Detech Coil information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Panhandle Pete said:
anyone have suggestion for best settings for Detech 15" Super Deep Mono on a GPX 4500/5000 in GT Vic

I show the settings I'm running at the end of the video in Post 132 above. This was on a 4500 in Vic, typical noisy/mixed diggings.

My latest video I just posted today also has a bit of this coil in action.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/psoXRBYJm0Q[/video]

Good coil. A little deeper than the stock 11", and being a traditional bundle wound coil they run very smooth.
You may even be able to run Normal timing in some areas, which will give you very good depth on gram + bits.

If you are getting too many false signals, go to Enhance and you should be able to get your Rx Gain up pretty high.

sorry not sure if these are in the new range but is the 11 x 6" Monoloop Elliptical Coil a decent coil?
i cannot seem to find any reviews or videos with them are they very sensitive to the tiny bits? been tossing up whether to get one of these or the NF8x6 Sadie coil.

I've often wondered about that coil as well, but personally have never used one. Most would go for the 8" round, as that is a well proven coil. The curved bottom edge of the 8" round is what makes it so good as a scrubby terrain coil, also being a round you get a uniform field so you can swing it in any direction. I'd say the 11x6" being a traditional bundle wound coil would be great on the earlier machines like the SD or GP series, and for use somewhere you want good sensitivity but want to cover some ground as well, like say Tibooburra. The most common size for a small elliptical was the 10x5", and then Nugget Finder came out with something different in a 12x7" advantage. I guess Detech split the sizing in half and went 11x6". Would love to give one a run on my 3500.....reckon it'd be a good combo.

PhaseTech said:
I've often wondered about that coil as well, but personally have never used one. Most would go for the 8" round, as that is a well proven coil. The curved bottom edge of the 8" round is what makes it so good as a scrubby terrain coil, also being a round you get a uniform field so you can swing it in any direction. I'd say the 11x6" being a traditional bundle wound coil would be great on the earlier machines like the SD or GP series, and for use somewhere you want good sensitivity but want to cover some ground as well, like say Tibooburra. The most common size for a small elliptical was the 10x5", and then Nugget Finder came out with something different in a 12x7" advantage. I guess Detech split the sizing in half and went 11x6". Would love to give one a run on my 3500.....reckon it'd be a good combo.

i took a punt and picked up a secondhand one going to give it a run on the QED and see how it performs.

Ran it on the QED was the best i have had it run with good depth and sensitivity looking forward to getting out and trying again also starting to learn the Gold Kruzer i got from your store pretty happy with it also .

mbasko said:
The standard Detechs would be better compared to Nugget Finder Advantage coils.
Detech do make Evo competitive mono coils (Detech Ultra Sensing) but 15" is the largest they make them as yet.
Detech do offer an 18" Concentric coil that from reports so far is competitive with the Evo 19" both in performance & weight. One positive of the 18" concentric appears to be better EMI & ground handling abilities over the Evo?

I have compared in detail a number of Detech coils to Nugget Finder and found none of them to be truly competitive. The explanation is simple. NF coils are build with a superior quality cables that happen to be very important to the performance of the GPX machines.

As far as the Detech 18"CC is concern it can never be a competition to NF 19" Mono or any other Mono down to 18" sizes simply, because the GPX in its design limits the depth when there is a receiving loop in the coil system. The reason is the added parasitic capacitance of the receiving loop and the connecting cable.
The concentric will always be better in ground handling and EMI, but not in depth unless the CC design includes the option of electrically removing and compensating the RX so the CC can work as pure Mono coil, which is not a feature of Detech coils.

Candigger said:
mbasko said:
The standard Detechs would be better compared to Nugget Finder Advantage coils.
Detech do make Evo competitive mono coils (Detech Ultra Sensing) but 15" is the largest they make them as yet.
Detech do offer an 18" Concentric coil that from reports so far is competitive with the Evo 19" both in performance & weight. One positive of the 18" concentric appears to be better EMI & ground handling abilities over the Evo?

I have compared in detail a number of Detech coils to Nugget Finder and found none of them to be truly competitive. The explanation is simple. NF coils are build with a superior quality cables that happen to be very important to the performance of the GPX machines.

