Nugget finder 12 Inch Mono evolution

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday

I personally found that the NF 12"evolution coil operates better on the later model gpx4500 and gpx5000's than it does on the earlier gpx4500, I found it to work reasonably well but it was a tad unstable and noisy at times, I still preferred to use the minelab commander 11" round mono instead as that runs more stable and a bit quieter, in some conditions and ground types a less sensitive but more stable coil is a better option for hearing those subtle target responses, but having said that keep in mind this was in WA soil conditions and running it it enhanced, others may have found it to be otherwise on their machines, and of course that it may work better in eastern states soil conditions better anyway.

After some inquiries I was told that the Coiltek Elite flat wound coils are a better option for the earlier model 4500's. I have tried the 14" camo elite coil and found it to be a very smooth and quiet coil, and have bought the Coiltek Elite 9" mono coil to replace my aging minelab 8" round mono, I will be trying that out next week, I have also considered the 11" elite round once I see how the 9" one goes.

cheers

stayyerAU

StayyerAU said:
Gday

I personally found that the NF 12"evolution coil operates better on the later model gpx4500 and gpx5000's than it does on the earlier gpx4500, I found it to work reasonably well but it was a tad unstable and noisy at times, I still preferred to use the minelab commander 11" round mono instead as that runs more stable and a bit quieter, in some conditions and ground types a less sensitive but more stable coil is a better option for hearing those subtle target responses, but having said that keep in mind this was in WA soil conditions and running it it enhanced, others may have found it to be otherwise on their machines, and of course that it may work better in eastern states soil conditions better anyway.

After some inquiries I was told that the Coiltek Elite flat wound coils are a better option for the earlier model 4500's. I have tried the 14" camo elite coil and found it to be a very smooth and quiet coil, and have bought the Coiltek Elite 9" mono coil to replace my aging minelab 8" round mono, I will be trying that out next week, I have also considered the 11" elite round once I see how the 9" one goes.

cheers

stayyerAU

I've not tried the 12" Round but last week I bought the NF 12x8" Evolution for the GPX4500. It's just like you say stayerAU, nowhere as smooth and quiet as the Commander 11" Mono. The Evo has a background chatter continuously so you have to listen very carefully to try to identify the genuine signals. I first tried it on the same settings I use on the 14" Elite, RX Gain 12 and Stabilizer 16. Then I tried reducing both gain and stabilizer but that background noise was still there once I brought the threshold up to an audible level. In the end I found I could run the RX Gain and Stabilizer at maximum 15 and 20 without any adverse effect beyond that base noise that is really annoying. I ended up pulling 3 little deeper nuggets out of a patch where we've been working the SDC. Just to be sure I returned to the disturbed ground with the SDC and found quite a few tiny bits of curly wire undetected with the Evo. It will not replace the SDC on very fine surface gold.

Hi all .I have read comments about 12 Evolution coil thinking very seriously in buying one. I have GPX 4500 using at the moment 11 Mono that came with the machine , Sadly havent had any luck , very small shotgun pellets , so I guess I am doing something right . Just a question with settings for 12 evo much the same settings as FP for The 4500 cheers happy prospecting

When I had the GPX5000, I bought a Evolutionary 17/13 coil. I was very pleased with the coil. I collected very small catfish.

Could an experienced user please advise me of the settings I should be using on my newly bought GPX 5000 with a 12inch round nuggetfinder evolution evolution coil. I realize every person might have different hearing but I would very much appreciate some advice. Cheers

I'd go 2 stops under factory settings. Also try putting the detector in deep, I've found lower audio helps to distinguish size of an object.
I'd stay with factory everyrhing else untill you get familiar with what's what.
The 12 inch is a great stable coil. Not much worries it and don't be afraid to try a few things later on , in a month or two.

Hi Dave,

It really depends on the ground you are working.

Most places in Vic will require Enhance or Fine Gold timing. To get it into Fine Gold, make sure the timing switch on the front panel is set to "Special" and that "fine gold" is selected in the rear menu. The Evo coils are really good for picking up small gold. If the ground is a bit noisy with fine gold, use Enhance.

For the Audio settings, I prefer "Quiet" as it suppresses a lot of the background EMI chatter.
Gain and stabiliser, I try and run these with the numbers as high as possible, higher stabiliser number = less stable, higher gain numbers more gain. You really need to work these 2 settings together with the conditions. Start out at factory preset and work your way from there. If you are having trouble ground balancing and getting the coil all the way to the ground, reduce gain.
If you are getting emi, use manual tune, go up or down 5~10 numbers and this normally tunes it out. You may sometimes have to go more. Do this before adjusting gain/stabiliser to reduce emi noise.

For audio tone, choose a tone range that you can hear well and are comfortable with.
Threshold, I try and set this on the edge of where noise/chatter is just starting to break through fairly constantly.

Cheers Mick

Thanks to everyone that has replied with advice on the settings, I've only used the setup once around the Dunnolly/Tarnagulla area before the efn Covid turned up, on factory settings with earphones it was just about bursting my eardrums, and the interference was doing my head in. I can't go to WA now so I might head over to QLD and try the Warwick, Gympie, and Clermont goldfields, I definitely need to start learning how to use the detector and I can work on the settings you have given me. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers :beer:

I've just got back from Clermont in central QLD where I spent 3 great weeks and YES I found some gold. I want to thank all those that have taken the time to respond to my plea for advice, it's taken me about 40 years to learn how to become a good fisherman, but I hav'nt got that much time to learn how to use this detector and it's because of your willingness to share your knowledge with a stranger that I am enjoying this new found hobby so much. These forums are worth their weight in gold for newbies like me, and again thank you all so much. I can't wait for the borders to reopen so I can get over to WA and do some detecting.

Latest posts