Drone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GP

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Does anyone use a drone for checking out areas and if so what type would you recomend.
TIA
GP

I have used a drone for holiday pics, but being new to prospecting & in lockdown, have not used the drone for that purpose.

Mine is an MJX Bugs 3. Decent battery life & extra batteries are cheap. Most others like DJI Mavic as they give extraordinary video, but all depends on just how much you want to spend.

Make sure you read up on Drone laws & a handy app is Can I Fly There?

fwdoz said:
I have used a drone for holiday pics, but being new to prospecting & in lockdown, have not used the drone for that purpose.

Mine is an MJX Bugs 3. Decent battery life & extra batteries are cheap. Most others like DJI Mavic as they give extraordinary video, but all depends on just how much you want to spend.

Very good info bud.
CIFT is gone now, and you need to look at Casa and find a newer app.
I like this web based one....
https://ok2fly.com.au/?lat=-16.610418948691233&lon=145.56163975716362&map=street&zoom=11

Simmo said:
fwdoz said:

Very good info bud.
CIFT is gone now, and you need to look at Casa and find a newer app.
I like this web based one....
https://ok2fly.com.au/?lat=-16.610418948691233&lon=145.56163975716362&map=street&zoom=11

Shows how overdue I am for a holiday & get the drone up. The CASA website says they will have 3rd party apps recommendations soon

THUMBS DOWN. Was around in our backyard in Talbot and heard a strange bees or bird like sound and it turned out to be a drone hovering for some time looking in the front of the house (((just before dark))), when sighted it took off.Another report similar near Scotts rd Amherst, occupants were worried also.Rang police they said the crims around here couldn't afford such and not interested and suggested to find any laws to go on the internet.Mentioned stolen boat up the road may have been a result of drones surveillance and they laughed.Powercor tree trimmers here the other day said they never use drones. :N:

re (Still think best way to check out ground is on foot)

Agree, But its time consuming, 70Km North East Of Lennister in WA, walked up a long sloping hill to check the ground on the other side, Not Good, maybe a 1+ hour effort at mid day in the heat, thought about the benefit of a Drone then.

Handy bit of kit for scouting ground depending upon how open it is. I will say you get what you pay for though. If it's thick bushland it gets a bit tricky to see the ground.

Hey GP,

Drones are invaluable when looking at detailed landscapes for fesatures you wouold typically miss when on foot. I have been using one for the last couple of years and have flown a number of mining leases for large mining companies to produce both orthophoto images and 3D cloud point images. If you are interested in the type of imagery you can acheive I have a good web page on drone use [https://www.tryhardprospecting.com.au/drone-mapping/] for the prospector, You will also find a couple of demos on my site showing both a 2D/3D of a large pit I flews in WA. I will regulary take my drone to a spot in the GT and fly an area thne take all the photos home and add them
to my GIS application for further research. If you can get hold of a drone I would highly recommend the DJI phantom 4 pro v2.

Some sample images below:

THe 2 images show a comparisson between google earth and the drone image of a patch I was working in WA>
1596353270_earth_sample.jpg

1596353270_drone_sample.jpg

I have a Mavic mini. Its around $800 for the kit with 3 batteries. Its great for scoping out an area you cant easily get to or if you want to see above the tree line from your location. Unfortunately it wont tell you where the gold is but its a whole load of fun to fly ;)

Latest posts