Whats on your supermarket shelves?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1593433515_fdc8a100-fe62-431e-9fe3-365fcb700125.jpg

1593433564_ec837fd4-dd5f-42d8-9fe7-190e4523ff00.jpg

Stopped into my local suburban supermarket, general store, and in their freezer, beside some milkfish and other not so common items were some beautiful kangaroo tails. Never seen them on the shelves before, I skinned ready to go for about $30 each.

aussiefarmer said:
Do they really still have the skin on them ?
Cook em up like shanks , slowly baked/casseroled with a cup or two of fluid in the pan.

Still fury. Locals cook them that way, straight on the coals fur and all. Few years ago one of my mates showed me how they cook Barra. Straight on the coals, no gutting, no scaleing, whole fish straight on. The skin peels off in one neat sheet, the Guts shrivels up into a ball, and its absolutely delicious! Steamed in its own juices.

davent said:
Few years ago one of my mates showed me how they cook Barra. Straight on the coals, no gutting, no scaleing, whole fish straight on. The skin peels off in one neat sheet, the Guts shrivels up into a ball, and its absolutely delicious! Steamed in its own juices.

Saw this while working on Koolan Island, he wrapped a whole "Goldie" in a hessian bag, dunked it in the ocean to soak while he dug a small pit on the beach. Placed the bag and fish in the hole and covered it with a layer of rocks then filled the hole with hot coals. Hour or so later came out like you have explained above. Delicious, washed down with a few coldies.

Some kitchen electronic products are disappearing or reduducing on shelves in SEQ.
Some plastic packaging for chocolate products was seen to be not there to source the other day... so an alternative was being sought after (overheard conversations in a Chocolate Shop.).... the raw plastic from china for the bags manufacturing was unavailable.

More of this to come I am sure. :eek:

davent said:
Still fury. Locals cook them that way, straight on the coals fur and all. Few years ago one of my mates showed me how they cook Barra. Straight on the coals, no gutting, no scaleing, whole fish straight on. The skin peels off in one neat sheet, the Guts shrivels up into a ball, and its absolutely delicious! Steamed in its own juices.

Fish is awesome that way, leather jacket and many of the parrot fish family are especially good as they have a tough skin. When we were in the islands, often made lunch on the beach, whole fish and hot coals, can't beat it :) .

Latest posts