QED detector settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi just got a qed have not used as yet
so any users out there with one hows it going?
and what setting numbers do u use
Any help will goodo
many thanks mond

qed pl2 settings. extremely variable and mineralised ground lots of magnetite and iron stone lots of hot rocks. 8 inch commander coil, mode 6 to 8, usually 8, bias 50, volume 70 to 80, gain 6. nice and stable 95% of the time only bit of tweaking. rpg headphones, using cheap chinese tx/rx unit, no problems what so ever. :goldnugget: :pickshovel: :Y: p.s make sure the tx or rx unit is not stuck to control box at all to avoid any interference. :perfect:

grumpygold said:
qed pl2 settings. extremely variable and mineralised ground lots of magnetite and iron stone lots of hot rocks. 8 inch commander coil, mode 6 to 8, usually 8, bias 50, volume 70 to 80, gain 6. nice and stable 95% of the time only bit of tweaking. rpg headphones, using cheap chinese tx/rx unit, no problems what so ever. :goldnugget: :pickshovel: :Y: p.s make sure the tx or rx unit is not stuck to control box at all to avoid any interference. :perfect:

Can anyone with knowledge verify mode and gain ? Seems to me a bit extreme

Thanks in advance

I have the sadie and 14 inch elite mono

I never heard of anyone running a QED like that (at least prior to the last updates) especially in "extremely variable & mineralised ground".
Might be what was making ol' grumpgold (& his other alter egos) so grumpy.

mbasko said:
I never heard of anyone running a QED like that (at least prior to the last updates) especially in "extremely variable & mineralised ground".

Apparantly some machines run those settings with GB cranked right up. (i Know mine won't!) ?? See recent dunolly find on fb page, gb 296 or something. As a newbie it just confused me, so I'm not going back on fb till after lockdown as it's frustrating not being able to turn the machine on, let alone compare settings.

DiggerDave68 said:
mbasko said:

Apparantly some machines run those settings with GB cranked right up. (i Know mine won't!) ?? See recent dunolly find on fb page, gb 296 or something. As a newbie it just confused me, so I'm not going back on fb till after lockdown as it's frustrating not being able to turn the machine on, let alone compare settings.
Once the lockdown is over you might benefit from a QED training day?
GB (ground balance) isn't a setting you crank up. It needs to be set &/or adjusted to suit the ground conditions of the area you're detecting. Some areas might balance ok at 296 others at 254 or 199 or 163 & so on. It's not something that you can "crank" up as such (it can be adjusted to be a bit "hot" but not advisable unless experienced IMO).
In some areas ground conditions can change pretty quickly so ground balance needs to be adjusted to suit the changes. Don't let the GB numbers confuse you - listen to the machine & adjust it to run as smoothly as possible over the prevailing ground conditions. From my experience different QED's can give different ground balance numbers on the same area so forget what others have theirs set to. Adjust yours to suit!
Prior to the latest update ground balance on the QED was 0-200 & updated QED's are now 0-300 giving wider ground balance adjustment.
For smooth operation I found running your Threshold B (bias) close to neutral was best - only slightly adjusted up (large targets) or down (small targets) for target bias. Neutral bias can differ on different QED's too so adjust bias to suit yours - don't use someone else's settings. For instance, depending on coil used, my neutral bias was anywhere between 48-52.
Mode is dependent on the coil being used. Generally speaking smaller coils (6 - 11") pre update seemed to work better at modes 3 to 5 & medium/large coils 4/5 up. The modes were also updated & I believe mode 1 is now closer to what mode 2-3 used to be. Lower modes are also better for small gold - higher modes larger gold.
Threshold A (volume) I found at high levels could make the QED a bit erratic for want of a better word. I found & have seen others agree that set at 30 to 50 seems to be good but it is probably something that is a personal preference.
Pre update, & in my experience + feedback from other users, it was very rare to hear anyone successfully running a gain as high as 6 in most cases. Usually I could only run gain at 3 or 4. I believe the new update has improved this too with improved GB allowing higher gain?

