Spoon

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone help with this spoon? Has Sheffield written on the back, preceded by 5 letters, possibly water? Found at the Temora Gold fields

Thanks

1599294759_eccf0ec1-90e2-4053-8a84-8d7fcfb474a0.jpg

1599294760_09406ebf-3001-476a-ba11-a229e2a2cdbf.jpg

1599294760_aef72925-6203-4f64-aeb2-cb302638228d.jpg

1599294760_ac099377-01e7-4274-b15c-695b929a90ac.jpg

Hi Thomo,

Interesting spoon! I can't find any reference to "water Sheffield", which it does look like it says on it. Can you clean it up any more to be sure though?

People might say it's a tea caddy spoon, being that shape with the short handle and big spoon bowl, but I'm leaning towards a berry spoon (sometimes called a fruit spoon). It just seems too big to be a tea caddy spoon to me. Although it's hard to tell it's actual size without measurements or a reference. It could also be a honey spoon. It's size would be helpful to get a better idea. On the other hand, tea caddy spoons were made with brass and copper in the 20th century, and that looks brass (or tarnished copper) to me.

Don't think it's silver or silver plated without any hallmarks or marks on it.

With that pattern and pointed shape of the handle end, I get the feeling it's not that old. Seems more "modern" than antique to me. Older spoons tended to have a rounded end unless they were particularly decorative. But I might be wrong!

Sorry I couldn't have been more help. I did give it a good search, but came up with nothing this time. Very disappointing!

Good luck with your search though. Let us know if you do find out anything about it. I'd be curious to know! :)

Cheers,
Megsy

Hi Thomo

So is there detector able gold there??
Ive been there a few times and didnt know there was a gold mine there! Admittedly I only went there for the air shows.
Cheers mate

MegsyB007 said:
Hi Thomo,

Interesting spoon! I can't find any reference to "water Sheffield", which it does look like it says on it. Can you clean it up any more to be sure though?

People might say it's a tea caddy spoon, being that shape with the short handle and big spoon bowl, but I'm leaning towards a berry spoon (sometimes called a fruit spoon). It just seems too big to be a tea caddy spoon to me. Although it's hard to tell it's actual size without measurements or a reference. It could also be a honey spoon. It's size would be helpful to get a better idea. On the other hand, tea caddy spoons were made with brass and copper in the 20th century, and that looks brass (or tarnished copper) to me.

Don't think it's silver or silver plated without any hallmarks or marks on it.

With that pattern and pointed shape of the handle end, I get the feeling it's not that old. Seems more "modern" than antique to me. Older spoons tended to have a rounded end unless they were particularly decorative. But I might be wrong!

Sorry I couldn't have been more help. I did give it a good search, but came up with nothing this time. Very disappointing!

Good luck with your search though. Let us know if you do find out anything about it. I'd be curious to know! :)

Cheers,
Megsy

Thanks Megsy,

After some cleaning, its POTTER.SHEFFIELD on the back, thanks for the advice

Mike

Latest posts