White's Electronics Shutting Down Manufacturing. They will be missed.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a sign of the times. A great pity. White's has indicated in a letter dated the 18/06/2020 that it will stop manufacting metal detectors and shut up shop.
Too early to say if this will be permanent, things are under consideration...

This is what happens when 1 grump old man controls everything, no innovation no progression of technology.. stagnate and die.

Looks like White's pulled the plug before I had a chance to pull the trigger on the 24K. My history with White's goes back to the old blue box 6000D with GEB MAX..
They have provided me with memorable finds and great build quality and performance. I'll still be swinging my White's machines for many more years and squeezing every last drop of enjoyment from them before they end up as decorations on the wall.
1592653552_1484659764_img_8235.jpg

karelian65 said:
Looks like White's pulled the plug before I had a chance to pull the trigger on the 24K. My history with White's goes back to the old blue box 6000D with GEB MAX..
They have provided me with memorable finds and great build quality and performance. I'll still be swinging my White's machines for many more years and squeezing every last drop of enjoyment from them before they end up as decorations on the wall.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9224/1592653552_1484659764_img_8235.jpg

I got the 24k its a solid detector.. My guess is used whites detector prices are about to shoot WAY up.

I think Whites Factory has too much to offer not to be bought up very soon by a smart investor. Whites factory has the latest surface mount circuit board assembler/solderer machinery, they have good assemblers/techs, they were admittedly needing new employees in Engineering as well as Marketing, all the major detector mfgrs use big box stores for their low to mid range detectors today, Whites was a holdout sticking with obscure dealerships run out of homes and garages, which was dumb, a big cash base to work from and they left it sitting on the table, that is easily remedied by the next owner. You have to move along with the times, and internet sales is where its at these days as well as factory direct sales.

Pro tip, don't guy buying a whites machine in AU right now, the price gouging has begun, prices on TDI units went form $1999 to $2999 in just 5 days..

Elijah said:
Pro tip, don't guy buying a whites machine in AU right now, the price gouging has begun, prices on TDI units went form $1999 to $2999 in just 5 days..

There is a couple of their machines I would buy, but when it comes to PI's there is only one machine id buy.

I hope it is temporary and that they end up doing well and coming back strong. They make outstanding detectors!
I'm a White's fan! :)

Ridge Runner,
I see the pic of your detectors. Did you or has anyone got experience with the MXT Sport?
I'm trying to decided on one for the beach and have been looking at the MXT Sport versus the Beach Hunter?

Found-It said:
Ridge Runner,
I see the pic of your detectors. Did you or has anyone got experience with the MXT Sport?
I'm trying to decided on one for the beach and have been looking at the MXT Sport versus the Beach Hunter?

The MX Sport is the last detector I would be buying, For beach hunting I would be buying one of the TDI's or the Whites models that are meant for underwater use,

That said if you want a machine with full on discrimination then I would be looking and a second hand Minelab Etrac or Explorer and fit it with a 15" WOT coil either way any of these machines will handle the salt better than the MX Sport and give you more depth, The MX Sport never was a good machine and the problems that emerged the day it was launched did so much damage to the company, If it was the only detector on the market I would stop detecting altogether, and take up flower arranging,

The Beach Hunter is a good machine too and is a very successful machine and worth having,

Hope that helps.

Hi Ridge Runner,
That's very helpful! Thank you. I've definitely been looking at the TDI's, but wanted to keep an open mind.
I'll have to look at the two Minelab's you mention. Thank you again for your input!

mxt sniper said:
I think Whites Factory has too much to offer not to be bought up very soon by a smart investor. Whites factory has the latest surface mount circuit board assembler/solderer machinery, they have good assemblers/techs, they were admittedly needing new employees in Engineering as well as Marketing, all the major detector mfgrs use big box stores for their low to mid range detectors today, Whites was a holdout sticking with obscure dealerships run out of homes and garages, which was dumb, a big cash base to work from and they left it sitting on the table, that is easily remedied by the next owner. You have to move along with the times, and internet sales is where its at these days as well as factory direct sales.
mxt snipper
I hope your what you say will happen. That someone will see this company as an excellent proposition for reinvigoration. Even though I'm an avid Minelab guy. I always wanted a Whites from way back. Didn't have the ready's or the time for the hobby. I'm sure your speaking on behalf of many people.

Cheers
John

I read in a forum yesterday that Carl Morland stopped over to Whites Factory, said it was sad to see so much empty space, but he was told that the owner is in middle of evaluating assets, machinery, property, etc so they can put a price on the whole Factory, they said they have several interested buyers already. I sure hope it goes to a knowledgeable buyer who can make the place great again.

We are going to see a lot of iconic companies fail this year or in the next. Hopefully the good people at White's who are loosing jobs and security find a way forward.
The pandemic caused recession may become a global depression. The economic consequences may leave us all looking back fondly at better times whilst looking forward with trepidation. For some every bit of gold may be a little less stress and uncertainty. So good luck to you all, regardless of the brand of machine you swing or the logo on your hat. Be you a lefty or a right wing good ol' boy, stay safe and be a little kinder to yourself and others.

Too many people taking pleasure in others failure, men who with the benefit of hindsight are all so wise. Individuals all too ready to point out what is wrong and who is to blame, whilst offering nothing in the way of solutions. Difficult times with some great challenges ahead of us all, all jokes aside a logo on a hat just isn't going to provide any real answers. Humour is a great way of managing stress and bringing us together. Amazing how a logo on a hat has the power to divide the people of a nation as successful in history as the United States. A Holden Ford thing taken to extremes? All this whilst people are suffering and dying.

Through both good luck and good management we in Australia have missed the worst of this pandemic, so far. Our American and European cousins have seen unprecedented economic damage and the deaths of countless people. The people at White's Electronics not only have to contend with the loss of security and unemployment, but also a pandemic that continues to do it's worst. I am grateful we have managed to do well and sad that others have not. White's is just a drop in the ocean, an icon manufacturer that we recognise but regretfully it is a story repeating itself.

On a more postive not I will continue to enjoy my White's machines, confident they will work reliably for many years more. The people who made my machines used quality parts, clearly well made with pride in the USA. New companies and new technology will evolve, times will improve and we will all move forward. Gold prices are going up and there is more out there. Our beaches are replenished with precious metals every summer so I can keep going for a good while longer.

Again stay safe and be kind. All the best, Karelian.

Latest posts