Books to keep an eye out for.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome collection jemba thanks for sharing mate.
that last photo titled "Title: [Horse pulling a whim, Mafeking and Mount William goldfields] "
Not ot be the fact police but a whim usually consists of a barrel type contraction designed to wind rope up and down, this is a puddler and probably one of the best photos ive seen of a working puddler from that time. the horst must ahve hated having to stand still for so long :) you can see the ghosting around the horst fomr the long exposure. awesome just awesome

I would say your right but i cant change what is stated in the library's documents. :Y: even when they get it wrong bugger. Cheers Jemba

Jemba said:
I would say your right but i cant change what is stated in the library's documents. :Y: even when they get it wrong bugger. Cheers Jemba

i didn't think it was you mate i can see the title is what it is, just an observation. its a very cool thread you've got going I've got my own collections mostly around Ballarat its great to see more NSW based archives i'll be watching this thread with great interest

All's good mate :Y:

The Golden Eagle Nugget

Summary

The 'Golden Eagle' nugget was discovered at Larkinville by the 17-year-old son of Mr Jim Larcombe, on Thursday 15th January 1931. Weighing 1,135 oz 15 dwt, and measuring 26 x 11 x 2 inches (675 x 290 x 64 mm), the nugget was the largest discovered in Western Australia at the time and created a national sensation.

The block of ground on which the nugget was discovered was previously held by Mr Bill Sheehan, who had abandoned it. The nugget was found in a hole in the road leading to Mr
Mickey Laskin's camp, having been driven over by local people for months with no idea of what lay beneath the surface. When young Larcombe unearthed the nugget it was reported that 'he uttered such a joyous yell that diggers quickly ran to the spot' where they 'saw the lad staggering with a massive slab of gold in his arms.' As there were no scales available capable of handling it, someone thought of the idea of balancing the nugget on a pole against a bag of sugar and when this was done, the gold easily swung the 60-lb bag in the air giving the crowd a rough idea of its weight.

Mr Larcombe was born at Kadina in 1887 and had arrived at Coolgardie at the age of nine. He had spent his adult life prospecting on various goldfields and was the President of the Coolgardie Prospectors' and Leaseholders' Association at the time of the find. His son had only been working with him at Larkinville for five weeks at the time of the find and had almost abandoned the ground before a 70-ounce slug of gold was found on an adjoining block the previous Friday. This had heartened the Larcombes encouraging them to work their own ground with renewed vigour.

The nugget was sold to the Western Australian Government after Mr Larcombe had refused a private offer of 6000 for the nugget.

Description of Content

Group of men in the main street of Kalgoorlie holding the Golden Eagle nugget, the largest found in Western Australia. A policeman stands beside them.

1520566181_group_14.jpg

Taken From
Museums Victoria Collection

https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/767878

Mineral collecting localities of the Broken Hill district [by] I.R. Plimer.
Hyde Park, S.A. : Peacock Publications 1977

Prospectors' guide / Department of Minerals and Energy, Victoria.
[Melbourne] : Dept. of Minerals and Energy 1980

Prospecting ventures / F.J. Spurrier.
Mereeba, Qld. : [Pinevale Publications 1982

Prospecting for gold.
William Frederick Heinz
[Christchurch, N.Z.]: Pegasus [1964].

Alluvial prospecting and mining / S.V. Griffith.
Oxford ; New York : Pergamon Press 1960

Gold prospecting in Western Australia / by Rob Kanen.
Wantirna, Vic. : MinServ 2004

Remimscences of 40 years prospecting in Australia and Tasmania / by M.J. O'Reilly "Mulga Mick".
M. J O'Reilly (Michael Joseph), ca. 1879-1958.
Hobart ; Oldham : Biddone and Meredith 1944

Prospecting for gold : from the dish to the hydraulic plant / by Ion L. Idriess ; with introduction by F.S. Mance.
Ion L Idriess (Ion Llewellyn), 1891-1979.
Sydney : Angus & Robertson 1931

