QED's Mode Pulse Delay

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I believe there has been some confusion in regard to Brian's (QED Dealer) spreadsheet of the QED s Mode Pulse Delay figures.

He said in his Spreadsheet that Mode (Pre-Upgrade) Mode 1 the Delay was 7uS however from my research including posts by BW on the AGEP forum there was never any mention of Mode 1 being as low as 7uS.

Therefore, in January 2017 Mode 1 was 8uS with each Mode increasing by 0.4uS up to Mode 8 at 10.8uS

Then in July 2017 each Mode increased by 0.66uS up to Mode 15 at 17.24uS and not 16.24uS that Brian mentions.

I was told in May 2018 Mode 1 was reduced from 8uS to 7.5uS each Mode increasing by 0.25uS up to Mode 15 at 11uS.

Finally, in the latest update Mode 1 was increased back to 8uS with each Mode increasing by 0.5uS up to Mode 10 at 12.5uS as Brian says in his spreadsheet figures for Mode (Post-Upgrade).

I have not mention Beach Mode as apparently it has been set at 7.5uS.

Yes mbasko there does appear to be a lot of Pulse Delay changes.

From my observation there were 3 major changes for each Mode being increased, that is, two in 2017 of 0.4uS and 0.66uS and in 2019 each Mode increasing by 0.5uS .

However as I said in May 2018 I was told, that then by BW, that Mode 1 was 7.5uS and after asking in regards to Beach Mode then was told it is the same as Mode 1 and therefore 7.5uS.

I am interested in you finding your confirmation of Mode 1 being at 7uS and what each Mode increased by up to Mode 15?

Goldman (Australian Electronic Gold Prospecting Forum Title: Re: August 2019 QED Upgrade on Friday October 25 2019 19:56:17 AEDT PM) said:
Bear in mind that the new mode 1 is equivalent to the old mode 2/3 as the new mode 1 now starts a full micro second later at 8us instead of 7us.

Cheers Goldman
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...e/?action=printpage+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au
Goldman (Brian) & BW (Howard) I believe are both moderators on that forum so if the info was incorrect then you would think Howard would intervene & correct it?

This chart was put up by Phrunt on Detector Prospector forum (Brians?):
1596069864_218249118_delayfigures.jpg.0856db2be0a11e1db3e29014cc948041.jpg

Phrunt said:
The QED has a pulse delay of 7uS in Mode 1 on the older firmware which was changed to 8 on the newer firmware for those that wanted to update to it, I guess to help with stability but many in hot soils can't run Mode 1, as you go up in the modes the pulse delay goes up in increments up to Mode 10 or mode 15 on the older firmware.

1391785390_delayfigures.thumb.png.6aeaedc9b59b1af7c4709a00428618c3.png

I really look forward to seeing what the Land version of the AQ can do and it's specifications as if it's starting at 7uS it's likely going to be a good detector for my mild soils.

The chart they've done there is wrong as it doesn't mention Mode 11 on the new firmware, Mode 11 is the beach mode which is 7.5uS as confirmed by Howard. I have the new firmware on mine but I can get away with using beach mode for prospecting. Beach mode is really just ground balance disabled.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...rt-pulse-delay/?do=findComment&comment=126048

I can't find the info I received now - think it was possibly a PM from a former member here & close friend of Howard ;) - that confirmed 7us & 0.66us increments as per the chart above (I had thought originally the increments were less than 0.5us?)
The only way to get 100% clarification would be to contact Howard to confirm himself?

mbasko said:
(I had thought originally the increments were less than 0.5us?)

The only way to get 100% clarification would be to contact Howard to confirm himself?

Yes I agree in regards to less than 0.5uS and why I was told increments of 0.25uS.

I have asked BW himself previously and he said he could not remember.