Beef Jerky homestyle

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightjar

Contributor Plus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my third batch of beef jerky, it's getting tastier with each run.
Have to control myself or I'd snack on it all day through.

1592030582_jerky_002.jpg

Always great to make up and experiment with new jerky marinades . Cant go wrong As long as you stick to the basics , a good quality soy sauce and Worcestershire is key salt pepper and lots of chilli flakes ,paprika ,garlic powder and fennel seeds works for me . Im experimenting with thickness and grain ,cutting along the grain makes for a tougher Chewy jerky and across the grain its a bit easyer to break apart , . I like to mix it up . Partly freezing the mussel makes it easyer to cut for me I cut 5 mm strips which dehydrate down to 2 mm . Cryovacing can be a problem if you suck to much air out the jerky Will pierce the bags I try and vac out about 90% of the air seems to work and mine lasts for year Still eating last years batch . I do 20 - 40 kilo batches of venison or beef . Depending on what animals are available .
1592210712_a3e24afb-6388-4f5f-8fb3-819d1822eefe.jpg

Don't forget the lemon juice fellas :drooling: :perfect: 24 hours in that when doing beef reduces pretty much all the fat that didn't get cut off. Once dehydrated the lemon juice creates a salivating moment which results in you reaching for more beer and jerky :) it's a winner :beer:

I read this post a week ago I guess and it inspired me to do a batch, I was making a batch every week there over summer. I had a chuckle at Booney saying he does 20-40kg lots!! Thats incredible!

I just put 4.2kg on and had to use both my square tray dehydrators and thought Id have to get my old round one out too.

Question, you fellas ever use curing salt? also do you cryovac? or does it never last long enough to bother. :drooling:

Have arrived at the very best Beef Jerky to date.
Have been experimenting and feel there won't be many changes to this final recipe.

1: 1kg of "Topside Beef" with minimal fat and gristle, sliced 12mm layers then cut into 12mm strips and then 30mm lengths. Place strips in container.
2: In a mixing jug add;
150ml - Soy Sauce
1 X TSP - Lemon juice
1/2 X TSP - Pepper
1 X TSP - Garlic
3 X TBSP - Sweet Chilli Sauce
2 X TBSP - Worcestershire Sauce
2 X TBSP - Tomato Sauce
2 X TBSP - Honey

Stir thoroughly, put in microwave for one minute and once again stir.
Drizzle contents over meat in container.
Cover container with lid or glad wrap and place in fridge. Stir contents ever few hours during day then leave in fridge over night.
Cut and fit a layer of "oven bake paper" in base of your hydrator being sure to leave centre console clear for air movement. (This will catch drips and make later cleaning easier.)
Finally drain container and place strips on racks. (Be sure to not have segments touching)
Set your hydrator for 8 hours @ 70C

Bon Appetit

Visited Costco for first time and while wandering around came upon two very excited Asian ladies talking, their language and excitedly pointing.
Pork Jerky - Korean barbecue. (They recommended it, so I bought a pack) Absolutely delicious, even though it was fire grilled not dehydrated.
Ingredients: Pork, sesame seeds, soy sauce, salt, garlic, onion powder, black pepper, chilli & sesame oil.
Got me thinking so did some "googling" and came upon this site, heaps of recipes for various tastes.
I'm going to try the coconut flavour first but not using ground beef, sliced only and dehydrator.

https://www.jerkyholic.com/

More than happy with my beef version, but nothing better than experimenting.

Cutting a template for sheet of grease proof paper for the base, weighing it down with an egg ring saves clean up time.

Salmon Jerky
1/2 cup Soya sauce
1 tbsp Lemon juice
! tbsp Brown Sugar
2 tspn Ground pepper
1/2 tspn garlic powder
2 tspn liquid smoke.
1/2 kg thinly sliced salmon.
I add 1/4 tspn of Unami aka msg. Wow.
Marinate for 18hrs. I then dehydrate for 12 hrs (I'm in a high humidity area)
Not the same as beef. Totally different. I do both.

Cracked open the Korean pork jery from Costco's. (grilled) :poop:
It was so sweet you could have put it in an icecream cone.
Cut it into smaller pieces and marinated it over night in a cup of soy sauce.
Dehyrated it next day for 4 hours, it's edible but would never buy again.

Latest posts