Winning the gold in Western Australia / Mike Wattone.
Mike Wattone 1939-
Scarborough, W.A. : Contraland Press 1982

Peppercorn gold : gold at Goodmans Creek, a family's 50 year search / written by Likely Prospects.
Daylesford, Vic. : Likely Prospects 2001

Gold panning for novices : using a gold pan & basic prospecting methods / Stephen Barnham.
Stephen Barnham
Daylesford, Vic. : Likely Prospects 2004

Stories and poems about the Queensland gemfields / compiled and illustrated by Glen Gillard.
Brisbane : Boolarong Publications 1983

Handbook on uranium prospecting in South Australia.
http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/85949

Prospecting tips & techniques : where to find gold : the how, when & where of metal detecting, panning, sluicing, crevicing, dry blowing, dredging.
Silverwater, N.S.W. : Express Publications [1994]

Prospecting, panning & metal detecting : your introductory guide to finding Australia's golden treasures / by ... Des Stroud.
D. J Stroud (Desmond J.)
[Melbourne : Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology] 1987

The golden West and how it was discovered / by yours truly, the pioneer prospector, Dick Greaves.
Dick Greaves 1854-1916.
Victoria Park, W.A. : Hesperian Press 1981

Locating treasure : locating and digging antique bottles : prospecting for gold and detecting / Ken Arnold.
Ken Arnold
Bendigo, Vic. : Crown Castleton Publishers 2006

Stray places : gold detecting / prospecting guide : Bacchus Marsh, Campbelltown, Clydesdale, Mt Doran & Metcalfe with gps references : a set of 5 basic maps of lesser known gold areas / Stephen Barnham.
Stephen Barnham
Daylesford, Vic. : Likely Prospects 2003

Prospector's approach to panning for gold : the geology, methods and application of alluvial gold prospecting / I.D. Lindley.
David Lindley (I. David)
East Malvern, Vic. : Gemcraft Books 1990

Mates and gold : reminiscences of early Westralian goldfields, 1890-1896 / N.K. Sligo.
N. K Sligo (Norman Kenneth), 1866-1941.
Victoria Park, W.A. : Hesperian Press 1980

The Bright district nugget book : including up-to-date list of locally found gold nuggets, prospective areas for gold in quartz specimens, prospecting hints, detailed goldfield maps / by R.J. Kaufman.
R. J Kaufman (Robert J.), 1953-.
Wandiligong, Vic. : LRGM 1992

River working near Grant

1520639557_downlo19.jpg

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/76222

Hi Jemba,
There is one good book that you forgot particularly for us Victorians, The History of Gold Discovery by James Flett, I have had mine since mid 1970's when metal detecting first started to take off here in Victoria. It has been well read over the years.
Robert, Stawell.

Great pic's, one thing I notice in nearly all old gold mining pic's the men are wearing hats of the time, even top hats.

Reviving an older post and asking, where are you Jemba?
You are a wealth of knowledge and I miss your presence around the place.

Hope all is well mate and it would be great to see you back here :D

This bookseller has some great old books & lots on the goldfields:
http://www.timebooksellers.com.au/index.html
They are based in Victoria but I was able to source an old book on Gulgong/Mudgee goldfields geology from them. :Y:
Always lots of new acquisitions too. I'm signed up to get their periodical emails linking to the latest books in.

The second rush : a study of the goldrush to Sofala in 1851 / Robert G.V. Baker.
Available from The Manager, Centre Pak Research, 7 Gowrie Street, Cronulla, N.S.W. 2230.
Map on inside back cover.

A gold commissioner / [by] Charles Bateson ; Illustrated by Ron Brooks
Summary
Describes the life of William Johnson, who was the Assistant Commissioner at Sofala, during the gold rush days. Illustrations.

Incidents connected with the discovery of gold in New South Wales in the year 1851 / by E.W. Rudder, being a personal narrative of his connection with that event.

Download from.
https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-11252733...obj-1125273324/view?partId=nla.obj-1125278632

Latest posts