Small sapphires - looking for advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Afternoon,
My father passed away a couple of months ago, and in his stuff we have found many metal detecting related things that I'm unsure are of any value to anyone.

Some of this is a couple of small jars of quite small sapphires. We have taken them to a jeweller who advised they are too small to cut.

There's also one he labelled "spinel".

So, my question is, is there anything else that these gemstones can be used for? Or are they only fit for the bin?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Sharon

Sapphires
1594005476_2020-06-05_10.57.53.jpg

1594005501_2020-06-05_10.58.29.jpg

Spinel
1594005528_2020-06-05_10.59.02.jpg

Condolences on losing your Dad, Sharon.

These tiny stones were clearly precious to him and represent the reward for many hours of his hard work. I'm no gemologist, but have you considered having some of them made into jewellery that will become family heirlooms and help to preserve his memory?

Condolences on losing your for your lost of your Dad

I would be keeping them

You could make earrings from some of them and other stuff

Regards Goody

They do look to be on the small side, in saying that, there may be a couple of small stones that could be cut and used in a sentimental piece of jewellery.

Keep a lookout for any bottle marked cutters in case he separated them at some stage as it appears he sorted blues, greens+zircon and spinels Into separate bottles. If he has any cutting equipment, look for more bottles within his small tools and accessories.

If you share your city/region, someone locally may be able to take a look and give you some better advice. Happy to offer to take a look If you are ever in Sydney as I like to assist with sentimental endeavours. If you have a local lapidary club, they may be able to help as well.

Hi there! Thank you for your lovely suggestions already. Appreciated. I will hold on to them (not specifically for sentimental reasons, but they are very pretty), but just so unsure what to do with them. Thank you.

(I'm in Victoria - Mornington Peninsula.)

There is a lapidary club in Frankston, they also run stone cutting and silversmithing workshops if you ever decide to do something with them yourself.

Latest posts