Choosing a new vehicle

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday all , im looking for some constructive advice / comments please
My son has been caught up in the recent Pajero airbag debacle , and is about to loose his beloved '98 GLX Paj.
As with many , he has signed a waver , declaring his car as dangerous and now not covered by insurance (which has already been paid for :mad: )
He still doesnt know how much the (first) offer is , and was told it could be months before he is notified
So now he is looking to buy something else.
He has his sights on this 2.5 TD Navara for $15,000 (private sale)

1595538351_img_9744.jpg

1595538351_img_9745.jpg

1595538351_img_9746.jpg

1595538351_img_9747.jpg

He was told that this Navara has had its airbags replaced (steering , side and passenger) and Nissan said it is all sorted now
(I would assume there is some supporting documentation)
Any advice and constructive criticism would be welcome
Cheers

Note sure why the top pic wont load
But it just shows the canopy and (pretend) roll bar that are included

We got an invoice (noting warrantee work - even though out of warrantee) from the dealer who replaced them on our 2007 Pajero and it no longer appears on the government register for needing replacement.

Letters from Mitsubishi went to the original owner, who passed them on to us, otherwise it would have been reliant on us to initiate the recall action.

That's not the notorious made-in-Spain Navara, with a too-small engine and seven (7) speed gears, that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, is it? Dealers were pushing its excellent fuel economy, but owners said the torque band was so narrow that your left arm got RSI from constantly stirring the pot, just to keep the thing moving forwards.

I was also caught up in the same thing and we ended up selling our petrol 1999 manual Exceed to our son for a farm vehicle, he just removed the air bags and it is good to go for what he wanted. Our reason for this was there was more that we did not know about the recall than what we were being told by Mitsubishi and our local dealer said that it was worth around the $1000.00 despite being in very good condition. :awful: :awful:

We ended up purchasing a 2017 Mazda BT50 freestyle cab 2wd which has the same style rear doors as the one you are showing, ours has the 3.2 Turbo diesel and is auto with 43000 kms on speedo. We have not been able to tow our van as yet (no where to go), but as a vehicle it leaves the Pajero for dead, more power, better ride and comfort and the hills that made us flog through the gears in the Pajero do not exist in the Mazda, we have a lot more room for detecting gear in the ute body with canopy and still a lot of room behind the front seats for other bits and pieces. This is the first vehicle that we have owned that is an auto, taking a bit of getting used to not having to change gears all the time. Fuel seems to be a lot better than the Pajero, Pajero was about 14 ltrs/100 kms, Mazda is 9.5 ltrs/100kms just normal driving on both. The Mazda is about 600mm longer and a bit wider than the Pajero and is heavier, even with some oil change problems and the electronics that seem to have now appeared across all makes neither of us would not go back to the Pajero. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Graham

So today my son got an email notifying of the 'buy back' price
Apparently he can either accept it or not
There is no provision to dispute or negotiate
I remember reading in another thread not to accept the first offer
Has anyone got any advice i can pass on

Sandta said:
So today my son got an email notifying of the 'buy back' price
Apparently he can either accept it or not
There is no provision to dispute or negotiate
I remember reading in another thread not to accept the first offer
Has anyone got any advice i can pass on
See if anyone is initiating a group action - you cant take them on alone. Otherwise something beats nothing. Sorry to hear you got caught in this.

Sandta,

My wife's Corolla's airbags were replaced, I also have had recall work done on my Toyoto FJ Cruiser, (now traded) and my current Colorado (neither were airbags.)

All recall work completed will have a sticker to show the recall work has been done and it usually placed on the car body on the pillar of the driver door.

If the sticker isn't there or not readable, DO NOT BUY. It is the law for it to be there and not removed.

My first suggestion to your son, is look for a brand of ute that has not needed airbag replacement. I've never owned a Nissan, but have met a few owners that were not happy, most for the above reasons.

The second thing is once he's narrowed down his choice, go onto the gov't web site to check what recalls there are/where

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/recalls/index.aspx

Then check if the vehicle has been attended to re the above mentioned sticker.

Latest posts