Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gets complicated ,but it`all to do with the miners being hassled by police and the authorities over licences and land claims and there was a lot of tension in Ballarat at that time. The Bentley`s hotel got burnt down as few weeks before that in protest over the acquittal of the publican over the alleged murder of James Scobie . There were about 10,000 miners there. If you ever get the chance , drop into the Eureka Centre in Ballarat if you are down that way.

Thanks, Doug .
OK. An easy one.
What pub is named after one of the main players in the Eureka rebellion ? I want the original name of the pub and the subsequent names it has had including what it is called today .

Peter Lalor Hotel, Royal Highlander Hotel and The Pub with Two Names PWTN (although that makes three so far as I can see). Ballarat.

Gee you are quick.

Correct Goldierocks .

It is kind of ironic that they give it a third name that says it is the pub with two names.

Now we might get a real question !!!!! Over to you.

Thanks.

FOZ

StoneTheCrows said:
Try and resurrect the topc

St Kilda

So sorry. Since stack here in Victoria and cant get back to Manila. Took a courier job taking all the virus samples to Melbourne. Been busy Thats life

Who Am I

I was born on the 8th of September 1900 in London.

At 16, I married an Australian Serviceman.

I followed my husband to Australia in 1920.

I was a brothel madam and organised crime entrepreneur in Australia.

I was quite wealthy though I had earned it from committing crime.

My husband was an alcoholic.

My marriage was marred by domestic violence.

I got married for a second time on the 19th of May 1945 to an ex-seaman.

I shot my husband in the leg after an argument.

NEXT CLUE UP AT 19:30 EST

Tathradj said:
Tilly Devine. :100:
You got it mate :D :D

A number of murders were committed at my residence.

I was charged a fine of more than 20,000 in unpaid income tax.

This made me close to bankrupt.

In 1953, I said in the media, "I am a lucky, lucky girl, I have more diamonds than the Queen of Englands stowaways-and better ones too!"

I sold off my last brothel in Palmer Street, Darlinghurst in 1968.

I died in 1970 of Cancer.

I am famous for flamboyant acts of generosity, and also my violent feud with criminal vice rival Kate Leigh.

I am known as a Sydney crime syndicate gangs member figure.

I was born Matilda Mary Twiss.

My first name begins with T.

My second name starts with D.

Who am I?

Tilly Devine

Latest posts