4x4 downhill creep terrible what are my options

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pajero's are a great tourer/dirt roader & sand machine, but were never intended as rock crawlers. The torsion bar suspension has definite limitations in articulation of the wheels ... best suspension on rough/corrugated gravel roads tho'

grubstake said:
Mr Magoo said:
brendomac said:
Hi All,

I have a 4x4, 2014 manual Mitsubishi Triton. Overall a good car, with an exception. When I am in low range, in 1st gear going down steep gradients the car wants to run away from me and I have to use the brake. In other 4x4's I have driven (even really old ones), 1st gear in low range is great, I don't have to use the brakes, it just creeps down the hill, even with a heavy trailer in tow.

So far I have been lucky, it hasn't been super wet or snowy and I have gotten away with it. Even in victoria high country.

Talking to another Mitsubishi owner, this is a thing for that model.

My question is, do I have any options? Can I get the gearing replaced/changed etc? Is there a magical thing I can add to the car etc? I don't particularly want to get rid of the car, it has been good.

If you ideas on costs or who (is it a mechanic, 4x4 shop etc) I should talk to it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Brendo

Why don;t you want to use your brakes? I do in steep country and I don't have a Triton.

Because as your brakes heat up they become less and less effective and may even become useless, leaving you with no way of maintaining control, as in the above post by Just Starting:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=565602#p565602

Mmmm. Not convinced. https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/what... is a term,its preferred rate of deceleration.
That's what I understand. Boiling brake fluid, maintenance. Or gas between friction materials. I can't see any reason that properly maintained brakes don't work.

From what I've read 'Driving through the brakes' seems to be attributed to driving automatic. Do you reckon it applies just as equally to manuals?

Latest posts