Mt Crawford SA South Australia information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers everyone, thanks for your replies, yeah i do get myself down to vic when ever i can, but when i cant for 3-4 months the withdrawal kicks in, so even if it`s just for one day, the Adelaide Hills i was hoping was going to help me get that fix, but not so sure anymore.
Anyway`s Good Christmas to all, stay safe and last but not least, save me some gold, and punch a greenie in the nose HO HO HO!!!

I like Jupiter Creek and Chapel Hill on the cooler days of summer. There is an abundance of red bellied black snakes around in the summer but assuming you are swinging the detector in front of you I wouldn't be too concerned. I have accrued near half an ounce in small gold from Jupiter Creek. The overgrown areas are a blessing because it keeps lazy detectorists out. Run a small coil and take a rake to give the surface a scratch in the lower gullies. Areas which have already been raked are a good place to continue. You'll usually pick up some smaller bits if you put in the time.

Vehicle access to Mount Crawford has been stopped for the entire fire danger season. You can still walk in on non fireban days.

Just had a look on the Forestry site, and it says that access ( i am assuming through the gates) is denied for yearly fee holders due to the f...... virus. Has anyone been out there lately?, i'm waiting for the borders to open(and they better bloody open soon considering some medical experts are saying there is NO MEDICAL reason why the should be closed) so i can get down to Vic and do some detecting and get my life back. I can go to Vic but then i will have to do that b...shit 2 weeks of dying even if i don't show even a sniffle of a bug, when are these idiots going to find some f...... common sense?

Mt Crawford opened today for camping, fossicking etc. I emailed Forestry S.A. a couple of weeks ago, re camping and fossicking here is their response;

Fossicking enquiry:

Fossicking is only permitted in designated areas of Mt Crawford Forest reserve, and is not permitted at Kuitpo or in Chookarloo campground at Kuitpo at all.
I have attached a copy of the Information Brochure. Fossicking Permits are now purchased online : https://www.forestrysa.com.au/recreation-mountloftyranges/fossicking/ and further details are available online.

Once your Permit purchase or renewal has been made, please ensure the Permit is made available on your mobile for Ranger inspection, if required. The Ranger will also be able to access your Permit via online database using vehicle registration details provided at time of Permit purchase.

The Annual Permit will be valid for 1 year from date of purchase, and an email reminder for renewal will be issued to you on expiration of current Permit. It is hoped the transition to an online Permit renewal system will streamline this process for customers and ForestrySA.

As soon as our routines return to normal, and a decision has been made regarding ongoing access to the forest, on the 1st of every month, the Annual Fossick Permit holders will receive an email advising of the gate code for the upcoming month. As the codes will be changed in the first week of the month, it is recommended to keep both last + the current months code to hand to ensure access is available.

ForestrySA looks forward to you purchasing your Permit, and enjoying activities within designated areas.

Please keep an eye on our website for further updates, and continue to direct enquiries to [email protected].

Thank you.

Here is their reply re camping;

Camping enquiry:

ForestrySA campgrounds within Kuitpo and Mount Crawford Forest Reserves will be available for overnight stays from Monday 25 May 2020. To secure a campsite, bookings and payment can be made on our new online booking system from 9am, Monday 25 May 2020. Please visit forestrysa.com.au/camping to find out more.

To ensure we meet current South Australian Government COVID-19 restrictions, our accommodation and hut facilities will remain closed until further notice.

Online campsite bookings will make your camping experience with ForestrySA even better. You will be able to view maps to check campsite availability, and secure your spot online prior to leaving home. No more paper permits on vehicles while camping, our Forest Rangers can check permit details online. We have received overwhelmingly positive feedback from the public in moving to online bookings.

Please note one important change day visitors wishing to use a campsite will also be required to book their site online. Use of fire pits within picnic areas will remain free of charge, available on a first-in first-served basis.

We are excited to open up our campgrounds again to visitors and ForestrySA will continue to act in accordance with the advice of the South Australian Government as restrictions continue to ease.

Thank you for your patience and understanding during this ever-evolving situation.

I think Forestry SA are two weeks behind already in opening up the gate to permit holders.... they should email us paid up fossickers that gate code asap. :mad:

OzzieAU, Right on, and they should open the borders up as soon as, i know Pauline Hanson has threatened to take the Queensland premier to the high court, and i think Clive Palmer is threatening the same thing, good on em i say!!

I sent them an email a couple of days a go, and just received a reply, by the look of that response prospecting in Mt Crawford looks to be screwed maybe for good, good ol south oz hey, the great free prospecting state NOT ]:D
I think the idea of moving out of this state is looking better by the minute, GEEZ :mad:

Due to the COVID-19 we are not giving out the gate code at this time. The gate code system is also under review and I am not sure when we will be giving it out again. Please check out website regularly for any changes or updates.

Kind regards

Luke Hein | Forest Ranger and ICT Coordinator | ForestrySA
Phone: (08) 8391 8800
495 Brookman Road, PMB2, Meadows SA 5201 | Web: www.forestrysa.com.au

Weird, left leg don't know what right leg doing, lol. Not so weird it's a Govt Dept.

The above emails I got were from Forestry S.A. HQ

Lets face it, this greeny mob that is running this show, could'nt wait for an excuse to shut the grounds up, they will probably drag this out for as long as they can, other options are looking like the only path!

The only thing I can think of is that they are worried about someone contaminating the chain and padlock on the gate.... what other reason would there be to stop a few blokes wandering around solo in the forest.
Bloody w..k.rs will look for any excuse to protect their arses.

It's because of those idiot 4x4 wankers who are bypassing gates and ruining the tracks,I spoke to a ranger on Saturday and that was one of the main reasons for the code to not be given out,there's 4x4 forums with locked threads by groups who go there of a nighttime and do what they want,bellends just ruining it for us prospectors??????

So is that right Bigjilm.... no more gate access at all !!! If thats the case Ill be hitting them for a refund for my annual permit.
There are certainly some weirdos that get up to god knows what in the forest after dark. The last time I was there I came across a campsite for want of a better word. Looked like something that was used for ritual type sh-t...... hidden out of sight in a gully.
Next time I see a ranger, Ill point him in its direction.

Hi guys, has anyone received their gate code yet ? I was up at Crawford today, and there was a car inside the gate. He is a member of a Facebook group and said that he had the gate code. Lucky man was testing out his new GPZ. I had to walk in because I haven't received the code yet, by the time I reach the top of the hill, with all my gear :( , lets just say that a gate code would have been nice. 8.(

Latest posts