Gold pinpointers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondering what pinpointers people use for gold prospecting?
So what would the most sensitive pinpointer out there be for that tiny sub gram gold? Ive got a Deteknix pinpointer and its not bad on sub gram bits but now wanting to upgrade and hopefully find something out there even more sensitive as Im finding pinpointing with the 12 inch and bigger coils harder then the 8 inch SDC coil.

I find its quicker to scoop your spoil over the coil than to try and locate tiny gold with ANY pinpointer.
Locating a bigger slug in a deep hole.... well that may be more realistic for ease of location of your target.

Yes I always use a plastic scoop but I mean pinpointing where abouts in the hole the target is eg wall , back middle in the bottom and so on, hence why Im asking what people might use as people that dont use them obviously wont know whats more sensitive on small gold!.
But thanks for your input.

dirtdiggin said:
Yes I always use a plastic scoop but I mean pinpointing where abouts in the hole the target is eg wall , back middle in the bottom and so on, hence why Im asking what people might use as people that dont use them obviously wont know whats more sensitive on small gold!.
But thanks for your input.
Split a 23 gram flat piece in half once. Bought a PI pin pointer from Nenad and now dig smaller holes and haven't damaged a nugget since.

I have a Whites TRX which I find to be good.

Plusses:
1) The Whites TRX is sensitive at the very tip only so you dont get misled as to where the target is by detection from the side of the tip . Most others detect on the sides of the tip as well resulting in a vaguer pinpoint.
2) One of the deepest - easy 8cm on $2coin and 2cm on 1 grain (0.06gm) Au ingot
3) You can adjust sensitivity down in 4 stages for hot ground.
4) runs on 9V or 2xAA and for ages (16hrs ish)

Minuses:
1) if you really try you can find ground hot enough to go off all the time even at 1 sensitivity
2) one of the more expensive
3) After 70years in the metal detecting business Whites closed operations last week so whatever stock is left in stores is it, at least for now.

I mainly use mine in hard ground holes that are starting to get a bit deep and I want to keep centred.