In short, pre updated QED as those settings were, running in "extremely variable & mineralised ground" with Threshold A 70-80 & gain of 6 with an 8" coil in mode 6 to 8 would have been erratic & counterproductive IMO. I doubt even with the new QED updates that those settings would be ideal in that ground type either.

mbasko said:
DiggerDave68 said:
mbasko said:

Once the lockdown is over you might benefit from a QED training day?
GB (ground balance) isn't a setting you crank up. It needs to be set &/or adjusted to suit the ground conditions of the area you're detecting. Some areas might balance ok at 296 others at 254 or 199 or 163 & so on. It's not something that you can "crank" up as such (it can be adjusted to be a bit "hot" but not advisable unless experienced IMO).
In some areas ground conditions can change pretty quickly so ground balance needs to be adjusted to suit the changes. Don't let the GB numbers confuse you - listen to the machine & adjust it to run as smoothly as possible over the prevailing ground conditions. From my experience different QED's can give different ground balance numbers on the same area so forget what others have theirs set to. Adjust yours to suit!
Prior to the latest update ground balance on the QED was 0-200 & updated QED's are now 0-300 giving wider ground balance adjustment.
For smooth operation I found running your Threshold B (bias) close to neutral was best - only slightly adjusted up (large targets) or down (small targets) for target bias. Neutral bias can differ on different QED's too so adjust bias to suit yours - don't use someone else's settings. For instance, depending on coil used, my neutral bias was anywhere between 48-52.
Mode is dependent on the coil being used. Generally speaking smaller coils (6 - 11") pre update seemed to work better at modes 3 to 5 & medium/large coils 4/5 up. The modes were also updated & I believe mode 1 is now closer to what mode 2-3 used to be. Lower modes are also better for small gold - higher modes larger gold.
Threshold A (volume) I found at high levels could make the QED a bit erratic for want of a better word. I found & have seen others agree that set at 30 to 50 seems to be good but it is probably something that is a personal preference.
Pre update, & in my experience + feedback from other users, it was very rare to hear anyone successfully running a gain as high as 6 in most cases. Usually I could only run gain at 3 or 4. I believe the new update has improved this too with improved GB allowing higher gain?

In short, pre updated QED as those settings were, running in "extremely variable & mineralised ground" with Threshold A 70-80 & gain of 6 with an 8" coil in mode 6 to 8 would have been erratic & counterproductive IMO. I doubt even with the new QED updates that those settings would be ideal in that ground type either.

AS an owner I am well aware of the qed settings, and as you pointed out pre updated QED's only had gb to 200 so to be running 296 gb is an updated machine and running cranked up imo as none of the instruction video's or instructors I spoke to said this was normal even in mineralised ground. I run 10" X'coil spiral and detech 14" and GB around ballarat bendigo etc can drop as low as 125 with X-coil both coils are happiest in mode1 or 2. Have spoken to brian and wasn't happy with the explanation so will be seeing reg after ;ockdown for a chat.I enjoy my qed don't get me wrong, as I said I was confused By the variety of settings and the explanation given and will look into it further after lockdown when I can run my machine, I just don't want to feel I've been wasting my time with or been given incorrect information or a machine that won't perform as designed. But thanks anyway.(ps To crank up is to adjust something towards the upper levels of adjustment) not sure if you knew)

I know what "crank" it up means. :/
There is absolutely no benefit in "cranking" up the ground balance to a ridiculous level.
The detector is either ground balanced or it is not. The numbers are irrelevant in that respect. As an example there is a chap from NZ who posts on Detector Prospector that can run mode 11 (Beach Mode) on their ground & in other modes can pretty much set the ground balance anywhere - the ground must be very benign where he is.
In some ground I did find the QED (once ground balanced to a point) could be very forgiving if adjusted above the ground balance point & this would likely be more apparent with the wider range? In most ground though you had to be fairly close to run stable & use the +/- manual adjustment to eliminate hot pockets, rocks etc.

You can slightly manually offset ground balance on any machine with manual adjustment which may give a better signal on some targets. Doing this will also likely give an improved response on hot rocks, hot pockets etc.

