⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nugget said:
We often see pictures of rough gemstones from members, but what about the ones that have been cut and made all sparkly?

If you've had a gemstone cut, feel free to share with us some before and after photos. And please don't forget to include a little info about the gemstone in your post.

Cheers,
Nugget

Nice sparkly surprise jumped into life when I took it off the dop - 1.4ct Tasmanian Zircon
1593238528_323da3df-a7f2-4c7d-9118-e92638a11b68.jpg

Pat Hogen said:
Good stuff, isn't it? Do you think it will be a hard one to set Wally?

Corners will be fragile Pat and will need to be avoided, would think it would scare the pants off a commercial setter unless they centrally locate a single prong or use two per side.

When I was cutting it I was thinking I would use it with some metal clay and flush set it. Now it is finished I have been thinking of sliding it into an open sided ring setting with support along the full length of the stone, with a little extra width for making a bead detail for pushing in on the ends to stop it sliding out, although the pushing part sounds risky.

Dihusky said:
Amazing colour, I've never seen a Zircon that red and intense, golden browns, pinks etc, but one looking like a garnet, WoW :inlove:

Thought is was going to have a slight golden orange look to it based on what I saw when cutting it, the intense red spectrum only started to show itself when the crown was being polished. It shoots me in the eye like a laser beam when taken for a spin in the sunlight.

Got another one on the dop now, keen to see if the same colour is evident.

A stone with some history and a story. I first saw this piece of rough around a year ago, the owner lived not far from me so it allowed us to get together an discuss this special piece of Sapphire rough and other stones his father had left the family. I'd seen some interesting stones but nothing like this so we planned it's future life, not as a piece of rough but as 3 Gems that could be shared between the family.

1593250782_88ct_rough.jpg

Though the stone had been cleaned up, we still needed to see inside, so a polish on a couple of faces helped this. Yes there were inclusions plus a clearly defined fracture line across. These defined the first cuts, one to remove the rubbish then one directly through the fracture. This yeilded two stones, one 30.8ct and the second 48.25 ct, they still needed a final clean up to get rid of the last pieces of junk. The larger ended up at 38.15ct and the smaller 24.25ct. The larger was split in two giving two stones 13.15 and the second around 18ct.

The final result of the mission is these 3:

1593250907_trilogy.jpg

6.43cts, 4.52cts & 3.60cts.

The lucky owner is a friend of everyone here; Martyz

Fantastic stone Wally69 :perfect:

Nice looking piece xcvator :clap: :clap: your on your way to creating memorable pieces :Y:

Dihusky what a great story this stone has been, beautiful work :perfect: Martyz you must be over the moon to see your family stone come to life :beer:

There has been some great gemstone creating this year, I enjoy watching everyones journey with equipment and creation.

Heres to the next ones we are working on gents :beer: :clap: :gemstone: :clap: :beer:

Just woke up this morning to see some of these finished stones for the first time. A fitting end to this story as this was where I first introduced this sapphire to the forum after it had been sitting in a box for 40 years.
Found back in 1978 when my brother and I went on a fossicking trip with dad and one of his rock hound mates to Anakie, we always referred to it as the big black sapphire. It wasnt until a year and a half ago that I put an iPhone light under and saw colour for the first time.
The rest is now history. My mission was to bring it to life and make something for the family to enjoy. Thanks to lots of good advice from forum members I got to meet Dihusky and entrusted him with the task of seeing what we could make of this 88ct puzzle.
Mission accomplished and a job well done. I couldnt be happier. Cheers Dihusky I owe you one... well more than one. Youve helped me in ways that now have me enjoying the hobby my dad loved and I cant put a price on that.
:100: :Y: :Y:

Ok - so I missed a few steps when I got carried away with some cutters momentum. I had intended to take you all through the do you see what I see process with this second Tasmanian Zircon. Sorry, I missed taking finished pavilion and transfer shots for you. :argh:

Stopped just now to check my lap after a breakaway defect popped off. Am planning for this defect to disappear when I cut in the table and star facets on the crown.

1593336233_7870d094-c000-48ae-8de9-0afe00e7d72f.jpg

If I dont stuff it up, you will see the reveal..... by the way, dont hold your breath as I tend to park a stone if I encounter a mind bending issue.

Played with the crown a bit, had to cut it three times to get the defect to disappear and overcome a human error....that bloke in the mirror needs better concentration. :zzz:

Boring to look at from an angle at this stage but the colour is starting to dance under the work light and it should enjoy being liberated into the sunshine. 16 more break facets to go and then to final polish.
1593431917_87cf31e3-c829-43f9-ba25-c408aa663a4f.jpg