WA's "amateur goldrush"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday

Just arrived back yesterday in the murchison goldfields to catch up with a mate, he was saying there are plenty of people about and camped up everywhere he has gone to do some detecting, and the caravan park at Cue apparently has been very busy and booking in advance is advised, the other thing is that many of the places that were pending and we were able to access freely are tied up and are now live so 40'es are a must.

Just wanted to do a little bit of gold detecting but mainly interested in hitting some old town sites for coins and relics, I have been contemplating giving the prospecting away for awhile now and this trip might very well be the last one up this way for me, for some reason I have started to lose interest and have been finding it difficult to decide whether to come up or not, too many rules and regulations and much harder to get the gold than it was when I started out some thirty years ago, what we used to count in ounces back then per trip is now counted in grams.

cheers

stayyerAU

Stayyer-I reckon most of the gold in the Golden Triangle of Victoria was found between 1980 and 1985. I generally found half once pieces on public land and 2 to 3 ounce pieces on private land. Even then it was hard to find anything as the detectors could not cope with the high mineralisation and the deepest finds I had were around 6 inches.
These days my tired old body has slowed down a lot and I detect with a wooden walking stick.

Latest posts