⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to those who replied.
I'll attach a couple of pics of me holding some choccies. This is the sort of thing I need just substitute the chocolate with two or three decent, shiny, nuggets. (Unfortunately, not something I have handy)
Could be either solid
1597897378_choc_in_hand_1.jpg

1597897379_choc_in_hand_2.jpg
gold, or showing quartz. So long as they look bright n shiny.
The pics would need to be well-lit and well-focused. They are for a book cover, after all. These were taken with an iPad.
I really appreciate the input I've received so far. When this is sorted, I'll happily post a link to the manuscript for anyone who likes a good read.
Actually, some technical input from some who know more about gold mining than myself might just prove useful.

pinfire opals said:
tudogz said:
Hi everyone.
A while back I was communicating with a couple of guys about a novel I was writing based around gold mining. The book is finished (Big thanks to those who helped me with relevant info) and Im working on the cover. Id really like to get my hands on a photo of a man extending his hand towards the camera and holding some medium-sized nuggets. (three, by preference) If anyone here has a photo that would suit Id really like to hear from you. Theres definitely a free copy in it and Im willing to negotiate on a reasonable fee. Thanks in anticipation. Thomas (tudogz)
Reg Wilson would be the person to chat with, pretty sure he would have something from his gold album for you, and big multi hundred oz nuggs. Hes on this forum look him up. :Y:
Thanks. I've sent Reg a PM.
Love the opal, by the way! :inlove: :perfect: :goldnugget: :goldpan: :pickshovel:

1598665333_gold_cover.jpg

Hi everyone. Thanks to al those who chipped in to help me with my book cover. Here's the end result.

If anyone would like a free pre-release copy just PM me with your email and I'll send an EPUB version.

Don't you wish you had a handful like this? I know I do!

PS: Hope the image comes through OK. It doesn't show in preview.

tudogz said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/16013/1598665333_gold_cover.jpg

Hi everyone. Thanks to al those who chipped in to help me with my book cover. Here's the end result.

If anyone would like a free pre-release copy just PM me with your email and I'll send an EPUB version.

that gold looks fake, its to consistent in size, shape, smoothness.. everything. I've never seen a mining ops crusher output but still, looks fake

BigL said:
tudogz said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/16013/1598665333_gold_cover.jpg

that gold looks fake, its to consistent in size, shape, smoothness.. everything. I've never seen a mining ops crusher output but still, looks fake
I thought the same. Looks like painted rocks?
It is a fictional novel I guess :)

BigL said:
tudogz said:

Yeah, it's my cover designer's rendering of some nuggets. As someone else said, it's for a fiction book, anyway. So long as it catches the eye, then it's done its job. :) :) :)

husky said:
Having just finished reading tudogz novel i thoroughly recommend checking it out, intriguing reading to say the least and i think a talented writer :Y:
I have no affiliation with tudogz just thought id put it out there, i love a good book involving gold and this is one of them, hats off to you bud :beer:

Husky

Post a cover picture would ya :p after all it's the show and tell thread :) :beer: thanks for the insight :perfect:

RM Outback said:
husky said:
Having just finished reading tudogz novel i thoroughly recommend checking it out, intriguing reading to say the least and i think a talented writer :Y:
I have no affiliation with tudogz just thought id put it out there, i love a good book involving gold and this is one of them, hats off to you bud :beer:

Husky

Post a cover picture would ya :p after all it's the show and tell thread :) :beer: thanks for the insight :perfect:

Check post #9194, looks good.

Teemore said:
RM Outback said:
husky said:

Husky

Check post #9194, looks good.

Saw that and read it as an example to demonstrate what tudogz was trying to convey in words, I'm looking for something a little bit better :playful:

Moneybox said:
Mrs M and I left in April this year for a birthday party at Shark Bay. We spent the first month fishing and sight seeing with many of our family members from the eastern states. From there we headed northeast to escape the oncoming winter thats quite cold and wet in WAs southwest.

Before leaving home we packed all the tools for prospecting. We have a crow bar, shovels, sieves, rakes, picks, detectors, hoes, rope ladder, ropes and chains, maps and GPS and a PLB just in case something serious happens. Weve shared our months away looking for old bottles, gemstones, rusty relics and gold. Wed planned on three or four months away but I was always hopeful it would still drag out a bit further. The nasty weather down south helped me there :cool:

This is the result of some serious research and several weeks or really intense detecting in the Pilbara region of WA. We took a break on a couple of occasions collecting colourful rocks, bottles, coins and things and then hit the gold again.

There were some huge gold finds while we were there. Several groups of people were involved prospecting on a pending lease just a few kilometres down the road from Karratha. Over 1000 ounces were reportedly found but as the news spread of each new find the place was crawling with vehicles and detectors. We're not that keen on being seen in the field so for the majority of the time we headed off to more remote locations hoping to pick up the odd bit. We travelled into remote hills and valleys where at times there were no roads or tracks. Fortunately our vehicle only suffered one puncture in the bush and a tyre blow-out on the highway.

The detectors needed some attention while we were in the bush. We purchased and wore out 5 skid plates on the SDC and ended up repairing the last of them to keep going. I started out with a new skid plate and wore out 2 more on the 4500 before repairing the last one of those as well. The coil hinges wore out on the SDC causing the coil to flop about with no way of tightening it. I used the plastic from a yoghurt container to form a replaceable bush in the hinge, something it should have been made with. The battery charger on the SDC was always troublesome but it got to the point where we had to replace it and while we were at it we bought a third set of rechargeable 'C' size batteries. The adaptor cable on the SDC gave trouble again so Mrs M ended up using the original Koss earphones but it looks like the audio plug on the detector is a bit dicky because it still gave her trouble. I had trouble keeping the skid plates on the 4500 until I got Leukoplast from the chemist. It's much more abrasive resistant than the insulation tape I used previously. The batteries on the White's GMT (our pin pointer) went flat as well and they were only about 18 months old :)

We got lucky, very lucky, because we are used to finding quite a bit of small gold but rarely get a decent sized nugget. This time we got several and many of them came from well worked ground that has seen way too many GPZ7000s over it in the last couple of years. Hunting the yellow we used the GPX4500 with a 14" Coiltek Mono Elite and an SDC2300 along with a little blood, sweat and tears :/

Holy Smokes fella that is impressive . i am 3 years late being in Karratha , dont suppose you could put some back so we can have an even chance ? :lol:

I welcome any pointers around Karratha if you can message me places that are way down the list for you pro's where you wouldnt bother going because you have nicer spots , i just want to crack the cherry with this SDC with my first bit for this trip even if its a 0.1 gram.

Good luck to you Moneybox.

ps . good user name that !

Great nuggets and super interesting video, Tryhard!

I had a good old laugh when you told Jack he wasn't a bad luck dog anymore though! :lol:

Amazing how Normal romps those targets in. In the right ground it's unbeatable for target response. If you have anything more than mild country or, you're in a hot rocks area then it can be an absolute nightmare to get running smoothly. :awful:

Cheers,
Shauno.

Latest posts