As far as the Detech 18"CC is concern it can never be a competition to NF 19" Mono or any other Mono down to 18" sizes simply, because the GPX in its design limits the depth when there is a receiving loop in the coil system. The reason is the added parasitic capacitance of the receiving loop and the connecting cable.
The concentric will always be better in ground handling and EMI, but not in depth unless the CC design includes the option of electrically removing and compensating the RX so the CC can work as pure Mono coil, which is not a feature of Detech coils.
Nugget Finder may indeed use superior quality cables etc. but in my experience Detech coils still perform very well with the GPX & QED in our conditions here & I've found in situ gold with them (not by testing on pre established test sites etc.). They are also cheaper.
I also very much like my Nugget Finder coils, have had success with them on in situ gold & appreciate the performance + quality of them.

The 18" Detech CC on my GPX punches deep & maintains very good sensitivity even in DD mode using Normal. It's main attraction to me is the better EMI & ground handling - it goes plenty deep enough + others that like to do testing have made comment that it is indeed comparable to the Evo 19" (keeping in mind you would not be able to use Normal or Sensitive Extra with Evo coils under the majority of Australian conditions) so I'll take their word on it.
Not sure how the Detech 18" CC isn't working as a mono in mono mode?

Just a little update on Detech coils.
Stock has been very slow to come through, as normal shipping has not been possible.
Small batches of stock that has come through have been snapped up. 8" Mono & DD's are now out of stock.
A couple of 15" DD ultimates came in but were already pre-sold.

I just got in 1 x 15x10" Mono, and 2 x 18" Concentrics, and have 1 x 15" Super Deep mono.
Also have a 14" Ultra Sensing Mono that has a small bump in the plastic - just cosmetic, so a reduced price on that.

Recently gave a 12.5" round mono a run on the 4500. The ground has been so wet here, giving a few too many false signals on the spiral/flat wound coils.
The 12.5" which is a traditional bundle wound coil ran great on a normally difficult patch of ground. So stable, and found about 15 targets in an area of some recent forestry workings. No gold unfortunately, but plenty of small targets at depth to tell me it is capable. I did a couple of comparisons vs an 11" Ultra sensing. The 11" Ultra was superior on a 0.1g nugget, but on a 1.3g bit, the 12.5" came out on top. The 12.5" could still detect the 0.1g bit, but not with the sharpness of the 11" Ultra.

1602071041_detech_12_mono.jpg

Also was a nice reminder of how easy it is to pin-point with a bundle wound mono. Actually really enjoyed that short session. Be interesting to see how it goes in some quieter ground areas when the ground dries out in Summer. Without doing any side by sides, the performance feels very similar to the 15x10" Detech mono, but it's a round/closed coil for those who don't like the open web coils. At just over 900g, the 12.5" is noticeably lighter than the 14" Ultra.

Just wondering if anyone's using one of these SEF coils. Not a lot of user info out there.

I have a GP3000 and need a DD around 14 or 15 inches. Don't want to go for the older usual DD's like Coiltek. Hoping there's another choice to help the GP come alive a bit more.
I'm aware of the 15 Ultimate Spiral and just missed out on a few used examples. I'm kinda interested in the SEF coils too and wonder how good they'd be other than the open design getting caught up on terrain. On the positive side it's lighter than the Ultimate Spiral. Would this offer similar sensitivity and depth ?

s-l1600.jpg

Hi mate, I've used both and the basic differences are:

SEF runs quieter in really mineralised ground
SEF is lighter
The Ultimate is a lot more sensitive
Depth on larger gold is about the same if they can run on similar settings.

Hi mate, I've used both and the basic differences are:

SEF runs quieter in really mineralised ground
SEF is lighter
The Ultimate is a lot more sensitive
Depth on larger gold is about the same if they can run on similar settings.

Thanks for that info. I guess since it'd be difficult to find a used SEF then having to buy new the Ultimate would be the better buy if it's a lot more sensitive.

I'll still keep my eye's peeled for either one used at the right price until I can't hold out any longer for a new coil . Let me know if you've a used or demo coil your will to sell though haha. Thanks