You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

xcvator
30 May 2020 07:56 pm

steve f wrote:

40w hot glue gun and a glue stick is all you need

You been sneaking around my place lol
I tried a little 7mm glue gun from the BGS today, was fine on the wood, but didn't stick to the stone, would it help if the stone was warm ?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-10w-t … n_p6290184

Pat Hogen
30 May 2020 08:30 pm

Bunnings $8 - Loctite PRECISION Super Glue (recommended out of all the super glues), initially, final setting I use Tite-On, but I think 2 part Araldite will work just as well. A torch flame on the dop will release the stone within 10 seconds.

Last edited by Pat Hogen (30 May 2020 08:31 pm)

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

xcvator
30 May 2020 09:10 pm

Pat Hogen wrote:

Bunnings $8 - Loctite PRECISION Super Glue (recommended out of all the super glues), initially, final setting I use Tite-On, but I think 2 part Araldite will work just as well. A torch flame on the dop will release the stone within 10 seconds.

can you explain this "initially" part please Pat, is this for cabbing or facetting ?

Pat Hogen
30 May 2020 10:13 pm

First part, set the stone to the dop using the Loctite "Precision" glue, allow it to cure, then bed it down with a secondary bonding using the 2 part epoxy bond' Will never fall off. (unless it is mistreated, like dropped or put in the freezer.)

2 users like this post: xcvator, LoneWolf

steve f
31 May 2020 01:32 am

xcvator wrote:
steve f wrote:

You been sneaking around my place lol
I tried a little 7mm glue gun from the BGS today, was fine on the wood, but didn't stick to the stone, would it help if the stone was warm ?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-10w-t … n_p6290184

You need a 40 watt gun

xcvator
31 May 2020 10:51 pm

steve f wrote:

I've got a little BGS 10w glue gun, tried it with the stone cold and warm, just fell off,( wooden dop stick ) is there a secret to using a glue gun ?

Thinking 2 alternatives atm

1/ superglue
pros=quick, strong
cons=acetone to release(highly volatile)probably need a pin vice to hold small nails as dop sticks,might need reinforcing with epoxy ( how to release ?) {and messy }

2/ wax
pros=tried and proven ? (might need shellac for strength), easy to remove from dop stick
cons=needs outside heat to melt the wax, prone to failure if not done exactly right.

I'm not wanting to start a glue v's wax discussion, just what is overall the easiest,most reliable way of doping. Personally I don't care which I use provided it WORKS RELIABLY.Once I'm committed to a system I can't afford to go back and change.

LoneWolf
01 June 2020 12:21 am

Acetone (a type of paint thinners) is available from Supercheap in the Paint section, or just steal some of the Mrs Nail polish remover... Most are Acetone based.. Should be on the label somewhere if it is or not......

Just got 2 litres for the Daughter to melt off her acrylic nails with... wink

LW....

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Union Proud and Union Strong... A.M.W.U Active Member....

sand surfer
01 June 2020 10:24 am

I don't have any problems with the wax xcvator, i only do cabs ,i use the green cabbing wax on dowel dops

I use the dop pot from aussie sapphire to melt the wax it has a edge around the dop pot to heat the stones up too ,you will need a lid for it ,it does not like cool/cold weather it has trouble melting the wax,i found the lid of a lortone 3 lb tumbler barrel is a good fit

SS

AT PRO international,1 pick ,1 pelican pick,shovel,sieve's,pans, 8" gold rat dream mat river sluice,crazy crusher,elbow grease and a back that scream's don't do it

Pat Hogen
01 June 2020 10:25 am

cons=acetone to release(highly volatile)probably need a pin vice to hold small nails as dop sticks,might need reinforcing with epoxy ( how to release ?) {and messy }

No to all the above. A cigarette lighter on the dop will release the stone, that is all that is required. Use a cloth to hold the stone but the stone should not be allowed to get so hot that you cannot touch it.
Use a nail or toothpick to apply epoxy to dop and stone.

There is nothing complicated in it. Clean up with acetate a small jar or bowl.

1 user likes this post: xcvator

Pat Hogen
01 June 2020 10:29 am

No to all the above. A cigarette lighter on the dop will release the stone, that is all that is required. Use a cloth to hold the stone but the stone should not be allowed to get so hot that you cannot touch it.
Use a nail or toothpick to apply epoxy to dop and stone.

There is nothing complicated in it. Clean up with acetate a small jar or bowl.

1 user likes this post: xcvator

xcvator
25 August 2020 09:04 pm

Why is my dopping wax sticking to the stones, lots of it, bung the stones in the freezer, 10 minutes or over night, doesn't matter. The only way I can get it off is to warm the stone and carve the wax off.

Think I'll stick ( big_smile ) with super glue and acetone