot of people watching arent going to look up on the internet all the requirements and legalities of prospecting.. they just will get their frypan out after watching the show and head straight to the yarra. That would greatly increase the chances of a greenie seeing this and claimong this is standard prospecting practise leading to lobbying to limit prospecting further.
Not really something i agree with him promoting. I hope he will address this in an episode in the very near future, as he is misleading a lot of people with this at the least.

3 users like this post: Swinging & digging, Caesar, Katabatic

hippyhunter
21 September 2020 11:57 am

Can always let the guy know yourself lol
https://theweekendprospector.tv/contact

1 user likes this post: Ag Man

Blockie235
23 September 2020 05:03 pm

Reply received today
“Please see attached links to exempt rivers & creeks list “ was all I got in reply. Will be interesting to see if any of the plethora of tourist who frequent this area and may decide to pan for gold after watching this show get fined or not.

2 users like this post: Katabatic, Ag Man

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site