What is the best detector for old coins treasure etc

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the best detector for old coins treasure etc in Au

Thanks

Something that can discriminate out the rubbish, the rest is largely down to personal preference unless salt water is involved.

Check out the coin and relic threads, you will see all detectors from $99 to $2000 capture the coins.

I am very happy with my Equinox

grubstake said:
The Equinox is popular and very good, but "the best" is clearly the now seldom-mentioned Minelab CTX3030 - it's the GPZ-equivalent in Minelab's range of coin/jewellery/relic detectors (and priced accordingly):
https://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-ctx-3030-metal-detector
That's still debatable mate.
There are better detectors for trashy areas aparently.
:Y: :)

You cant put a best detector label on coin and relic machines like you can with a gold detector.
There are many coin machines that will work well.
You have CTX ,Nox, deus, all great machines that work well and all have proven time after time.
Then you have lower end machines that will also find you coins and relics.
At the end of the day the detector will tell you there's a signal but it's up to you whether you dig it or not.

goldtrapper said:
Smoky bandit said:
grubstake said:
The Equinox is popular and very good, but "the best" is clearly the now seldom-mentioned Minelab CTX3030 - it's the GPZ-equivalent in Minelab's range of coin/jewellery/relic detectors (and priced accordingly):
https://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-ctx-3030-metal-detector
That's still debatable mate.
There are better detectors for trashy areas aparently.
:Y: :)

Please tell....which ones? Interested.
Nox....and Deus.
As I said it's debatable :(

The Nox and Deus are fantastic in very cluttered trash. I still think that the CTX is the best treasure detector by far but it does struggle in very cluttered areas compared with the other 2. In saying that though I've done very well on trashy sites with the CTX but have come back with the Nox and found a few good targets previously missed due to masking.

Pros and cons for Detectors as lots of variables and the hardest to manage is the USER...

Notka and ML have a few models around $1k and even significantly lower that will all do a good job in the right hands...

Practice and Perseverance

Heatho said:
The Nox and Deus are fantastic in very cluttered trash. I still think that the CTX is the best treasure detector by far but it does struggle in very cluttered areas compared with the other 2. In saying that though I've done very well on trashy sites with the CTX but have come back with the Nox and found a few good targets previously missed due to masking.

I thought some of you best finds were with the Aldi and it was statistically the most efficient machine for return on invested equity.

Loaded question. Most people just recommend they one they own. Even if it is the only one they have used. Look at what features suits you. Most decent brands have good detecting ability so it comes down to features. Waterproof? Weight? Compact and portable? All the bells n whistles?? Price of course is a big factor. Back.up support? Batteries? Rechargeable or are we constantly buying batteries..... just some things to consider.
This is a good video from Clegy comparing detectors in a similar price range. Admittedly he is only representing 2 brands at the moment but still gives a good report. It's a Facebook link. Sorry but that is how he does it.

https://www.facebook.com/aussiedetectorist/videos/652898495544430/?d=null&vh=e

so for the money would the CTX have better trash discrimination thinking about buying it or the Nox 800
and are they able to handle minralised ground
Thanks

waynec said:
What is the best detector for old coins treasure etc in Au

Thanks

If you're new to the hobby, honestly am ace 200 would do the job. An equinox 600 would be the most I'd tell you to spend, the CTX is over kill for a new comer I think

not a newcomer just wanting to do something different as far as detecting in the lockdown here in vic ,

Wally69 said:
Heatho said:

I thought some of you best finds were with the Aldi and it was statistically the most efficient machine for return on invested equity.

Aldi was the best return on investment for sure but it was very clunky. :D

waynec said:
not a newcomer just wanting to do something different as far as detecting in the lockdown here in vic ,

Where and what are you hunting for? Then buy the detector to suit your budget

I do not have personal experience though I heard expert recommends Minelab is a good brand to consider

Latest posts