Life with a QED PL3

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, been looking at getting me a PI machine again. Trying to decide between a QED and a 5000. And before anyone states the obvious, I know they are completely different machines, I'm just doing my homework. So here we are In 2020, 3 or 4 years after the first QED. It's great to see an Aussie guy, who's built what seems to be a great little detector, giving the goliaths some competition. So anyway, all those using the QED, how are you all going with It and do you like It?

Although i wasn't very impressed with the QED to begin with, once i got over that learning curve, I've had pretty decent success, and for $1624 bran new (minus the coil) which i have a plenty, its paid for itself with a quite nice find a few weeks back..

Lots i could go into but I'm not in a typing mood so i'll just say this, the GPX 5000 is better in every way, except heavier lol, no competition at all so put that out of your mind. but price per performance, the QED is well worth considering.

my daily driver is a GPX 4000, and in my opinion, its far superior.

Join the QED groups on facebook, talk to Brian Skinn

17x11 UFO coil NOT recommended, pump it in the slightest, it goes ape :poop:
1593332231_qedpl3.jpg

Gidday Elijah, thanx for your reply. I am already a member on the FB QED page and been getting lots of Info. I gave Reg a call today and had a good chat with him, what a hell of a nice bloke he Is. Anyway, I'm still deciding which way I will go, just trying to get as much Info as I can :)

We quite often hear many favouring one over the other. Some state they like the likes of the GPXs over the QED but then you get many that have parked up the GPX in favour of the PL2. The PL2 is a different detector to operate compared to the GPX so it would be fair to recognise a preference if thats where experience may lie. Knowing the PL2 well and how to get the most out of it can sway many. Brian Skinn for one has a GPX4000 parked up in the cupboard.

1593660210_965c0a6f-5653-4c5b-ae34-d37428b040fd.jpg

Yeah, Brian Is moderator on a page I am following. Haven't spoken to him yet but I'm sure I will. I am about to purchase one, they sound like an Interesting little machine. How do you like yours, been finding the yellow stuff with It?

Scott'O' said:
Yeah, Brian Is moderator on a page I am following. Haven't spoken to him yet but I'm sure I will. I am about to purchase one, they sound like an Interesting little machine. How do you like yours, been finding the yellow stuff with It?

I set up that Facebook page for Howard. One of the few things i did for him after what he had done for me.

Yes i have found a little in a difficult part of Victoria. That and ive been too busy unfortunately.

I was new to detecting a year ago when i got the QED. Reg Wilson (as much as i think he is a tard) spoke to Howard on my behalf who upgraded my detector for free. This is not a one off. This is typical of the bloke. Howard didnt produce the QED to compete with the likes of Minelab. He clearly just wanted to make a quality detector for the people. He has succeeded in that. This detector just keeps getting better yet we dont have to pay for a later model. Free upgrades bar return postage.

Like any detector, if you know how to maximise on its settings, youll get the most out of it. For those that can truely operate the QED to its full potential will leave nothing behind for a GPX.

Sorry if i sound like an advert but im not affiliated in any way shape or form. What Howard has done for me and how this detector has performed gets my push and support.

Cheers.

Al.

Aussiedigs said:
Scott'O' said:

I set up that Facebook page for Howard. One of the few things i did for him after what he had done for me.

Yes i have found a little in a difficult part of Victoria. That and ive been too busy unfortunately.

I was new to detecting a year ago when i got the QED. Reg Wilson (as much as i think he is a tard) spoke to Howard on my behalf who upgraded my detector for free. This is not a one off. This is typical of the bloke. Howard didnt produce the QED to compete with the likes of Minelab. He clearly just wanted to make a quality detector for the people. He has succeeded in that. This detector just keeps getting better yet we dont have to pay for a later model. Free upgrades bar return postage.

Like any detector, if you know how to maximise on its settings, youll get the most out of it. For those that can truely operate the QED to its full potential will leave nothing behind for a GPX.

Sorry if i sound like an advert but im not affiliated in any way shape or form. What Howard has done for me and how this detector has performed gets my push and support.

Cheers.

Al.

Have to agree, I wish i had the field time with it, that i do with my gpx.

Hey Aussiedigs, great Info mate. I have made up my mind to get one and give It a go, a lot of people seem very happy with them. It's also good to be able to support a local business as well. I emailed Howard today with a question and I was happy with his reply, seems like a nice fella. So I just gotta get my machine now and get out there. Elijah, do you take both machines out together and still try to get time on the QED? Also, any of you guys got a fave coil for It?

Scott'O' said:
Hey Aussiedigs, great Info mate. I have made up my mind to get one and give It a go, a lot of people seem very happy with them. It's also good to be able to support a local business as well. I emailed Howard today with a question and I was happy with his reply, seems like a nice fella. So I just gotta get my machine now and get out there. Elijah, do you take both machines out together and still try to get time on the QED? Also, any of you guys got a fave coil for It?

If i was to go one coil, id go with a 11/12 mono. These can punch deep yet are supper sensitive on the end of the QED.

Make sure you get a pick with a long handle, 800/900mm. Short handles are a pain.

So, I ended up getting myself a QED yesterday. After I picked It up, I was so keen to give It a go as I was already In Maldon but the bloody rain just wouldn't let up...haha. I'll be using the trusty Sadie for a bit while I learn the machine and also until I decide on what other coil I want for It. X-Coils are getting a good wrap at the moment but are hard to get but I'm sure I wouldn't be unhappy with an Evo or an Elite either. Anyway, keen as mustard to get out there now and have me some fun :D

Scott'O' said:
So, I ended up getting myself a QED yesterday. After I picked It up, I was so keen to give It a go as I was already In Maldon but the bloody rain just wouldn't let up...haha. I'll be using the trusty Sadie for a bit while I learn the machine and also until I decide on what other coil I want for It. X-Coils are getting a good wrap at the moment but are hard to get but I'm sure I wouldn't be unhappy with an Evo or an Elite either. Anyway, keen as mustard to get out there now and have me some fun :D

Awesome Scott, check with Reg Wilson here or off his page in the QED website. Knows all coils very well.

Mate, ask ask and ask here and on the facebook page. So many very experienced people using these with awesome results. Check out the photos to the left on the QED facebook page. Heaps of pics in there of finds.