⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The autocorrect must know something :lol:

Wallys Sally...., she sounds sweet and sparkles too :inlove:

1593563866_bd7b530b-1689-487c-ab47-2ce926dae120.jpg

1593654730_carina_s_ring_1.jpg
1593654748_carina_s_ring_2.jpg
1593654765_carina_s_ring_3.jpg
1593654786_carina_s_topaz.jpg

A bit of topaz that I cut into a square cushion barion design (the barions were interesting to cut). This was my 2nd stone & I posted it several months ago. My Mrs has since had it set by a local jeweller. I'm hoping to be able to set future stones myself into tailor made castings

Very well done! That is very adventurous for a second stone. Make sure that you write down the measurements of that stone now, because topaz is notorious for getting knocked in a ring and shattering/chipping/cracking. Even though it has a hardness of 8 it is quite a fractious stone when it comes to collision. Much better as a pendant stone, for safety sake and you can see how that stone would really highlight your lady's neck.

But well done, again.

Pat Hogen said:
Very well done! That is very adventurous for a second stone. Make sure that you write down the measurements of that stone now, because topaz is notorious for getting knocked in a ring and shattering/chipping/cracking. Even though it has a hardness of 8 it is quite a fractious stone when it comes to collision. Much better as a pendant stone, for safety sake and you can see how that stone would really highlight your lady's neck.

But well done, again.

No worries, thanks Pat will do.

You should be very proud of your creation, it is.a great achievement.

The square Barion is a great cut for topaz, with perfect symmetry key to speedy success......or lots of cheating when working on the crown.

I like the design chosen for the ring and look forward to seeing your silverwork.

Wally69 said:
You should be very proud of your creation, it is.a great achievement.

The square Barion is a great cut for topaz, with perfect symmetry key to speedy success......or lots of cheating when working on the crown.

I like the design chosen for the ring and look forward to seeing your silverwork.

Tanks Wally. FYI, so far I've cut a couple of stones out of the peridot & topaz you kindly sent me. I'll see if I can get a decent photo & put it up.
Best regards Mark

That's a beautiful result Bullwinkle, well done, hope your wife appreciates your fine work.

As Pat mentioned Topaz can do nasty things at times even when cutting, they can also fracture due to internal stresses as I found to my dismay recently.

1593671757_fracture.jpg

:awful: I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to you for a while, part of a cutters life :(

Nice one Bullwinkle. Its satisfying when you see it through to the finished product.? I should also comment that your photos are looking good.
Dihusky, that would make me tear whats left of my hair out. Id understand if you pulled the pin on that one.

Martyz said:
Nice one Bullwinkle. Its satisfying when you see it through to the finished product.? I should also comment that your photos are looking good.
Dihusky, that would make me tear whats left of my hair out. Id understand if you pulled the pin on that one.
Thanks Marty, The photo's were taken by the jewellers, so I haven't improved that much in that department haha.

Dihusky said:
That's a beautiful result Bullwinkle, well done, hope your wife appreciates your fine work.

As Pat mentioned Topaz can do nasty things at times even when cutting, they can also fracture due to internal stresses as I found to my dismay recently.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10304/1593671757_fracture.jpg

:awful: I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to you for a while, part of a cutters life :(

I have had a couple of minor disasters, like not paying attention, like dropping the quill & having a 3 quarter finished stone pinging across the room. Dropping a finished bit of topaz into a jar of metho without tissue on the bottom & chipping the stone. Good thing is that you're very conscious about not repeating the mistake.

xcvator said:

That's looking really good xcvator, spot on with the marking and cutting, and from what I can see in the bottom photo (bit small) those cabs are looking tops with a nice polish. :cool:

You're obviously getting the hang of your machine and it looks to be working well for you, very very well done. :clap: :clap: :fistpump:

Latest posts