Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a little more.

1596243963_gpx-6000.jpg

Thanks for sharing bud.

I wonder how much to read into the gpx prefix, given the obvious name change in the gpz 7000.

Can only speculate at the changes, hopefully its not just cosmetic (lighter, better battery, wireless standard etc) but includes some significant point of difference given the suggested price tag.

I don't know that anybody has been asking for them, but "Metal detectors for use in conjunction with software" and "Metal detectors with mapping and/or global positioning system functionalities", both indicate new features for a GPX-series detector:

1596248505_gpx6000.jpg

Having a guess here but thinking gpx6000 and any future gpx series may be always pi incarnations, with the 6000 having similar performance to 5000 with gps and upgradable software and maybee some cosmetic changes of some type. I dont think a gpx detector will ever use zvt. (More gold detectors than this and geosense are supposed to be coming this financial year).
Later in the year i reckon it will be either a gpz (6500?) Similar to gpz7000 minus the gps and possibly a bit lighter for about 9k or a gpz(8000?) With more grunt than a gpz7000 for around 12k..
All the above is completely just speculating but interesting to consider with an extra piece of the puzzle given

OldGT said:
Thanks for sharing bud.

I wonder how much to read into the gpx prefix, given the obvious name change in the gpz 7000.

Can only speculate at the changes, hopefully its not just cosmetic (lighter, better battery, wireless standard etc) but includes some significant point of difference given the suggested price tag.

Agee with u there. It should have performance improvements with that sort of extra markup on the 5000

I expect the 6000 will have a one-piece, styled plastic casing like the GPZ and CTX, as the GPX-series tin box is too easily counterfeited. The 6000 will likely also have a large display screen above the handgrip, like the other recent machines.

Personally I'd love to see a GPZ7000 without the GPS and 1 kilo lighter for $8k and I'm in.
I've been on the verge of upgrading to the 7000 and almost took the plunge last week but it's that extra kilo in weight over my 4500 that keeps holding me back, my 4500 with 15" evo is about as heavy as I can handle. As soon as lockdown is over I need to go hire a 7000 for a weekend, be really interesting to see what this new GPX6000 is though.

ProspectorPete said:
Personally I'd love to see a GPZ7000 without the GPS and 1 kilo lighter for $8k and I'm in.
I've been on the verge of upgrading to the 7000 and almost took the plunge last week but it's that extra kilo in weight over my 4500 that keeps holding me back, my 4500 with 15" evo is about as heavy as I can handle. As soon as lockdown is over I need to go hire a 7000 for a weekend, be really interesting to see what this new GPX6000 is though.

That would be the type of machine that would interest me the most also. Thinking more it will be a post gpx6000 possibility. Keeping gpx series all pulse induction seems more logical

grubstake said:
I expect the 6000 will have a one-piece, styled plastic casing like the GPZ and CTX, as the GPX-series tin box is too easily counterfeited. The 6000 will likely also have a large display screen above the handgrip, like the other recent machines.

I think that will be correct also. If it runs gps it will need a screen in a easy to see place. Adding a screen to the current gpx style would just look sloppy. So a new plastic casing makes sense for sure

hippyhunter said:
grubstake said:

I think that will be correct also. If it runs gps it will need a screen in a easy to see place. Adding a screen to the current gpx style would just look sloppy. So a new plastic casing makes sense for sure

Thinking you guys are both on the money here...

And a gpz battery might slide straight in? Certainly bring the cost of production down in both the battery and housing....

davent said:
If the cost of production goes down, then why would you pay $2k for a more ergo but cheaper to produce machine that has a gps?
I would want more than a new wireless model with gps for 8k, I reckon Howard could add a gps to a QED and the cost would blow out by about $600 with a simple GPS.
Way less than $8k.

I think performance improvement will be a given. Has been minelabs trend with the series so far so should continue would assume. Especially when it jumps model number by a whole 1,000 (never done before in minelab history as far as i know).
Edit: minelab would be wanting buyers of the gpx6000 to be gpx5000 users and below as well as new buyers. so to do that the detector would have to perform better than a 5000 i guess. To not perform better than a 5000 limits the market of potential sales making it not so much worth releasing at all.
But yes, for an extra 2 grand it should have improved performance

davent said:
We could guess all night what it might be, hope its great, hope minelab release some real info soon, September release date apparently.

They started advertising campaign for the vanquish a month or so from memory. Hopefully same with the gpx 6000
Or alternatively they wont bother and it will just be for sale at miners den one day. Haha.
Hopefully we get some teaser advertising :D

OldGT said:
hippyhunter said:
grubstake said:

Thinking you guys are both on the money here...

And a gpz battery might slide straight in? Certainly bring the cost of production down in both the battery and housing....

That would actually be a great improvement so long as it balanced well and not too heavy. Not a fan of the whole seperated battery thing at all

With you on the gps booney. Seems gimmicky and un necessary. If we need gps coordinates is not hard or expensive to buy a dedicated handheld gps that would likely do a much better job than a minelab brand gps added onto a detector. Just stick to what you do best i teckon. Adding that rubbish just adds cost and weight for bugger all benefit