gold around the illawarra?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
was looking at panning as iam new to it and was told kangaroo valley was the best spot to start out and was wondering if anyone would tell me the what too start out with either with pan or get a small sluice?

Hi Pigeon
Welcome to the forum.

I have heard reports of gold in Kangaroo Valley, but not investigated it myself. There has been some discussion on this forum about KV lately, just use the search function to find the thread.

Also search for Oallen Ford, as this is the location closest to the Illawarra that has lots of (very fine) gold.

I'd recommend starting off with the pan, as you need to have good panning skills to process the concentrates generated by a sluice or highbanker, so it makes sense to polish up your skills with the pan first.

It may be a good idea to buy a bag or two of concentrates that you can play with and learn the basics of panning.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11228

hi mate and welcome to the forum, there is meant to be gold in KV but from what i have seen you are not allowed to prospect/fossick anywhere there but i would love to be proven wrong as i want to try there myself, Oallen ford is a good spot to get a start and learn what is what

firstly what type of sluicing you plan on doing? do you want just a nice small river sluice that you can sit and just hand feed or do you plan to turn bigger amounts of material using a highbanker with a petrol pump?
a sluice can be bought or you could make one if you are handy on the tools, they dont need to be fancy by any means and the set up can vary a bit depending on the gold you are chasing, have a look through the forum there a many talks on sluices and i am sure you will find one you like, most of it comes down to trial and error but you will learn a lot from here and it lowers the error, i started with a home made river sluice now have a highbanker with petrol pump also

Thanks mate yeah I might try with a small river one first and the go from there hopefully I get onto some so I get more keen

good plan, start small and make sure it is something you want to do, then the sky is the limit, there are a lot of very smart and experienced people on here and are willing to help

Thanks mate Iam now just in the process of seeing what's the best things to buy for myself would u suggest what sluice I should maybe look at buying because I was just looking at getting one from the us

i had a good look at 'Sluicy Gold Equipment' yesterday, have to say there stuff looks really good and value for money, and as a bonus it is made here in Australia by a prospector or as backcreek said check out the sponsor trades section, it is good to support the guys that support our forum

and what about the ebay gold pan packs with 2 pans 2 little sieves magnet and vials and tweezers for like $25 delivered?

Hey Pidgeon,
Can you put up the link about the eBay buy for $25. I only ask so that we can see if it value for the dollar or not?
Also, if you can get to Canberra, detect a den has a shop front in Fyshwick. At the very least, you could get face to face advise.

Mate I would love to share the link but Iam hopeless at tech
Go to eBay and search cheap gold pans and scroll thru it

Similar to that it won't let me search via phone only on the computer
What do u think I do buy a cheap set and if I don't like get the garrets?

Hi guys firstly thank you to prospecting australia for this great site.
So guys iv read through your comments and i have vast knowledge and i am based in wollongong i currently am looking at creating a local prospecting group and some teams to go out and have great time out i eill have more details up in the future for you with some confirmed by myself and others of areas you can get full access to an some that arnt known of i will also add there are a few close spots in the wollongong region where u will find small quantaties in the comming weeks as the weather warms up ill be taking some people out for a pan and a detect i would ike to say this to people from over seas looking to go bush and pan please for your own safety tell others where u are going and please update yourselves on our native animals ect because our lands can ne dangerous i would also like to say please if ur going on old mine sites be catious and under no circomestance walked into a mine as some of our mines were shut down due to gas and unstanle formations anyway for all this wanting to get into some real panning drop me a message and we will get some stuff sorted for you all it is lovely to me you all have a nice day ;)