Thomo's treasures

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting used to this Equinox 800
Digging most signals to get a feel for it but nailing some silver is a bonus
The little silver ring was about 6 inches and when l dug it l noticed there was a stone missing.
Run the detector back over the hole and The stone/silver rung up nicely.

1593062152_image.jpg

rockdev said:
Doing well with the nox Thomo, love those silver coins mate. :perfect: Rings are awesome to. :Y:
Thanks mate
It was doing my head in when l first used it because l was using an Xterra 70 for over 10 years which is a different beast.

After digging a lot of trash 13 is almost always an aluminium rip top. :argh:
I'm nailing 1 cent pieces down 8 to 10 inches which is a good sign but a pita to dig

Had a sandscoop delivered yesterday so will be visiting some of the beaches very soon.

One of my brothers inlaw lives out past Miles in Queersland, he showed me a site years ago which had a pub on it back in the mid 1800's but l didn't have my metal detector with me
I've been chewing at the bit to go for a visit

1593154020_img_9671.jpg

Yes they do take a little getting used to mate, Those 1 and 2 cent pieces are terrific sounding coins just like silver's. I found the 13,14,and even 15s if they had that double bleep they were normally pull tabs. Sounds like a great place to have a look where the pub used to be :Y: Good luck mate. :pickshovel:

Have been finding a heap of coins in suburbia over the last few months but one local oval has given up a few that l never expected to find on it thinking its not old enough.
The first one was a Cartwheel penny 1797 and on the same day a George lll penny around 1806 and then a week or so later a George lll farthing around 1806 but the dates cant be read so purely speculation.
They arent worth much other than historical value but good finds none the less.
The cartwheel was at least 8to10
1600062395_e950c8b6-3e44-40e0-a9a0-2841a71669b5.jpg

Cant seem to post photos because of the size :(
1600063155_f226f771-3431-47ec-a8ba-76016d30ef1f.jpg

This is the farthing but cant post the penny.
Is it usual to be able to only download 1 photo at a time

Cant seem to post photos because of the size :(
1600063155_f226f771-3431-47ec-a8ba-76016d30ef1f.jpg

This is the farthing but cant post the penny.
Is it usual to be able to only download 1 photo at a time

Thomo said:
Have been finding a heap of coins in suburbia over the last few months but one local oval has given up a few that l never expected to find on it thinking its not old enough.
The first one was a Cartwheel penny 1797 and on the same day a George lll penny around 1806 and then a week or so later a George lll farthing around 1806 but the dates cant be read so purely speculation.
The cartwheel was at least 8to10https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/17391/1600062395_e950c8b6-3e44-40e0-a9a0-2841a71669b5.jpg

Sounds like a good spot. Maybe the oval has had dirt brought in over the years and that's how the coins arrived there. I found my first cartwheel at a sportsfield near Curl Curl, that area was nowhere near old enough and it's a reclaimed landfill, I reckon the coin came from elsewhere as there was no possibility that it was lost there originally.

2nd one I found was a park in Western Sydney, that was in hard packed clay about 15cm down and in pretty good condition, I don't reckon it had moved far from where it was dropped.

Anyway hopefully the site keeps producing the goods.

Heatho said:
Thomo said:
The cartwheel was at least 8to10https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/17391/1600062395_e950c8b6-3e44-40e0-a9a0-2841a71669b5.jpg

Sounds like a good spot. Maybe the oval has had dirt brought in over the years and that's how the coins arrived there. I found my first cartwheel at a sportsfield near Curl Curl, that area was nowhere near old enough and it's a reclaimed landfill, I reckon the coin came from elsewhere as there was no possibility that it was lost there originally.

2nd one I found was a park in Western Sydney, that was in hard packed clay about 15cm down and in pretty good condition, I don't reckon it had moved far from where it was dropped.

Anyway hopefully the site keeps producing the goods.

This is also in western Sydney in the the Parramatta region and this oval maybe older than what its used for now or what l currently know.

It has been topsoiled a couple of times looking at what l had to dig through.
And these oldies were down at clay level
I got a nice (worn)1917 Florin a few months ago as well as a shilling a few thrips and pennies and halfs
I havent done any research on the area as yet and probably should.

Would certainly be interesting to do some research and find out what the area was used for previously.

Looking forward to seeing what else pops up. :Y:

Latest posts