Great Offline Prospecting Moving Map App.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have recently been trying a brilliant moving map app called Australian Geology Travel Maps. For iphone. It is an offline ( uses phone gps, no phone reception needed) moving map app that lets you use a huge range of geologic and topo maps from any state that are easilly downloaded. Or configure and download your maps. When you cross a geologic unit boundary it alerts you and you can put in coords and leave trails. You can use satt imagery when you have reception and use multiple layers at once the app is $11.99 for a year subscription. I download the relevant 1:100,000 geo maps before i visit the area.

I mainly use it for WA. After chatting to the developer it now has the daily updated tenements from dmirs and a gold mine/deposit layer, and the graticular block overlay so you can stick to your 40e or work out what blocks you will apply for. The prospector package costs a little more. Extra $ 23 a year..

So i have given it a good plug only because i find it so useful. I have no finance or otherwise connection to the app. Check it out.

You need to be absolutely sure the App is not recording or tracking information and relaying back to the developer... BEWARE!

Also note that some Sat Nav devices (yes SIM less too) relay data back to developers, don't believe me... do some homework!

I won't go into details on how they do this but I will STRONGLY advise you to never ever, ever set waypoint names that reflect gold finds on any sort of device, be it a phone, Sat Nav or PC!

And last of all, did I mention Google Earth.

The mentality of all software developers is to get away with what they can until such time they are canned from doing so.

How do I know all this, I've a background in software development.

You need be prudent by reading the terms and conditions of all software that you don't wish your personal information and or data to be shared from. Most of the time for legal reasons they will disclose this somewhere within their terms and conditions of use. Don't forget they hold the rights to all information and data unless they clearly spell it out in laymen terms, and even then they need to also spell it out that they are not monitoring and or storing data for whatever reason.

Strangely enough, majority of software developers that lease software as apposed to selling it, as in this case, are leasing for a specific reason and that is - usually to retain all rights of all information and data.

Yes the app sounds good. Been looking at it but haven't gone ahead with it yet, just wasn't to sure about it. Saw it over on another forum and just seemed to

disappear.

Thanks for pointing that out BigL.

Cheers

BigL said:
You need to be absolutely sure the App is not recording or tracking information and relaying back to the developer... BEWARE!

Also note that some Sat Nav devices (yes SIM less too) relay data back to developers, don't believe me... do some homework!

I won't go into details on how they do this but I will STRONGLY advise you to never ever, ever set waypoint names that reflect gold finds on any sort of device, be it a phone, Sat Nav or PC!

The mentality of all software developers is to get away with what they can until such time they are canned from doing so.

You need be prudent by reading the terms and conditions of all software that you don't wish your personal information and or data to be shared from. Most of the time for legal reasons they will disclose this somewhere within their terms and conditions of use. Don't forget they hold the rights to all information and data unless they clearly spell it out in laymen terms, and even then they need to also spell it out that they are not monitoring and or storing data for whatever reason.

Strangely enough, majority of software developers that lease software, as in this case, are leasing for a specific reason and that is - usually to retain all rights of all information and data.

Lisa has been helping the developer over summer and the app thingy is 'getting there'.....you always here people saying Minelab is tracking your gold spots on the 7000.....why would they? I really don't think people give a toss where your finding gold or not...assuming your not poaching???

Prooz said:
Yes the app sounds good. Been looking at it but haven't gone ahead with it yet, just wasn't to sure about it. Saw it over on another forum and just seemed to

disappear.

Thanks for pointing that out BigL.

Cheers

.. your welcome

Dont forget, they're not making any more land - and that means they're not making any more resources! Companies that are one step ahead win!

Goldtalk Leonora said:
BigL said:

Strangely enough, majority of software developers that lease software, as in this case, are leasing for a specific reason and that is - usually to retain all rights of all information and data.

Lisa has been helping the developer over summer and the app thingy is 'getting there'.....you always here people saying Minelab is tracking your gold spots on the 7000.....why would they? I really don't think people give a toss where your finding gold or not...assuming your not poaching???

