My Nuts Are Coming Undone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My nuts are coming undone ?

Just finished my bigger and upgraded slant cabber and I've found a problem that I just hadn't foreseen, the motor is an instant on and instant off, 1400 rpm. The on is ok, but the instant stop means that the discs keep spinning (momentum ) and the locating nut comes undone, short of adding a lock nut which would be a pain in the rear, or using nylock nuts does anybody have any suggestions please ?

Can you drill into the disc and plate, and fit a locating pin/dowel? That would take the sudden stop of the nut. and stop the disc trying to keep spinning.

But hard to say not knowing how it is set up.

Cheers

You could try a very cheap fluid coupling between the motor and the disc. That may work as there are many different types available.
cheers db

1400rmp is worth the price of nylock nuts, not worth trying to reinvent the wheel Keith short cuts cost :( . The pain you mention will be less painful than that of a thousand unforeseen misery moments, we never stop learning :beer:

Try pulling the plug out of the power point while the motor's running, to see if this slows it down gradually, rather than the sudden stop when switched off at the machine. I'm just thinking there could be a brake type system that could be activated by the off switch. Putting a locking dowel on the disc might cause it to shatter in a sudden stop. I'd be hiding under the bench, with only my hand on the switch, the first few times I tried it. wiley. ;)

If your constantly undoing the nuts nylock nuts will be a waste of time as they soon loose their grip, tightening the discs on the shaft is the only solution i can see , a bit of tape on the shaft tapered if possible should prevent them running on. Inmho.

Well after some experimenting today I have ascertained that I need more weight ( at least 1 kg) for everything to work properly. With this added weight the motor doesn't stop dead but runs on a bit so the holding nut stays done up.

Anyone know where I can get a backing plate or master lap, 8" diameter that weighs about a kilo ?

Won't make your motor get hot with the instant on with the extra weight will it ? :p

xcvator said:
Well after some experimenting today I have ascertained that I need more weight ( at least 1 kg) for everything to work properly. With this added weight the motor doesn't stop dead but runs on a bit so the holding nut stays done up.

Anyone know where I can get a backing plate or master lap, 8" diameter that weighs about a kilo ?

Were you had your shaft adapter made, can he turn you one up, maybe.

Thanks guys, I think the problem has been solved, motor is now slowing down a bit with the help of a voltage controller, now I'm waiting on a couple of 50mm flanges to be made :Y:

If it is a brake motor its probably adjustable
Pulling the plug will be no different than flicking the switch
Once de-energised the brake pulls in