Gold Rat Mini Cleanup Sluice / backpack Highbanker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like a plan I will order one on your site. I have only spent a little time around the Nundle area so for and found a bit of colour so hopefully more to come.

Hey just checking -- I'm keen on buying one of the backpack highbanker setups soon... just wanted to check with you to see if you think the 2000gph pump would run alright with one of these little batteries from Jaycar? https://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-7-2ah-sla-battery/p/SB2486 (12v, 7.2Ah) and if so, how long would you estimate it'd run for before running out of charge? Perhaps better going for something like this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-12A...198392?hash=item28238df7b8:g:-AAAAOSwRV9czqVp (12V, 12Ah) for a bit longer run-time?

Also how much does the highbanker weigh approximately?

hey mate 4.5 kgs shipped weight including pump, i would run the 1100 gph if battery consumption is your main concern and the 7.2 amp hour battery will be fine for that otherwise with a 10 amp draw aka the 2000 gph bilge i would run a 20+ amp hour battery which would provide 2 hours plus run time.

i personally have a 34 amp hour battery and two 7.5 amp hour batteries depending on how far i will be from the car.

you can prolong the battery life by connecting to a solar blanket while running

4.5 kg, that's awesome mate! Ended up going with the 1100 gph and purchasing this battery from Jaycar: https://www.jaycar.com.au/12-8v-7-5ah-lithium-deep-cycle-battery/p/SB2201

Went with the lithium option as it's only 1.1kg so we'll see how it goes, also purchased this for charging: https://www.jaycar.com.au/4-stage-6-12v-4a-battery-charger-with-lcd-display/p/MB3611 -- will also grab a solar blanket at some point

I should get a little over a couple hours with this battery, hey? and I might follow your lead and get a couple other larger capacity batteries down the track for additional options depending on the situation.

Cheers!

Just found this thread so thought I'd contribute.

I bought the Gold Rat 6" backpacker sluice last year and thought it was the best purchase I'd ever made. We had lots of outings together, discovered some new creeks and found some gold. It was a magic time. In fact, I think the missus started to get jealous...

I've since added some legs, made a header box from PVC (yes, PVC), and bought a 1100gph pump and a 20AH 12V battery to convert it into a powered sluice. Surely life couldn't get any better.

Then I discovered the hopper option to turn my already customised beast into a fully fledged highbanker. A few bunches of flowers later and I got purchasing approval from the missus.

I gave my new unit a run last weekend and I was like a kid with a new bike. And a shovel.

I must have put over 100 shovels through it in a couple of hours. I didn't find heaps of colour - but that wasn't the point. The mini highbanker took everything I threw at her and she didn't skip a beat.

From sluice to highbanker in a year. What a great journey.
1561190048_webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

thanks for sharing mate thats a great conversion and why i design everything to be modular (as bets i can) i'm pretty much locked in at the 6 inch banker these days, its about the right volume for the energy i have when i get time out. looks like you have some nice flow down there too.

All I can say is I am super impressed by both the 6" Mini Sluice and the 6" Highbanker. I used the mini sluice out in the field with a pan at the end to see if I lost any gold, (the river was running fast!) checked the pan and not a speck of gold. It was all caught in the dream mat. A fantastic product. Saved me hours of panning.

The 6" highbanker I set up at home, recycling the water similar to what you showed in your video. I bought home 5 buckets of 1/8 classified. After washing away the excess dirt and grime I ran them through the highbanker. Worked well. Not as fast as at the river but still did a great job. Caught all the gold, including the flower gold.

Already recommended the river sluice to two friends, one just bought an 8" river sluice from you last week. The other friend I haven't been in contact but he was very impressed watching the sluice in action.

Now that I have used the Highbanker, I will be recommending that to my friends as well.

Great products and definite labour saving equipment. :Y: :trophy:

Latest posts