Detech 18" Concentric Coil

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was tossing up between getting a bigger DD coil or trying the Detech 18" concentric.
The concentric coil has had me intrigued for a while now & looks to have some good qualities +"versatility in mono or DD mode so in the end I took the plunge.
1596625913_15966258758980.jpg

Can't wait to try it out & have a few places I'm hoping it will do great in.
Looks good - very lightweight but also well built. Kinda looks small for an 18" coil without the solid skid plate on it.

Thanks Nenad - 1st class sales & delivery as always :Y:

Make sure you mount it on a long lower shaft.... mine can see my pick on my harness.
I got mine from Stinky and he mentioned he may investigate sourcing a flat skid plate. I find the contoured bottom of the OE skid tends to catch up on sticks, etc.
I dont suppose youre newer one has a flat bottom skid plate ?

I got one for my last trip to VIC from Nenad (Still isolated back in SA) Only got a couple of chances to try it before hightailing it back home 10 days ago. First impressions, very quiet running it in DD - Normal. I found it a little unstable in Special Fine Gold when in mono, but the ground was noisy. Dropping Rx a little helps. In enhance/mono it was very stable.

I agree with the skid plate - I tried it with the open plate and yes twigs can get caught. I also tried the closed skid plate, but found the uneven surface trapped and "knocked" worse than the open one causing false signals. So, a flat skid would be the go.

I'm thinking the easiest solution is to get a sheet of ABS, cut to suit and glued under the closed skid plate. But would also look at what weight it adds. However given the coil is lighter than comparable 18" coils by 0.5kg, I don't think it would be heavier than them.

Looks like it will be next year before another GT trip, so I'll try to get out to Mt Crawford. (Maybe Nenad will invite me to join him, hint, hint. :) )

Got mine rigged up on a longer Coiltek lower shaft.
Gave it a run for a couple of hours today. Agree that the "closed" skid plate does snag in rocky areas a bit or on sticks. Condor I was thinking while out today about getting a sheet & closing it in fully. Might even get inventive & try to just form some bits to fill the holes? I doubt it would add any noticeable weight - it's so light now.
It wasn't a huge deal but it would glide much better fully closed in.
Other than that (& apart from no gold today) it ran great. Stayed in DD mode & normal most of the day
Tried mono on a faint target & preferred the signal in DD (ended up being a small boot tack) - will play around with that some more yet.
Found an area of wet clay where I got some ground signals in normal/DD so tried Sensitive Extra & Enhance both in DD & they seemed to be no better. Dropped the gain down a couple of notches & normal/DD still seemed to be the best option. Didn't try mono & no doubt lots of trial + error to go yet but it's good to have a lot of options using it.
Had a bit of EMI with the NF Evo but it was pretty much non existent with the Concentric on. Even had a plane go over & didn't get any noise from it at all - that's not like the GPX :lol:
All up very happy with it, can't wait to get onto some more suited areas.

Thanks for your test results fellas. I'm sure it will get a lot of us interested. I still have to try my big detech DD. I only have one vertebra spare for flexibility the rest are titanium. BUT i'm going to go to Warwick staying at the Glendon Cara Pk. before the end of this year.---tic tic 6yrs now.
I think my l'il Sadie and the big detech should do well. :)

Thats what I have done with mine Condor... spot glued a sheet of ABS to the bottom of the closed skid and then taped around outer edge.... seems to do the trick. It is noticeably heavier though than just the open skid, which would be ok in open terrain.
If Detech come up with a flat skid, Id grab one in a flash.
1596703032_6291c0db-7154-43cd-bf75-af31423d12fc.jpg

Jaros said:
Thanks for your test results fellas. I'm sure it will get a lot of us interested. I still have to try my big detech DD. I only have one vertebra spare for flexibility the rest are titanium. BUT i'm going to go to Warwick staying at the Glendon Cara Pk. before the end of this year.---tic tic 6yrs now.
I think my l'il Sadie and the big detech should do well. :)

Jeez Jaros, you're a detectorist's walking nightmare, lol. Extra long shaft for you eh. :)

I'm thinking how to flatten the skid plate, in another working life I got into the design of vacuum formed ABS product and tooling, but not sure it's a backyard ability.

As I'm probably never going to use the solid skid plate as is, I'm thinking to cut out the solid parts, leaving the coil wrap around and glue a flat piece underneath. With a similar thickness ABS the wight will be only a few grams heavier.

mbasko said:
Was tossing up between getting a bigger DD coil or trying the Detech 18" concentric.
The concentric coil has had me intrigued for a while now & looks to have some good qualities +"versatility in mono or DD mode so in the end I took the plunge.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4485/1596625913_15966258758980.jpg
Looks good - very lightweight but also well built. Kinda looks small for an 18" coil without the solid skid plate on it.

Hi mbasko

So whats the black bit on the coil is that the skid plate??.
Cheers

PhaseTech said:
Pete's video going across some targets on a test patch, posted in another thread, but some may not have seen it:

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oAzudV_olE[/video]

Hi Nenad
So in the video it looks like the targets are getting picked up from the inner circle of the coil is this the case ? As it seem odd buying a 18 that really is only useful as a 8 .

When in DD on the coil switch, the coil operates as a Concentric, so yes you get very sharp detection more like a small mono. But you get more punch compared to an 8" mono, and handles bad ground better. But when you switch to Mono, it behaves more closely to an 18" mono. So this switching ability is what makes it unique.

dirtdiggin said:
mbasko said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4485/1596625913_15966258758980.jpg

Hi mbasko

So whats the black bit on the coil is that the skid plate??.
Cheers
Yep that's with the closed skid plate fitted.

PhaseTech said:
When in DD on the coil switch, the coil operates as a Concentric, so yes you get very sharp detection more like a small mono. But you get more punch compared to an 8" mono, and handles bad ground better. But when you switch to Mono, it behaves more closely to an 18" mono. So this switching ability is what makes it unique.

Whats the deepest gold you found with it nenad

Ian

I've hardly used one, so no gold yet. Basically haven't had access to one. Sounds strange I know, being a Detech agent, but stock has been thin on the ground.
My first demo coil was snapped up as I couldn't get any new ones at the time. The last 2 that came in sold within a few days.

Would like to do some more work with one, as they are very light, and nice and stable.

PhaseTech said:
I've hardly used one, so no gold yet. Basically haven't had access to one. Sounds strange I know, being a Detech agent, but stock has been thin on the ground.
My first demo coil was snapped up as I couldn't get any new ones at the time. The last 2 that came in sold within a few days.

Would like to do some more work with one, as they are very light, and nice and stable.

Ask me nicely and I might meet up with you Nenad. :) On a cooler day, when we have one lol....

G'day

Has anyone used one of these concentric coils over here in WA?, I only use mono coils but would like something different to go over some old areas, and one spot in particular that produced some decent nuggets, all were very vague responses even though it turned out they were not deep, still have the feeling that more are hiding there.

Also possibly if someone has the camo version 18" round that they would like to sell?

cheers

stayyerAU

G'day

Anyone have some experience with running a concentric coil on a minelab sd, more particularly the sd2000, and how did you go with it?, I have an issue with the way one performs on my sd2000, and I am trying to get some idea if its the coil not suitable for the sd or is there a problem with the detector?

cheers

stayyerAU