QED pl2 help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi every one , I really am hoping someone can point me in the right direction on setting up my qed in mineralised ground ..

I was out last weekend and came upon a
Spot were were the was exposed reef , looks good i thought ? so went through the set up process , the coil I had on was a Nf Sadie coil settings were mode 1 , ths b neutral and lowered till I can pick up my test bit , ths a 20 , gb 180. To be honest this is my third run with it and compared to my old Ml 2100 I am getting a little frustrated Constantly gb , lots of ground noise , Performing factory resets and go through set up again . I dont know what to do , iam thinking I should use a higher noisier ths ? . Please if anyone knows
How I should run this machine and detect with out constantly adjusting settings .

Mick, you shouldnt have to be constantly adjusting it. The QED is a very easy machine to operate once you know it.

You didnt mention your gain. Idd start with a higher mode then bring it back in mode and gain till you find it a tad noisy then go back up one or two on you gain.

Make sure you have the ground balance correct. Dont pump it like the Minelab. Slowly. Down, dont touch the ground, up, only to about 150mm/6. Dont hold down either the up or down button while raising or lowering. It should be quiet up and down when you have found the right GB.

The sadie being a small coil youd want to run your THS-B 1-2 under null depending on where your THS-A is at. A factory setting is 50 from memory. I havent run a Sadie so cant say for sure but id be running my B at about 2 under (dont forget your null may not equal the factory setting) and A around 50-60.

Recheck your ground balance when you change any settings.

Mick, hang in there. It can be frustrating to start with especially if you are used to a Minelab. These make sense when you get what is going on. Read, read and reread the manual. Watch every video related to each section. You can read a section then its huh! Watch the related vid and it can be oh ok!

These are a really easy detector to operate once you know whats going on.

Im relatively new to these, but if ive got it a little wrong im sure Reg Wilson will chime in.

Also if you are on Facebook. Ask heaps in there mate.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2879566565451218

No, Aussiedigs, you've got it pretty right. Mode 1 is the most sensitive mode setting but may be too sensitive for the area in which you are operating. Don't be afraid to increase your mode up to as much as 8 if the ground is nasty. Once you have a mode that is stable, bring your gain up until it becomes noisy then back it off until it is usable. I understand how it can be frustrating at the start, but after a while it becomes second nature.
What you need to understand is that there are areas that can be a nightmare to any detector, and a perfect ground balance may not be achievable. This applies to any detector, and as such you may just have to be content with a GB that is as close as you can get it. Mind you, just a few meters away the GB may be fine.
The DSM GB system is quite forgiving once you get the hang of it, but there is no substitute for experience, and that only comes with practice. Take a deep breath, and hang in there.

Hi Mick.

Personally I would leave your THS B at Null - whatever that is for your unit. Mine is 46 but yours might be different. I feel leaving it at Null makes finding your GB easier.

With the Sadie (and my other 2 coils) I run THS A at 50.

Mode 1 usually but do go higher if GB wont settle.

You should be able to run a Gain of 5 or 6 and even up to 10 sometimes. If you cant get past a Gain of 1 or 2 without it going haywire you have an issue.

Do you have any other coils? How do they behave?

As long as your unit and coil are in good working order they are pretty easy to operate with a little practice.

Roughly whereabouts are you located?

Has it been updated (PL3)? If it has been updated ground balance will go to 300 if not 200.

That could change some things in regards to set up & behaviour.

The latest update has also changed the pulse delay of the modes so mode 1 in an updated PL2 (PL3) is more like mode 2>3 pre update.

My QED was PL2 but not updated to Aug 2019 spec, mode 3 was the lowest I could use with any coil in the majority of conditions. I found modes 1 & 2 were very difficult to use in mineralised, variable ground.
Updated PL2 (PL3) have seen people able to run in mode 1 due to the pulse delay changes.

Wow thank you all for replying to my post I really do appreciate it , guys if iam raising my mode am I then diminishing my chances of small gold ? I found with my ths b screaming I could hear a break in ths over a target is this a plausible way to detect do U think ? . I have the latest update guys and am located in the Geelong area , thank you all so much it has given me more
Hope .

Mick

Mick73 said:
Wow thank you all for replying to my post I really do appreciate it , guys if iam raising my mode am I then diminishing my chances of small gold ? I found with my ths b screaming I could hear a break in ths over a target is this a plausible way to detect do U think ? . I have the latest update guys and am located in the Geelong area , thank you all so much it has given me more
Hope .

Mick

I guess my short answer to that is no (sorry :) ). Your threshold should be a nice, even, steady 'line of noise' - if that makes sense. And you are looking for a deviation of that line.

Does increasing mode = decreasing ability to detect small targets. Yes. The faster the pulse the better it is at picking up the small gold. As you go up in Mode the pulse rate decreases so you will miss the tiny bits. But, it is better to be in Mode 6 and still able to Ground Balance and be amongst it than trying to persist with Mode 1 if it is as noisy as hell, frustrating the crap out of you and making the unit unusable. In my opinion anyway ;)

Geelong area. Reg is at Maldon (a QED dealer) and I am not sure where Brian is (another dealer). They both provide lessons but I don't think either are seeing clients at present due to Covid. I am up near Wangaratta. If you are up this way shoot me a P.M and I'd be happy to spend some time with you if it fits my work schedule :Y:

Cheers, NE.

Ok thanks northeast , I will give you a yell if iam up your way , you have given me a lot to work on cheers mate .

Think of the modes like the gearbox in a car (with the numbers in reverse), yes top gear might be the fastest but you dont want to be doing hill starts in 6th gear.
If the ground is tame like a flat open road you dont want to be in first gear (high mode #).
You drive the car to suit the road, you tune the detector to suit the ground.

Ok thank you Jarrod84 , understand what you guys are all saying , i guess I wasnt being completely fair to the machine as I was fixated on tuneing it to what I wanted to find rather then the ground it could work in . Thanks guys

Mick73

1596455265_d6549f63-bb69-40d4-b3b5-72809aa31a2e.jpg

Went out today armed with all the advice you guys have given me , no gold but I was happy finding small bits of lead in an area I know a sdc has worked Hard . Thank you

Latest posts