As said different QED's can give different numbers for things like neutral bias & ground balance. Don't get too focussed on other users numbers. Set yours for your ground, coil/mode, etc.

mbasko said:
I know what "crank" it up means. :/
There is absolutely no benefit in "cranking" up the ground balance to a ridiculous level.
The detector is either ground balanced or it is not. The numbers are irrelevant in that respect. As an example there is a chap from NZ who posts on Detector Prospector that can run mode 11 (Beach Mode) on their ground & in other modes can pretty much set the ground balance anywhere - the ground must be very benign where he is.
In some ground I did find the QED (once ground balanced to a point) could be very forgiving if adjusted above the ground balance point & this would likely be more apparent with the wider range? In most ground though you had to be fairly close to run stable & use the +/- manual adjustment to eliminate hot pockets, rocks etc.

You can slightly manually offset ground balance on any machine with manual adjustment which may give a better signal on some targets. Doing this will also likely give an improved response on hot rocks, hot pockets etc.

As said different QED's can give different numbers for things like neutral bias & ground balance. Don't get too focussed on other users numbers. Set yours for your ground, coil/mode, etc.

While a newbie to pi's and this forum, I am not to life, as previously mentioned have spoken to brian and will be contacting reg after covid. Do not need lessons on my qed as it isn't overly complicated getting it quiet. But as someone who likes to work on his own stuff and see how things worked, I am simply looking for information. Just as I would if tuning a car, the what was done isn't always enough, sometimes I can get a bit anal about the why because I can't get an explanation that clicks and makes sense, if the material is technichal and complicated (as pi detectors are). I'm happy to spend lockdown doing some tech research(because I know nothing it seems) and catch up with reg after with all my questions and if need be will try and contact brian or howard because I know they'll be happy to help.

Umm DiggerDave68,

Mbasko is one of the most helpful and well respected folk on this forum.

Look at the time he has taken and level of detail he has provided to try & help you.

If you wish to take offense at some aspect of his wording then thats your perogative but you are probably standing out there on your own with that view.

None of the members HAVE to contribute to a question & if you read some of mbaskos contributions to others he has sometimes been the only one to reply in a manner to directly help a poster.

Sorry if he was unable to help you.

XLOOX said:
Umm DiggerDave68,

Look at the time he has taken and level of detail he has provided to try & help you.

If you wish to take offense at some aspect of his wording then thats your perogative but you are probably standing out there on your own with that view.

None of the members HAVE to contribute to a question & if you read some of mbaskos contributions to others he has sometimes been the only one to reply in a manner to directly help a poster.

Pretty sure it was Mbasko who took offence to me using the words "cranked up" with regards to ground Balance. And I don't believe I said anything offensive, besides which Mbasko has not said anthing to indicate as such, and if that's the case is more than capable of speaking for himself. I am sorry if YOU found offence and would encourage you to speak to the person you claim to be defending before accusing others. But as you have, and I'm in lockdown (with nothing better to do) please enlighten me as to what I said that you feel has so offended Mbasko and I will address the issue, as you seem to feel it's fine to offend me with your baseless accusations.

DiggerDave68 said:
XLOOX said:
Umm DiggerDave68,

Pretty sure it was Mbasko who took offence to me using the words "cranked up" with regards to ground Balance. And I don't believe I said anything offensive, besides which Mbasko has not said anthing to indicate as such, and if that's the case is more than capable of speaking for himself. I am sorry if YOU found offence and would encourage you to speak to the person you claim to be defending before accusing others. But as you have, and I'm in lockdown (with nothing better to do) please enlighten me as to what I said that you feel has so offended Mbasko and I will address the issue, as you seem to feel it's fine to offend me with your baseless accusations.
Just pointing out you don't crank the ground balance setting up is all! You didn't offend me.
Your posts do however seem to indicate some confusion on your part with settings, other advice you've recieved etc. & also a level of sarcasm in your replies that some might be offended by? It may just be the written word conveying things badly?
My replies only sought to try & assist you as it appeared that you didn't understand ground balance/ground balancing well. I hadn't replied due to your replies that seemed sarcastic & didn't want to start a shit slinging match, no other reason, & think replying now probably isn't a good idea either? It seems nobody from QED sales, on Facebook or here can help you? Might be more about you than the advice?
Confused about these comments:
"Do not need lessons on my qed as it isn't overly complicated getting it quiet.
"sometimes I can get a bit anal about the why because I can't get an explanation that clicks and makes sense, if the material is technichal and complicated (as pi detectors are)."
Anyhow, enough from me on this & the QED, good luck with it all DD68 :Y:

