The Future of Camper Vans.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When looking at the c/km running costs of an electric vehicle, the life-cycle cost of the battereis need to be factored in too, in the same way servicing is a running cost for petrol/diesel/lpg vehicles.
When buying a 2nd hand electric vehicle it would be prudent to know the typical lifespan of the batteries in it, & factor in the remaining life & replacement cost to the asking price.
Also, it occured to me that it might not be a good idea to do river crossings in an electric 4WD (coming soon apparently) after reading this extract;
"EV Battery Specs: Voltages and Capacities
For example, a 400V nominal pack will often have around 96 series blocks (as in the Tesla Model 3). Common nominal pack voltages in current vehicles range from 100V-200V for hybrid/plug-in hybrid vehicles and 400V to 800V and higher for electric-only vehicles."

Around 400V & the sort of current that is available could potentially make cremated critters out of the occupants! :skull:
Hopefully the manufacturers are going to take this into consideration.

Ded Driver said:
When looking at the c/km running costs of an electric vehicle, the life-cycle cost of the battereis need to be factored in too, in the same way servicing is a running cost for petrol/diesel/lpg vehicles.
When buying a 2nd hand electric vehicle it would be prudent to know the typical lifespan of the batteries in it, & factor in the remaining life & replacement cost to the asking price.
Also, it occured to me that it might not be a good idea to do river crossings in an electric 4WD (coming soon apparently) after reading this extract;
"EV Battery Specs: Voltages and Capacities
For example, a 400V nominal pack will often have around 96 series blocks (as in the Tesla Model 3). Common nominal pack voltages in current vehicles range from 100V-200V for hybrid/plug-in hybrid vehicles and 400V to 800V and higher for electric-only vehicles."

Around 400V & the sort of current that is available could potentially make cremated critters out of the occupants! :skull:
Hopefully the manufacturers are going to take this into consideration.

well I have seen wild claims that they should last 15 years +/- but climate will have a major impact on their service life as we all know, I think Hybrid vehicles is the safer option because when the batteries bite the dust at leased you still have a proper engine to fall back on,

And then there is the cost of home charging of having to fork out another High Output electricity supply, The cost of the extra equipment and the surge in your power bills is going to sky rocket, Not to mention the standing charge that you will incur even if you don't use it As I do with my Power and Gas supply which is close to $600 per year.

All this GREEN Talk is a Nice pipe dream but people on low incomes are not going to be able to afford EV's or any of the related charges, and the most low income earners can do is buy cheap solar panels to lessen the cost of running their homes, Electric Vehicles are rich mans toys or for those who have a fairly good income who want to say look at me I'm doing my bit, And until these companies cut the prices of EV's by about 30% these vehicle are way out of reach of the common man, Or maybe that is the long term goal in order to reduce the amount of traffic on the roads, This is not going to do away with the need for Semi's and Diesel Trains so our world can not be totally Green, but at present we reduce our Carbon footprint and then the GOV go and build a 5 Runway where ONE Plane taking off puts out the same amount of pollution as 5000 Semi's running for a day yet they want to have more planes landing and taking off every 90 seconds for 24 hours a day, All in the name of boosting the economy but they make up us do all the hard yards and pay more money and loose our vehicles so they can make money,

The powers that be have no intension of reducing the carbon footprint what so ever, But they DO make us reduce ours so they intern can prosper, Since the Lockdown we have much cleaner sky's and pollution levels have dropped by 85%, They claim it is because people are not driving but the truth is the lack of Aircraft Owns about 84% of that drop.

Latest posts