Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can i get your ideas on settings used with the 11 inch minelab DD coil that comes with the GPX 4500? After watching a video of a prospector struggling with hot rocks while using a GPX 5000 with a 17 x 13 evo coil in WA i thought that he should have tried using the Double D coil that comes with the GPX 5000. Also would the Double D coil overcome excessive noise from ground that has been heated up by mid day sun ?

I have not seen the video you are talking about but we have found with 5000 take them out of special and run them in enhanced that does reduce the hot rocks

I have a 4500 and have only used mine a couple of times.
When down in the GT, I set it up for some curly ground
and found that by tweaking your settings, It did run much
quieter.

The ground had brick red rock veins through it. My 15 inch
Nugget Finder Spoked was practically useless in this situation
so I resorted to the double D. Much better.

Start from factory default, Crank your gain up balancing with
the stabilizer settings and go from there. It does help if you
have a small target to practice with.

An easy way to set up an 11" DD for working hot ground is the following.

Set front panel switches to: Custom, Normal, Tracking, DD

In the menu scroll down to the mode and select Hi Mineral.
As all pre-sets are set to a happy compromise, so you may have to adjust Rx Gain as required.

I am newish to prospecting and would love to hear of peoples settings for the 4500,
Yes I need help lol .
Cheers in advance

G'day Moons welcome to PA :beer: I doubt you will get anyone putting up a video with their settings, you've posted under the video threads. All good though I'm sure the mods will be happy to put it in the detector group of threads for you. I can't help you with the 45 but there's plenty who can, try the search icon top left and you will find pretty much everything your wanting help with.

What ever machine you use you will have to sort a range of settings for each variant of ground type you encounter, there's no such thing as the perfect settings.

Perhaps it would help if you started with factory settings and then test. If there is a specific issue you want to overcome, or certain settings for a particular coil/ground type/gold type, you can then ask the question that way.

A lot of different users are going to result in a lot of different answers.

Mono, fixed, enhance.
Vol limit. 18
Gb type. General
Motion. Slow
Audio. Deep
Audio tone. 36
Signal 19
Target vol 12
Response. Inv (it works for me better)
Tracking. Slow
Rx and stab obviously changes, i try to get rx 7 to 9. I like it to run quiet, dont be afraid to go down to 7. Stab stays around 7 or 8.

It would be good to have a test target and try in the feild on the day. Then you can hear it pick it up and have confidence in the setting. Even a small lead shot.
This was picking up 0.1g gold no probs at 2"

Hi all went out today , did no good and when unpacking I bumped the 4500 and it fell off the tailgate of the ute on its end. Now it wont start up , checked the battery, good; and tried another power lead, still no power. Any suggestions please.
Cheers John

That's terrible news John, and owning a GPX myself I really feel for you. The only things I could think of is you've either hit the on/off toggle switch and damaged it inside, or possibly if your battery cable was plugged in at the time you may have damaged one of the pins/wires in the plug or inside the socket.

I suppose it's also possible to break something inside the control box, but I guess before you send it off to Minelab for repair, you may as well start with the knowns before potentially paying out to look for the unknowns.

Good luck mate, I hope you can get it going again

That's not good John, was the battery in the side pocket at the time? If so then are you able to try a different Battery just to narrow down the issue?
Good Luck with it and fingers crossed for you it's nothing too serious.

Has anyone got the wiring diagram out of the battery. I am not game to try the multi metre on it until I have one. I will try to get a mates battery for a comparison check. I took the back off the detector box and all looks OK. What a mine field with those tapes. I put the battery back on charge for over nite.

1604224109_images.jpeg.jpg

Pin 5 that says not used is the charging circuit pin.
Does the charging light come on?

If the battery protection trips, all you need to do is hook it up to the charger until the charge light has cycled and it is good to go again.
I have seen batteries trip from a bad contact in the power lead(not soldered properly to the plug!). Another thing can be a short in the power lead as sometimes the internal insulation can crack due to age and fatigue.

Limpalot, although the strip in the back of the detector looked ok, this can still be the cause of the problem you are having.
The internal part of the power plug moves when the plug is wriggled(every time you plug/unplug your lead), more so on an older detector and this in turn causes the flexible strip to fatigue and crack at the plug or power switch or somewhere in between.

I have repaired detectors that I could not see any defects in the flexible strip, but after replacement the detector has worked perfectly again.

Cheers Mick

Love it. I have the spoked version on mine, and still use it when I want a lighter combo than the 7000, and exploring new ground, as I can sweep it quite briskly.
Also easier to pin-point a deep target compared to the 15" round.