Sniping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digga

Digga
Reaction score
I no this is a bit of a wild question,

would anyone Be willing to recommend a general area that would put me in the right Direction to do a bit of research so I could have a go at sniping,

The places Ive studied and then gone to check out results in me not been able to see past my nose.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated,
Regards

Digga

Plenty of creeks in Tassie but they get a bit murky at this time of year after heavy rain down here too. The little tributaries can be better but until someone invents waterproof heated undies I'll stick to detecting in winter and break out the mask and snorkel when the water is a bit warmer.

What state are you located?

I've done a fair bit over NSW but finding rivers with enough flow is hard sometimes.

In low flow and low visibility waters stick to shallow, less than 50cm water that's flowing over bedrock.

Sometimes I find gold on less than 10cm of water

Hey Digga the higher rivers and creeks draining the mountains in the North east of the state are my go to places to crevise and snipe. THE MOST relaxing way to find gold IMHO :cool: . Drop me a PM if you want a few tips. :perfect:

forest dweller said:
what's sniping ?

My understanding is that you basically snorkel the creek looking in crevices, cracks etc for small nuggets

What about the guys in Alaska that get into a creek in a wet suit and there is deep snow on the banks ? If they went to Tas . they would jump in their birthday suit as it would be warm to them !!!

The feeling of finding a nice nugget sniping is far better than panning it I reckon.
It's and excellent way to sample a river for gold bearing areas
Tools I use are:
Screwdriver flat head
Snuffer bottle with some big sinkers in it
Hammer and chisel
Picking tool/O ring tool
Small hand rake
Tweezer or artery forceps are better

It's definitely more of a summer thing but with a good suit and gloves i should be able to do it all winter