XP ORX information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Digger58
I brought the 9 x 5 coil havent had much time to swing the ORX with the bush fires and life in general. I took it out looking for gold had a few good hits but left my plastic digging spades at home and worked out it was hopeless trying to locate gold with out them. Once everything settles down I return for another dig. :|

These fires are bad hey? The only thing they are good for is maybe making some areas accessible, but I'd rather they didn't happen at all. They need to really penalise all these arsonists that start them. I heard there were over twenty caught, one being a 19yo firefighter who lit 7 fires I believe.

The ORX seems to be a great machine, but I think it needs a few years so people can decide it's fate.

Cheers.

Theres trees down everywhere not worth cutting your way in at this stage. I think most metal detectors work fine you just need to learn how to use them.
It might take a couple years but its the same no matter what brand you choose.
Good luck. :Y:

Using an XP ORX with elliptical Coil, I just completed a trip to Durikai GPA. Found a heap of shotgun pellets, end caps of shot gun cartridges, old fence, bullets and enough hot rocks to fill a truck.

I had a lot of trouble with Hot rocks and mineralized red clay. I tried every combination of setting I could think of. Followed Clegys XP ORX Settings for Gold in Australia when the going gets a little tough in mineralised areas. Kept GB exact all the time. Different Freq, Sensitivity levels, Threshold. I should have followed his last bit of advice and gone to the pub.

I did find one piece of gold.8g, but this was because someone else pointed me to a target with a GPZ7000. So I dug and persisted with every hot rock and bit of clay I found in the same hole until I located the gold.

In an area where I knew there was gold, I found it impossible to reduce the ground noise down to a level where I could start deciding what was a target. There where areas where I could get the ORX stable and Quiet in between areas of mineralized ground. The quiet areas is where I found all the trash targets. The only setting I didnt try was Disc IAR. When I got home I read more and maybe a 2-3 on IAR may have helped. There is next to no advice on any forum or Youtube related to Disc IAR use on the ORX for Gold 1 or 2. Coin settings for DISC is explained a bit but the settings are different.

Anyone got any advice

Jaros said:
What machine were you using?
I tell you my experience, in wet mineralized areas ... I could not detect at high frequencies .... many false signals as targets. gold mode, 13-14khz frequency, salt mode, 2-2.5 reactivity, 99 sensitivity ....... that way I could detect a 0.35gr nugget at a depth of 8 to 10cm

G'day Everyone,
I am new to detecting but not prospecting, for several weeks now I have been watching video after video and I am now looking for local Australian feedback befor I make a final decision, as I'm tossing up between the Minelab Equinox 8oo & this new machine
The XP ORX.
Can I get some feedback from anyone that has an ORX or had anything to do with either one please as it would help my final decision a real lot, thank you for any assistance., Cheers !
P.S, Mainly after Relics , Coins Etc !

G'day John,
If I'm correct you will have had your then new ORX
about (8 months) by now.
Im about to buy my 1st Detector also and I've been watching video clips for the past few weeks mainly all from the U.K and I'm chasing local Australian feedback on this machine mate.
Are you able to help me out in the area please
Anything you can tell me about your finds with it too date it does not matter how big or small I'm just after some good information to help in my decision to get one John.
And if not a rude question mate did you get a good deal as I've found the market place even in Australia can be so different pending where you are I have found, thanks mate.
Cheers, Dennis

I have an ORX and a XP Deus, they are both very good relic hunters. I do prefer the Deus for relics but that's just me...it has a few little extra settings which I find useful. The ORX is more a turn on and go machine with 4 preset modes, 2 of which are for gold and 2 for coins/relics. There is also a salt mode which can be activated as well so really 5 different options. Now it also has 2 memory slots which you can save custom programs you have made. The Gold programs can also be used for relic hunting as well as on the beach. :perfect:

I have also owned and used a couple of Equinox 800s, fantastic machine's very good on coins / beach / and relics, especially with a smaller coil if your in tight area's / stubble. I have found small gold with the Nox as well, all under 0.5 gram. I would have to say a very deep machine, a very good weapon for all types of hunting probably one of the most useful machines available, especially with its multi frequency voodoo. :100:

Saying all this which one do I prefer, well, both are great machines hard to separate them...but because we are getting a little older we prefer to use the XP Machines, they are very well balanced and exceptionally light weight which suits us better. Easy to store in a backpack or small bag and take with you anywhere. Big question is do they also find Gold...yes sir :Y: they certainly do, have found some nice pieces recently in very hot ground :pickshovel:

cheers

Hi Rockdev,
Well that's a pretty good response and covers all aspects of what I wanted to know, it's really looking like the ORX, it would appear to be the best around for the money right now.
But if I can say, thank you all very much for your input it's very helpful when people know what they are talking about.. thanks guys. :cool: :Y:

No worries glad to be of some assistance, I wouldn't right of the Equinox though its a bloody good Machine. There both exceptional machine's for what they are, don't think you can go wrong with either one. :pickshovel: good luck.

cheers

Rockdev was that the ORX you found gold with or just the Deus.

I will be the first to admit I only had guidance from an ORX owner who was very new to the machine and I had a few bits of gold on me at the time, but I was pretty underwhelmed by it.

Played around with a few coins (it was in hot ground) and the owner could tell by my expression what I was thinking.

A proper demo would satisify my curiosity, but a proficient users summary would be better.

I have seen the Deus in action, even used it a few times myself, great little machine and a credit to xp, which is why it was a little dissapointing seeing the ORX, but I would always reserve judgement until someone who is not selling me one and has a firm grasp on its capabilities makes an assessment.

Will follow this thread with interest and an open mind.

The other day I found the gold with the Deus OldGt, I did have the ORX control box with me and split but the day in half using both. I run the Deus in the morning and the ORX in the afternoon. I found 3 pieces in the morning sizes were 0.17, 2.14 and 4.56. There was no missing the bigger ones, and the .17 wasn't to bad a signal either but easily mist if not concentrating.

I have found the GB is very crucial on the Xp's for gold, not so much for coins. They are like all vlf's though, still noisy in the hot ground. The hot rocks are easy to distinguish after getting your ear in. I have no doubt the ORX would have found the nuggets as well as I found lots of small lead and boot tacks after lunch using the ORX. Also found the ORX is quicker to ground balance with the 1 touch ground grab button. :Y:

cheers

1595238225_coil-gold.jpg

How satisfied are you with ORX? This metal detector is difficult to set up for tricky mineralized ground, everything must be done manually and often changed how you get it. I havent decided to buy an ORX or GM1000 yet.

Latest posts