mbasko said:
DiggerDave68 said:
XLOOX said:
Umm DiggerDave68,

Just pointing out you don't crank the ground balance setting up is all! You didn't offend me.
Your posts do however seem to indicate some confusion on your part with settings, other advice you've recieved etc. & also a level of sarcasm in your replies that some might be offended by? It may just be the written word conveying things badly?
My replies only sought to try & assist you as it appeared that you didn't understand ground balance/ground balancing well. I hadn't replied due to your replies that seemed sarcastic & didn't want to start a shite slinging match, no other reason, & think replying now probably isn't a good idea either? It seems nobody from QED sales, on Facebook or here can help you? Might be more about you than the advice?
Confused about these comments:
"Do not need lessons on my qed as it isn't overly complicated getting it quiet.
"sometimes I can get a bit anal about the why because I can't get an explanation that clicks and makes sense, if the material is technichal and complicated (as pi detectors are)."
Anyhow, enough from me on this & the QED, good luck with it all DD68 :Y:

As I tried to explain (and won't bother with this condescending site again) Setting up a QED isn't complicated. Understanding the effect that each adjustment has on the signal the detector sends is very Complicated. Not once did I say I was having problems with my ground balance, simply I found the settings OTHERS were using unusual and wasn't happy with explanation. But confused about the settings of others doesn't mean stupid , already spoken to the dealers and have access to the inventor and builder. Not sure how my commenting on another post gave you the signal I needed uncalled for advice. While your intentions were good, again uncalled for. Perhaps keep your advice for those that ask for it. Which I did not.

DiggerDave68 said:
As I tried to explain (and won't bother with this condescending site again) Setting up a QED isn't complicated. Understanding the effect that each adjustment has on the signal the detector sends is very Complicated.
News flash - understanding the effect each adjustment has is part of setting up your detector. It can't be both not complicated & then very complicated. After time most detectors are not overly complicated including the QED. These type of contradictory statements (which you've made a few of) are confusing & give an impression you're confused about how to set up your detector correctly. My apologies for trying to help you.
DiggerDave68 said:
Not once did I say I was having problems with my ground balance, simply I found the settings OTHERS were using unusual and wasn't happy with explanation. But confused about the settings of others doesn't mean stupid , already spoken to the dealers and have access to the inventor and builder.
And yet you still came to this forum & stated "Apparantly some machines run those settings with GB cranked right up. (i Know mine won't!)?? See recent dunolly find on fb page, gb 296 or something. As a newbie it just confused me"
Again my apologies for thinking that you had meant your QED won't run a cranked up ground balance setting & that you were a confused newbie looking for help on this helpful forum. I can now see my error - your not a confused newbie, you're a high strung QED owner who doesn't like advice on any level because your too smart to be told anything by anybody.
DiggerDave68 said:
Not sure how my commenting on another post gave you the signal I needed uncalled for advice. While your intentions were good, again uncalled for. Perhaps keep your advice for those that ask for it. Which I did not.
Well it was my post you commented on. It read like you didn't understand the context that it was written to & also a call from a confused newbie for assistance as explained above. It appeared that you were after a response & I also wanted to clear up the context of my post, the one you commented on.
Another newsflash for you. Your not unique or special. Anyone that's purchased a QED & needs help can get assistance from the dealers + the inventor/builder. I still have Howard's mobile number.
Here's another newsflash for you. When you come to a forum don't make statements ending with double "??". That indicates your posing a question. Don't follow up by saying your a confused newbie as that indicates you need assistance. Make a point of letting people know your an anal DH that doesn't need advice.This way people will have no problem understanding that you don't need any help whatsoever.
In fact seeing as Facebook has confused you, this forum can't help you & you don't need advice here maybe give the social media a wide berth. You can then drive Reg, Brian & Howard bonkers :playful: :lol:

Latest posts