I'm not going to get in a tit for tat argument as to why a company would like to know where you go or find gold or any other resource, instead I'll just ask you to post all your coordinates of where YOU found gold :)

I challenge the developer to clearly spell it out, in laymen terms that its software and or the company is not viewing, storing, recording or retaining data in any shape or form, for its or any of its affiliates or third party use.

no tit for tat....I actually think it's an interesting conversation. I am not a conspiracy theorist....so where I come from is 'why would they'?? Is there any evidence of anything like that being done in the past with metal detectors??

I fully recommend this app, its exactly what I have been looking for, it has so much info and its really easy to use :Y:

I know $11.99 is cheap for what it is. Does it cost any more than that? after paying the subscription?

I would want it mostly for QLD. Very interested sounds good.

Cheers

Peter

I've purchased the App. It will take time to learn and use it. I'll report back with my opinions.

Ive purchased the app and included the WA prospectors package
I'll keep in mind your comments about ownership rights to tracks/waypoints etc BigL....might just store that type of into on my handheld Garmin GPS (or is that also subject to the same issues?)
I'm trying to work through the use of the sliding overlay function with tenements on satellite imagery
Looks just like the tool to use when out of range
Bazza

Bazzwaldo said:
Ive purchased the app and included the WA prospectors package
I'll keep in mind your comments about ownership rights to tracks/waypoints etc BigL....might just store that type of into on my handheld Garmin GPS (or is that also subject to the same issues?)
I'm trying to work through the use of the sliding overlay function with tenements on satellite imagery
Looks just like the tool to use when out of range
Bazza

Bazza, I think you should be ok storing locations on a GPS satnav, I do. But this alone won't stop prying eyes, you need to be very carful when back home updating or syncing your device. My suggestion is, save your SatNav data elsewhere and delete all info on it before performing any type of update or syncing. My SatNav uses a mem card, all my data is saved to the card, I then remove that card from the device and delete everything on the device before performing any sort of update or sync task.

One thing you need to keep in mind is.. selecting not to use waypoints or trails on any sort of device won't stop prying eyes, because software can be programmed so that it automatically saves this type of data anyway and passes it onto the devices PC software or developers server when updating or syncing the device or its software. Yes, that includes SatNavs too!

The best advice I can give you is, read the software terms and conditions of use and make sure you interpret everything from all angles. If they don't explicitly say they're not doing something, then beware!

Hi All,

I fully endorse the App and think it is a fantastic resource for the Dectorist, I use it with the WAS pack for my business scraping abnd detecting on my Leases in WA.
I actually like the App that much I have started putting together map packs for the Vicotrian Goldfields including old time maps all fully georeferenced to run on both mobiles abnd tablets. I know I am not meant to advertise on here so if you google tryhardprospecting you will find my site.

I tried the app and deleted it. But, just because I don't like it doesn't mean others will.
It's really worth a shot. Give it a try.

I agree Patrick1 the default maps dont really help a gold detector operator in VIc this is the reason I have created custom map packs for prospectors. THese are the same maps I use to earn nmy income here in VIc as a fulltime prospector.

I downloaded this a few days ago and tried to pay my $11 and subscribe because ive heard some good things. However, it seems you must do the 7 day freebie first before they take your subscription money. Its currently annoying the hell outta me when every time you touch the map the subscription page comes up.

I can confirm that this app is a great resource.

It has helped on a number of occasions to get me back to where I needed to be without much fuss, even in deep bush situations.

Plenty of features Im still learning. The tracking feature can sometimes drop out all you need to do is toggle the track button and it will replot the track.

1 on topic post - I use the Trilobite Geology Travel Maps and find them very useful.

1 slightly off topic post - Try Hard Prospecting - the geochem data survey that can be downloaded from earthresources - how the heck do you download this into a readable form or overlay a map? Can it be over-layed over Google Earth? Easily over-layed over the Geo Travel Maps? Or is it super technical and we should purchase them off you? ;)

I can't work out what application to use to open these files or which ones to actually open anyway. There is a plethora of data on geovic - if only I could work out how to view it!! :(

gchem_geo_gda94.ID
gchem_geo_gda94.MAP
gchem_geo_gda94.tab
gchem_geo_gda94.DAT

Latest posts