Hunting with the Simplex

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First day out with the new Simplex... quick flick with some old and new coins on the driveway had me settle on Field Mode as a start. First impressions are it will be a great relic detector, all targets, some of which were quite deep, sounded off really well. Deep iron had the TDI numbers going all over the shop and the TDI numbers did jump about a wee bit in general. I did notice though that a nice target had fairly solid TDI, only moving slightly up one number or 2, so that's something I started looking at as the hunt spot has heaps of deep iron. Huge kudos to the Nokta Fors Gold which had been over the main area and left absolutely nowt I could find. Moved to the outskirts and started getting some better results. The old powder/paper cartridge I will need to find out how to preserve, found a few of these with the Fors Gold but they always disintegrated, this one is in fairly good nick. Penny sized coin always gives my heart a flutter on the goldfields because I'm always hoping to add to my token finds, but it's a 50's penny, so came back down with a bump pretty quick, spoon part looks like it might be silver, the large part of slag stuff.. I've this a lot and wonder what was melted down to form it? Bolt thing, some shotgun cartridge caps, little old tack head which was found impressively deep, cog off a clock or something similar, clip of some sort and a great big buckle to add to my collection found right as I was leaving. Really looking forward to using this again, though now I will have the dilemma of using this or the Fors Gold. I bought the Simplex mainly for using in water.
1591854962_img_1289.jpg

Gave the Simplex a fair crack by giving it 1st go on a new spot I found, must say I found myself wishing a sniper coil for this machine, Goldfield ground is so scrubby the bigger coil becomes a hindrance. Found some cool stuff though.

Better stuff, big hook on a chain, old probably silver chain, couple of broach pins, looks like 2 sides of an old penknife, a rectangular item, don't know what, but decorative, nice little spoon, looks too small for sugar???, corset catch, various buttons, cuff link part, various other bits not pictured but junky.
1592889451_simplex_group.jpg

Good stuff. What version software is yours on? Version 2.76 and 2.77 increased ID depth; that is producing an ID on deeper fringe targets. This means that ID's can be jumpy, as the detector isn't getting a clear hit on the object. Earlier versions would produce a target response, but no ID on these deeper targets.

If you want more stable ID's then version 2.78 is the go.
If you want to see all the software versions, go to: https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/simplex-metal-detector/
Then click Software Update.

Hi Nenad the latest batches come with 2.77 pre-installed. Might give the update a try, but I do tend to dig all targets anyway so no biggie, I like finding the old iron tools, found a nice hammer/pick near the big hook

The hammer/pick combo head I found near the hook (both were near an old digging). The tip of the pick side broke hence they dumped it, wonder what size the nugget was that could break a pick :playful:
1593137888_img_1302.jpg