Sito Scoop carbon handle doesn't fit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday all

I recently purchased a SITO scoop from Sito and a matching carbon handle. I assume the receiver for the handle on the scoop is made incorrectly, warped from welding, or just plain the wrong size. I have measured the inside ID of the scoop and it is predominantly 37mm though in a couple of spots it's 39mm. My carbon handle from SITO is almost perfectly 38mm OD. To get it to fit I would have to shave off 1mm total or .5mm off all edges and the handle's thickness is 2mm so I don't think that is a good idea. Do any of you have this handle scoop setup and can point out what I'm doing wrong or confirm that what I'm seeing isn't made right?

Cheers
Bear

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/yAnoBQZ_hhY[/video]

You could try heating the receiver to expand it a bit. Immerse it in boiling water for a while and see if that does the trick. If not, you could heat it further with a gas torch or possibly an induction cooking element, if the stainless steel responds to induction heating.

If it varies from 37 to 39, it is out of shape.
When in shape equates to 38, as it should be.
Adjust it.

I have been in contact with Sito Scoop and they are going to replace the scoop. I hadn't used it yet so that is a good solution. I figure bending it would likely void the warranty and so I didn't touch it. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for your input and solutions, had I got no joy from Sito I would be looking to still use it and some of your suggestions would probably have worked at least for a timber handle.

Cheers

Bear

Latest posts