Geovic3 problems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just starting said:
Thanks, Fellas. Got it up and running. Funny thing is the overlay for the old mines doesn`t show the ones i have marked on a very old map sitting infront of me.
Doesn`t matter . I used google earh pro as well as the physical map and the cfa book and geovic, so i think i have the place covered !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just don`t have the name of the mines to trace the history. Still, it`s worth going out for a play to see what is there. Better take my GPS with me because the two legged one i usually take is on holidays in the philippines !!!!!!!

Foz
Im watching from here. Just do it. Cant get lost in the golden triangle. Only bogged to the ass. If going off road. Walking in sometimes pays off. Read the ground.

Ward69 said:
just starting said:
Thanks, Fellas. Got it up and running. Funny thing is the overlay for the old mines doesn`t show the ones i have marked on a very old map sitting infront of me.
Doesn`t matter . I used google earh pro as well as the physical map and the cfa book and geovic, so i think i have the place covered !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just don`t have the name of the mines to trace the history. Still, it`s worth going out for a play to see what is there. Better take my GPS with me because the two legged one i usually take is on holidays in the philippines !!!!!!!

Foz
Im watching from here. Just do it. Cant get lost in the golden triangle. Only bogged to the ass. If going off road. Walking in sometimes pays off. Read the ground.

Will let you know what i come across.

Aussiedigs said:
Try the app Australian Geology Travel Maps by Trilobite Solutions. It can travel with you.

https://trilobite.solutions/maps/

Thanks , Aussiedigs. I had a look at the instructional video. Looks impressive. I will download it to my phone sometime this week.
Can it be viewed on a normal computer ? I couldn`t work out how to do it, but the bloke in the video appears to using a mouse to navigate with.

Thanks.
FOZ

Ha Foz. Remember what I said Not all information is in GeoVic. Trove is another source, and old government papers or some books. Eg. the one I read 300 pages long. My old Pop stated. History repeats is self over and over again.

Got the Trilobite maps paid for and downloaded. I downloaded all the Victorian geological overlays info and also all the gold and mineral overlays.

What a beast of a resource.

Thanks, AussieDigs.

I like how you can leave a trail of where you go and also the function of a voice telling you what soil types you are standing on as you walk or drive over it.

Are you fluent in it`s operation ? I am trying to work out how to identify what all the colourings mean on the maps. I can`t find a legend or menu button to tell me what they all stand for. There are colours in the overlays for different minerals and also boundaries of parks and Aboriginal heritage sites ,but i don`t know what i am looking at.
Plenty of info to be had with this app. The import / export files are foreign to me. Never heard of the terms GIS layers or Geojson files or ArcGis or Qgis and would have no idea how they work. I am just a simple man with simple needs. I only want to see the gold, quartz and iron overlays and only want to know what the colours mean on the maps so i can work out a strategy of the best places to look in the areas i am interested in.

Any small bit of advice is much appreciated.

Thanks .
FOZ

Cool FOZ, just paying it forward. Northeast put me on to it. :Y:

Yep, tap on it to get info on the terrain, then tap on it and it will give you more details.

1567766245_c833ab02-77c4-4208-beaf-f60a50581c97.jpg

Thanks ,AussieDigs.

Still trying to work out how to overlay a map with roads on it over what you have in that screenshot. Is it possible to do that ?

just starting said:
Thanks ,AussieDigs.

Still trying to work out how to overlay a map with roads on it over what you have in that screenshot. Is it possible to do that ?

Buggerd if i know mate. Im about as brilliant as you with these things! FOZ, if i work it out ill let you know mate.

Al.

Also FOZ, if you loaded this to an iPhone or an Android you dont have to pay again to load the same app and overlays to other phones/pads as long as its the same operating system if you get my drift. Easy to do. If you do and need to know how just ask..

Al.

Yep, great app.

Top left you have the button you press to choose the map layer. Apple maps, satellite imagery, downloaded maps, etc.
1567769571_b068cfdc-d69c-4d5d-8963-29b3f5c172da.jpg

And depending on which one you choose you will end with one of these.

1567769658_24b615ad-352d-4ea8-b9a4-7e376dacc9e6.jpg

1567769658_23f38b51-1e72-4df0-8fdf-b39a4845fb0e.jpg

1567769659_d4b2d481-da3e-442b-b1c0-cf9c0539d831.jpg

1567769659_4b5dc480-c28a-4ad4-b907-ea7c5fc93882.jpg

The second button down is the information layer. Gold, silver, deep leads, whatever it is you have downloaded.

I always choose Plot Map View Only instead of Plot Full Data set. It means you might only plot 15 points instead of thousands - just saves a bit of time.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Where i go to has plenty of dirt roads leading in and out of the bush . I was trying to get the road names on the same map as the geo detailed map ,but i suppose if i switch between maps as i hone in on an area of interest, it will work itself out. I`ll have a go at it this weekend. The weather is shocking up my way ,so it looks like i might be staying indoors all weekend.

FOZ

It`s been awhile since i used Geovic and am trying to work out where you find the legend with the meanings of the letters i see on parcels of land ,such as Ls , Pf or Lbr etc etc . I don`t know what they mean .

I am also struggling to find if you can detect on something called dissected uplands.

Is there anyone here who could possibly point me in the right direction ,please .

Thanks.

And the geovic has some 'map engine' issues again , it`s been going on every once in a while. Hope they will do something about it.

Glad I found this thread. Geovic hasn't worked for me for the last couple of days and I thought I must be doing something wrong. I get the message: "Could not create map engine mapengine.selection undefined".

But now I know the site has a habit of misbehaving I guess I'll just wait patiently for someone to fix it.

Flute said:
Glad I found this thread. Geovic hasn't worked for me for the last couple of days and I thought I must be doing something wrong. I get the message: "Could not create map engine mapengine.selection undefined".

But now I know the site has a habit of misbehaving I guess I'll just wait patiently for someone to fix it.

Hi Flute, I've been having trouble with GeoVic as well, but it started working again late last night.

Latest posts